| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Protein Powder
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:33 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

soleilune wrote:
I'm in Canada, so I don't know if you can get this but President's Choice Soy Protein (it's The Real Canadian Superstore's house brand) is cheap and good for kinda creamy, milkshake-y smoothies. I also love Manitoba Harvest hemp protein. Both are inexpensive. I originally used Genisoy soy protein, which is good and reasonably priced, and I suspect the PC brand may be made by them.

I should note I have an aversion to the add-liquid-and-shake type protein drinks, so if that's what you're looking at my opinion may be of little use. I'm a frozen fruit smoothie kinda gal.

I'm in Canada too, I'll check out the PC brand!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:19 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I use Nitrofusion it is soy free and 25 g of protein per scoop and sweetened with stevia so if you are doing post workout shake u need to add some real sugar to it but it is sweet in taste. It taste really good and we buy it from bodybuilding.com
Here is the site http://www.nitrofusion.us/
umm
how much do i pay
i use to pay 23 usd for 5 lbs but it has gone up
I do not know the price prob 30 something dollars for 5 lbs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:59 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Quote:
Go to trueprotein.com and find the custom mix option. It's way cheaper than anything else you're going to find. They have pea, rice, hemp and soy that you can blend however you want and add flavors/sweeteners/creatine/taurine/what have you. I use 70/30 pea/rice because it has the best amino acid profile.

I use this too and I'm pretty happy with it. The customer service folks were really nice and sent me a few different samples as well as a list of vegan flavours. Am I the only one gets nausea from Vega?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:16 am 
Chard Martyr

TempestTeapot wrote:
Quote:
Go to trueprotein.com and find the custom mix option. It's way cheaper than anything else you're going to find. They have pea, rice, hemp and soy that you can blend however you want and add flavors/sweeteners/creatine/taurine/what have you. I use 70/30 pea/rice because it has the best amino acid profile.

I use this too and I'm pretty happy with it. The customer service folks were really nice and sent me a few different samples as well as a list of vegan flavours. Am I the only one gets nausea from Vega?

I get nauseous thinking how much it costs to purchase it. So I don't.
I currently like Nature's Way Alive, Vanilla flavor. But I don't purchase protein powders in bulk because I like to vary the flavors; I get sick of them too quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:52 pm 
Saggy Butt

I really like Jarrow Formulas brown rice protein. They sell it at GNC for <$15 and the texture isn't bad. Sometimes I just blend it with almond milk for a snack (less than 100 calories and a lot of protein) but I also put it in smoothies

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:47 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

MyProtein.co.uk (use code MP135271 for a discount on the 1st order) does soy, rice, pea and hemp proteins. I've tried the first three... I don't really like the soy, but that's mainly because I eat way too much tofu anyway.

I use a rice and pea blend, and have found it a lot easier to bulk up on that than soy. Didn't buy a special mix or anything, just one of each and a spoon...

Hemp is expensive, and I am poor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:06 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I use hemp and pea protein. The taste of the hemp takes some getting used to, but I really like the nutty-grassy flavor it has now. Pea protein has a bit of an aftertaste but is neutral to me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:38 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Meggs wrote:
TempestTeapot wrote:
Quote:

I get nauseous thinking how much it costs to purchase it. So I don't.

Exactly. It works out to about $6/serving - insanity.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:36 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Does anyone else add protein powder to their oatmeal? I do this all of the time instead of smoothies and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for what kind tastes the best in oatmeal. I currently have vanilla flavored rice protein and it's ok, bit grainy and has an interesting aftertaste.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:30 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

We just bought a tub of the berry Vega, but I didn't see until after buying it that it's only 7 servings for $40. Ridiculous! We are only using a half serving each, but there's two of us sharing it, so it's still way expensive. I will check out trueprotein.com. I definitely want to avoid soy as I've discovered I am sensitive to it and it aggravates my keratosis, and I absolutely hate the aftertaste stevia leaves in my mouth, so I thought the vanilla chai Vega was horrible.

I have never used supplements/protein before so I feel really stupid about it. I've just been using it after particularly strenuous workouts (I'm in my 4th week of P90X), so not every day, but should I be eating less on days I use the powder? I also use vegan multivitamins, should I not be taking those when I use protein powder? I mean, can you potentially "OD" on any vitamins, minerals, etc?

