| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:14 pm 
ugh

Chloe Coscarelli's cookbook is coming out next week (and you can preorder now): http://chefchloe.com/chloes-kitchen.html

Check it out on Amazon for a list of all the recipes with the "look inside" feature.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

I had a look through Amazon, it looks like it's got loads of yum recipes in it. I must say I've liked the stuff I've tried from her website. I think this book is going on my list.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:48 pm 
Chard Martyr

yeah, her site has good recipes! I'm not sure if I'm ready to buy this, but I'm curious. I hope it shows up in bookstores here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:06 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I like her and her recipes, so naturally I've been looking forward to this cookbook. I didn't see that the look inside feature was up until your post, so yay! The recipes look scrumptious and a lot of the recipes match my taste in food. Wontons with apricot mustard sauce? Sweet potato gnocchi with sage butter sauce? Whoa! The fettuccine alfredo recipe also looks kinda good and not strange. That said, however, I'm not sure we need anymore vegan Hostess cupcake rip-offs.

I do this thing with vegan cookbooks I want to buy and literally count all the recipes that sound appealing to me to justify how much I want a certain book. This has a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:10 am 
ugh

My library has already requested this book for me! I'll post more when I get the book and try out some recipes.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:19 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Ooh, I didn't even make it through the "Small Bites" recipe list before deciding that I want it. I haven't actually made any recipes of hers, but this looks good!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:37 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I really want to buy it but I can't seem to make up my mind. All the recipes sound really good but I'd rather hear a couple reviews before taking the plunge.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:42 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I really like the recipes I've tried! I make her almond alfredo sauce with kale and shitakes all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:37 am 
Nailed to the V

I was very fortunate to get a review copy and have only tried one recipe so far: the Mongolian BBQ. It is incredible!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:34 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I really want to get this book when it comes out! It looks really great!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:35 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I really want to get this book when it comes out! It looks really great!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

Pssssstt... book contest on my blog.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I preordered it, then canceled my order. Looks like she has lots of great recipes in there, but I can't justify another cookbook right now on my moving/house-saving budget. All of the recipes I made from her website (before she took them down) were great, though. I'm sure it'll be a fantastic cookbook.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm having a hard time justifying another cookbook, but my kid adores Chloe and the recipes do look really good, so I may need this one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I received a press copy a few days ago, and it's a gorgeous cookbook. I can't decide what to make first, and I find it surprising that she does't have a tv deal yet... also: lots of cashew cream.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:09 pm 
Tofu Pup

ScooterDiva wrote:
I preordered it, then canceled my order. Looks like she has lots of great recipes in there, but I can't justify another cookbook right now on my moving/house-saving budget. All of the recipes I made from her website (before she took them down) were great, though. I'm sure it'll be a fantastic cookbook.

I just went to her website...all the recipes are still there.

Anywho, I've tried lots of recipes from her blog, and they all turned out great. I ordered the book today and should get it in the mail soon. I'm very excited and will repost when I've had the chance to make some of the recipes!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

adaline wrote:
ScooterDiva wrote:

I just went to her website...all the recipes are still there.

Anywho, I've tried lots of recipes from her blog, and they all turned out great. I ordered the book today and should get it in the mail soon. I'm very excited and will repost when I've had the chance to make some of the recipes!

She used to have a lot more recipes up than she does now :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

Mine came in the mail yesterday. Tonight I made the fettucine Alfredo. It was really good and easy to make. Can't wait to try more recipes!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:18 am 
Tofu Pup

I've made a few things from her website and they were all great. I got the cookbook last week, have already made quite a few things that were awesome, with lots more planned to make!

I was able to sub a few things for all of the allergies my son has with no probs (used homemade hemp mayo instead of silken tofu for the warm spinach and artichoke dip). I really like that the recipes call for minimally processed stuff - really sick of cookbooks using soy cream cheese, etc. since they are so expensive and not very healthy.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:49 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My copy arrived and it looks great but I do wonder if she is having a competition with Ani Phyo about getting photos of herself in the book. It bothers me less here though because there are lots of really nice food pics too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Efcliz wrote:
My copy arrived and it looks great but I do wonder if she is having a competition with Ani Phyo about getting photos of herself in the book. It bothers me less here though because there are lots of really nice food pics too.

That made me giggle. I went to the bookstore to flip through it yesterday, but only noticed a few of pictures of her. Then again, I was juggling looking at the book and my daughter, who had been stuck in the house with a fever for a week. The first venture out could not be expected to go well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:29 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I've made a few things out of Chloe's Kitchen (tempeh piccata, southern black eyed peas with buttery biscuits). I've also made a few things from her blog. I think Chloe will do a lot for getting veganism into the mainstream, which is great.

I do have a few thoughts about the book, some positive and some not so much. Here goes:

-The two recipes I tried so far from Chloe's Kitchen recipes were by and large successful. In particular, the biscuits from the cookbook were the best I've ever made--really light and fluffy. It could be because I had never tried using a food processor before for biscuit dough.

-The cookbook is a bit too heavy on the glossy photos, imho. This is great for encouraging nonvegans to try the book. It also jacks up the price. That's a price I'm willing to pay if it reduces the number of animals harmed/killed in the long run.

-Her recipes sometimes lack necessary directions. Nothing earth shattering, but perhaps the editing of the book or testing of the recipes could have been better? A few examples: 1) she doesn't say whether or not to grease the baking sheet for the biscuits (I greased); 2) she doesn't give approximate times for cooking things like onions, and instead just says, "until soft."; 3) she fails to note in the ingredient list that the margarine that will be needed has to be melted so I had to do a very last minute melting. I'd like to hear from others as to whether these complaints are overly picky--feedback is welcome!! I have been making vegan food for a long time so I can survive without these directions, but for beginning cooks, I'd hate for a recipe to fail because of inadequate directions. I never have these complaints about Isa's books :)

Sorry so long!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:32 pm 
Tofu Pup

Yeah, Chloe is super hot. I wonder how in the heck she stays so thin, as most of her recipes are NOT healthy. Still looking forward to getting my copy (shipped today) and emanningbx I do appreciate your input.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:36 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Onions are one thing I don't really care about the cooking time for. I just do it to my own liking, because I use onions in sooooo many savory recipes.

This already has 15 reviews so far on Amazon, all 5 stars. Woop! I also think she could be a good mainstream voice for veganism. I'm going to go ahead and buy this when my tax refund comes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:36 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Just to clarify, that "I am a ho" line in my post was meant to say the abbreviation for "in my humble opinion" but for some reason it automatically converted to what it says there. OOPS! I am not a ho :) but sometimes I play one on TV.

Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next