| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Ice Cream at JP Licks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

This week, JP Licks started to carry vegan coconut-based ice creams.

I have a friend who works there, and she brought me a pint of one of the flavors last night (coconut almond lace) and it was absolutely delicious!!! They also have pineapple coconut and chocolate coconut. Their website also says that a dairy-free (hopefully vegan? I'll ask my friend about it...) lychee frozen yogurt right now as well.

They've always had sorbet, but I've never been a super fan of it. However, their new ice cream is awesome! They're a bit pricey, but their portions tend to be good (a medium or large is good for sharing, so it's not too expensive if you split it...)

I just figured I'd pass that info along to those of you in the Boston area.

Post subject: Re: Vegan Ice Cream at JP Licks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:02 pm 
Cranky

Sounds delicious! I'll have to grab some next time I'm close to a JP Licks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

whoa, this is big news! I'm thrilled, I've been hoping for this or a while now.

also, it says here that they'll add a hemp-based line to the vegan options in April:

http://www.wickedlocal.com/wellesley/bl ... of-flavors

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This is super exciting! Yay for ice cream being available!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

It doesn't surprise me hat JP Licks of all places is doing this, they've always seemed to try to be super-inclusive (everything is kosher, plus they have low-cal, lactose-free, and sugar-free options) so I was hoping that it would only be a matter of time before they started catering to vegans as well...

I'm also super-excited about the soy and hemp ice creams that they'll be launching (now that I know about them...)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:11 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ooh, now I want to take a JP Licks break, but I spent my eating-out allowance for today at Clover! #firstworldproblem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:54 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Awesome! I used to get their email newsletter but I unsubscribed when I went vegan. I'm going to get back on the list RIGHT NOW!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:57 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Free tasting March 6 according to JP Patch!

http://jamaicaplain.patch.com/events/free-samples-of-non-dairy-ice-cream-at-jp-licks

Oh, and hemp-based will be avail. 4-20 LOLZZZZZZZZZZZ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:10 am 
ugh

Nice!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:05 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So, it turns out that I misread on heir website, and the lychee frozen yogurt is actually dairy... it bummed me out yesterday when I asked about it at the JP Licks by my house, but the chocolate coconut ice cream was enough to cheer me up again. The chocolate is soooo good. Wicked rich... it was exactly like what I remember dairy ice cream tasting like.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:45 am 

http://jamaicaplain.patch.com/articles/don-t-have-a-cow-man

JP residents seem to like the coconut ice cream! I still haven't been there. I'm hoping to get there on Sunday.

I wonder if the cones are vegan?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:27 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:
I wonder if the cones are vegan?

I was wondering that too, I emailed them to find out so I'll let you all know.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:36 am 
Naked Under Apron

Yay! I don't even live near one, but this is exciting. It's good to know that if I'm wandering around Boston this summer, I'll have options. I'm impressed that they're going to do hemp too! I only know the Tempt Mint Chip flavor is amazing, so hopefully theirs will be good too.

Ooh, and soy in June? They're really going all out!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:31 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I got this reply about the cones:

Quote:
Unfortunately, this is a bit hard to tell due to each type of cone containing natural or artificial flavors. We are not given the information as to what these flavors are so we can not guarantee that they are a vegan product. The manufacturers are reluctant about telling consumers what the source of these flavors is and also do not claim these cones to be vegan options. If you have any food allergies, it is generally advised to stay away from products with natural or artificial flavors unless it has a known source.

Thank you,

J.P. Licks Homemade Ice Cream Café

Kind of a weird reply. I guess my takeaway is that I'll avoid the cones altogether.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:37 am 

That's kind of weird! I agree with you though, not a huge deal. I'm very happy to have an ice cream option and not just sorbet. I just loved the idea of walking down the street eating an ice cream cone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:37 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

So, I have some potentially bad news. Someone posted in the Boston Vegan Drinks group on Facebook that they no longer carry it??

"JP Licks no longer carries the vegan ice cream! Sorry to ruin your day but yeah. I finally went (Davis Sq location) and they discontinued it! UGH. it only lasted 2 weeks. They were getting the coconut milk from somewhere in Asia and they had distribution problems. So they are going to switch to Hemp which should be coming out soon. What a dissapointment. Personally I think Hemp ice cream is terrible. Good news is that they said the product is popular and lots of folks asked for it, so the issue wasn't demand just supply."

I never even made it down to a location to try it :( Their website still lists it though...so who knows

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

I was told that you have to actually ask for it. I don't remember when my friend had it but that's what she said she had to do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:16 am 
Cranky

They were out when I went last Friday. They told me demand was higher than they expected. They didn't say anything about discontinuing!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:29 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Ok, well I'm glad to hear these positive responses! I was worried. I will just have to go down to the Brookline location nearby to see for myself this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

Not to be a party pooper, but we had the hemp ice cream today at the JP location, and it was terrrrrrrrrible. I tried all three flavors, and each one was as bad as the next. The coconut ice cream was yummy, but only on par with a decent soy ice cream from the supermarket. Hopefully they do a good job with Phase 3: Soy Ice Cream. The clerk confirmed that they are still going to offer the coconut milk varieties but that there is a problem with suppliers, like others have commented. Bummer about the cones (maybe?) not being vegan. All that said, it's a really nice thing to be able to get vegan treats at the local ice cream shop and to parade down the street with them, though the only parading we did with the hemp flavors was to the garbage can. Shortest $8 parade I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

I thought they weren't releasing the hemp ice cream until the 20th?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:19 pm 
Tofu Pup

That's when the free samples are, but they just started selling it. Not sure why they do it that way, but it was the same for the coconut flavors, apparently. Honestly, after trying the hemp, they need to sweeten the pot a little more than "free" to get me back. Get it, sweeten the pot? Sorry. Oy. But yeah, stuff is bad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

I tried the hemp ice cream today (the hemp flavored one) and I thought it was really good! I think I'm going to go back and get a peanut butter hemp scoop. They also had chocolate hemp.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

The PB is good but I warn you- you really have to like hemp things to actually like the hemp ice cream. If you're not a fan of hemp, go for the coconut.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:13 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I went yesterday and had the PB and the chocolate. I loved both despite not being a huge fan of hemp things. They had tons of flavor and weren't too sweet. Not as good as the coconut but what are you going to do.