Ultimately I guess I want to be supplementing in a way that helps maximize the benefits of my workout but without potentially setting off disastrous side effects- for example I don't want to accidently find myself eating 5,000 calories a day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Erika, yeah definitely check out trueprotein. I wouldn't worry about ODing on any vitamins. If you were to continue taking Vega (or the knockoff, Tru-food vegan), I wouldnt bother with a multi since it's all in the powder anyway. But when you get a custom mix from online it won't have nearly the same amount of vitamins and minerals unless you explicitly add the (probably not vegan) vitamin option. As for calories, if you're just having one scoop of vega a day in water or something, that's only adding 120 calories to your diet. I usually have my protein powder in a smoothie as my breakfast.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Vega is really $6-7 a serving? that is totally forking insane. I say this while I am shoving tater tots in my mouth so I can't say that I'm all health foody but that is totally insane.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just use the GNC plain ol' soy protein. It's basic and reasonably priced. I figure as part of a balanced diet, it's fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just started using my True Protein pea/rice blend- it's good, very light and neutral-tasting.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:41 am 
WRETCHED

I would buy the large tubs of Vega at about $50/container and it claims to have 15 servings but we'd split the servings so it'd be 30 servings for ~$50. There was a pretty good site I used to order it from but its been so long, I forget which.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:10 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Another vote for trueprotein...I order 70% gemma, 30% rice.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Just a heads up that someone at veganbodybuilding found out that the pea protein that true protein offers has 600 mg of sodium per serving. Ugh. Might wanna skip that one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:58 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
We just bought a tub of the berry Vega, but I didn't see until after buying it that it's only 7 servings for $40. Ridiculous! We are only using a half serving each, but there's two of us sharing it, so it's still way expensive. I will check out trueprotein.com. I definitely want to avoid soy as I've discovered I am sensitive to it and it aggravates my keratosis, and I absolutely hate the aftertaste stevia leaves in my mouth, so I thought the vanilla chai Vega was horrible.

I have never used supplements/protein before so I feel really stupid about it. I've just been using it after particularly strenuous workouts (I'm in my 4th week of P90X), so not every day, but should I be eating less on days I use the powder? I also use vegan multivitamins, should I not be taking those when I use protein powder? I mean, can you potentially "OD" on any vitamins, minerals, etc?

Ultimately I guess I want to be supplementing in a way that helps maximize the benefits of my workout but without potentially setting off disastrous side effects- for example I don't want to accidently find myself eating 5,000 calories a day!

Yeah - $7/serving is insane. The Shakeology works out to $4/serving but it's still in development. I find it deeply upsetting that soy aggravates your KP - I've had to quit gluten for migraines and I don't want to give up soy too (but man I hate those bumps)

A couple tablespoons of protein powder a day aren't going to give you too much of anything, to include calories. And my fav is the nutribiotic rice protein in vanilla.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vegimator wrote:
Just a heads up that someone at veganbodybuilding found out that the pea protein that true protein offers has 600 mg of sodium per serving. Ugh. Might wanna skip that one.

shiitake! I just saw that, and I just started using my stock of 2 lbs. of 70% pea/30% rice from them! I dunno what to do, use it up or is that just horribly unhealthy?

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

i paid $55 for 17 servings of vega, which isn't a terrible price since i only have half a serving at a time in a green smoothie. the flavor isn't awesome, but it's growing on me. natural flavor only!
i like that it's full of vitamins!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:50 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Quarantined wrote:
vegimator wrote:

shiitake! I just saw that, and I just started using my stock of 2 lbs. of 70% pea/30% rice from them! I dunno what to do, use it up or is that just horribly unhealthy?

I guess vega has 100 something mg of sodium so I guess it's not quite as absurd as it sounds? For a vegan protein powder anyway? Not sure what I'm gonna do with my mix. I've probably got 7-8 lbs of it left. Such a bummer. I'll probably switch to just rice protein in the future and add some whole hemp seeds to my smoothies too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:18 am 
Saggy Butt

i mentioned it upthread but sun warrior works out to less than $1 per serving and the natural (unflavored) doesn't have stevia. i dont care for stevia aftertaste either but for some reason the vanilla sun warrior doesnt bother me. im not an expert or anything but i feel like the nutritionals are pretty good: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sunwa ... otein.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 am 

lindsayh wrote:
i mentioned it upthread but sun warrior works out to less than $1 per serving and the natural (unflavored) doesn't have stevia. i dont care for stevia aftertaste either but for some reason the vanilla sun warrior doesnt bother me. im not an expert or anything but i feel like the nutritionals are pretty good: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sunwa ... otein.html

oh yeah i've heard people like the sun warrior. i want to try that and the raw one - i forget what it's called.

i too hate stevia.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vegimator wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
vegimator wrote:

I guess vega has 100 something mg of sodium so I guess it's not quite as absurd as it sounds? For a vegan protein powder anyway? Not sure what I'm gonna do with my mix. I've probably got 7-8 lbs of it left. Such a bummer. I'll probably switch to just rice protein in the future and add some whole hemp seeds to my smoothies too.

yeah I was looking up the RDA for sodium and I guess if I just take it easy with salt I'll use up the rest of mine, I don't want to waste it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Quarantined wrote:
vegimator wrote:

yeah I was looking up the RDA for sodium and I guess if I just take it easy with salt I'll use up the rest of mine, I don't want to waste it.

I just ordered a shitload of organic "heirloom" hemp protein from veganproteins.com with a coupon code from one of the owners (you can pm him here if you're interested - http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/ ... =6&t=22909) to get it for $7 a pound and I'm going to cut my pea/rice stuff with that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next