| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a deodorant/antiperspirant recommendation
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

As a new vegan, I am moving away from products made by brands who test on animals, as my products run out. It's almost time to find a new deodorant to replace my Dove Ultimate.

I need the "one step up from basic but not clinical" type of product...i.e. the Dove Ultimate or Secret Outlast.

I bought one of the Trader Joe's unscented deodorants with cotton and it does nothing for me at all, unfortunately.

Any recommendations for something that is animal friendly but works?

Post subject: Re: Need a deodorant/antiperspirant recommendation
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I use Tom's of Maine deodorant.
I'm pretty sweaty (I sweat when I'm nervous or anxious, which is pretty much any time I'm in public)
Tom's doesn't stop you from sweating, it just masks the smell of sweat.
I'm sure there is better deodorant out there.
I like the way the apricot Tom's smells. My boyfriend uses lemongrass Tom's and it stung my armpits. I think the apricot is milder.

http://www.veganbeautyreview.com/2010/1 ... undup.html
The comments under this article seem helpful. (Weird!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:32 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Ban is accidentally vegan.

For something more natural- LaVanila (it's deodorant, not anti-perspirant) is great but super expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:43 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Yeah, I use Ban. It's the only accidentally vegan antiperspirant that works for me. I think Mitchum is also vegan (at least the gel) but it never kept me dry.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:56 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have some recommendations, but deodorants work very differently on different people, so these may or may not work as well for you as they do for me:

Crystal Body Deodorant -- http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=crystal+body+deodorant
Vegan, Leaping Bunny certified

Soapwalla Kitchen -- http://www.etsy.com/listing/35641572/deodorant-cream
I really love this one, but it will sting on freshly shaved underarms. It's a cream, so you rub some in with your fingers, which I thought would be annoying, but I ended up not minding it at all.

Jason Natural (Tea Tree) -- http://www.iherb.com/Jason-Natural-Deod ... /6286?at=0

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:03 pm 

I've used Mitchum in the past but it really stung so I stopped using it...I shave my underarms every time I shower so I can't avoid the sting. Will pick up some Ban the next time I go to the store and then start looking for something more natural. Thanks for the recommendations! :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I use Mitchum and its okay, but Ban is vegan?!!! Its what I used before I went vegan, who knew XD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I liked TJ's Cotton one for a while until it flat-out stopped working for me, which sucked. Now I use Desert Essence chamomile deodorant and I like it thus far. Unfortunately I don't have an 'ole faithful' because all deodorants eventually putter out and stop working for me. So annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:36 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I use Tom's and keeps me from being stinky (and I am generally pretty stinky, so that's saying something). I've tried the Jason stuff and that doesn't do much for me. Switching to a deodorant from an antiperspirant wasn't as big of a deal as I thought, and now at least I don't get yucky stains on my clothes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:52 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I use Jason, and I found that compared to using Secret I actually sweat WAY LESS. I used to end up with huge wet pit marks on all my clothes, but now I don't. Weird! I like Jason, but I haven't tried any of the others because I was immediately happy with Jason.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:06 pm 

I needed this thread about two hours ago, before I broke down and bought questionable deodorant. I really want to try the Jason or the Ban, but right now I have enough ineffectual deodorant to last me over a year--at least $20 worth of deodorant that doesn't work but has comforting labels.

I've spent almost a year and a half trying different non-evil deodorants, and so far no luck.
Tom's of Maine unscented: by my second class, I was getting somewhat sweaty and could smell myself; this might have worked if I took a shower every single day and had time to re-apply every hour.
Tom's of Maine roll-on: same thing, but moister
Crystal (rock, roll-on, etc): no
Natural something Ocean Breeze spray-on: just bought this a week ago, I love the idea, but it doesn't work for me and the "spray-on" is not so convenient unless you've just taken a shower and aren't wearing clothing
Others: over the years, even pregan, I've tried various deodorants because I don't like all the chemicals.

Results: I need chemicals. I just want to make it through my classes without smelling my own armpits.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

I currently use Tom's of Maine, the unscented one. I love how it's cruelty-free and all-natural, although I'm also curious about the Jason one. The Tom's works pretty well for me but sometimes I wish it was just a little stronger. I might try Jason deodorant, or just stick with this kind.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Jason and Tom's just irritated my skin and did little for smelliness. The crystal, surprisingly, has worked best for me and no irritation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:28 pm 

I really like Earth Science, which you can find at Whole Foods. The rosemary mint works the best, but if you have sensitive skin, I'd probably do a different scent (I think rosemary is an irritant for some?)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:33 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Another vote for Earth Science! I get the Lavender and something scent, and I like it pretty well. I just bought Nutribiotic from Vegan Essentials (also Lavender) and it's pretty decent, too. So far I've liked many products from both of those brands.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:14 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I use the Earth Science - Liken Herbal Scent. It is the only natural deoderant that has consistently worked for me. It has a really nice fresh scent too. Toms does not work for me at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I make my own and it works really well:

http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_c ... eodor.html

except lately I just use coconut oil instead of shea and cocoa butter, and I don't bother with the essential oils.

I realize you might not want to make you own, but it works so much better for me than any I've ever bought in a store. The last few years some etsy sellers and the like have started selling similar products to this so you could go that route too- I think someone linked a similar one above, or there's Bubble and Bee which have "creams" if you scroll down the page:
http://www.bubbleandbee.com/servlet/the ... Categories

Sometimes in the summer I'll also use Certain Dri, which is vegan, a few times a week at night to cut down on perspiration, but I haven't bothered too much the past few years.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:33 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

as others have stated above, ban and mitchum are "accidentally vegan" antiperspirants easily found at the local drugstore.

i have been using more natural deodorants for awhile now, and i've amassed a little collection. hands down, soapwalla (http://www.etsy.com/listing/35641572/deodorant-cream) is my favorite natural deodorant. it's a little weird to apply at first, as it's a cream and you apply it with your fingers, and it's a has a bit of a powder after-feel to it, but it works well. i apply it right after a shower and i wake up with stank-free underarms the next morning. it has an unoffensive herbally-type smell to it.

other deos i enjoy:
earth science lichen plant: smells sort of like baby powder and works super-well, i would say it's my #2 behind soapwalla.

tom's of maine long-lasting deodorant in apricot: not as long-lasting as it claims (i was slightly stinky by the end of the day), but it smells super-good. fruity pits!

the crystal rock roll-on/spray: works well, no issues, unscented. lately i've wanted a scented deodorant, but i keep this around in case hubby or i run out. the spray works well for those who don't shave their pits.

nature's gate spring fresh deodorant: smells aMAYzing, but leaves pits feeling sticky and definitely needs reapplication throughout the day.

fwiw, hubby uses the herban cowboy's "dusk" deodorant stick and it works super-well for him, plus it smells all manly and nice. he also likes the crystal deodorant.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I never knew Ban was vegan! In case you are curious they are owned by Kao here is a bit about animal testing from them:
Quote:
In developing safety assessment methods for our products and materials, Kao utilizes cultured cells so that no animal is used. For example, skin allergies are complex mechanisms affecting the entire body, and they involve many stages.

http://www.kao.com/jp/en/corp_rd/skills_01_04.html

The crystal didn't work for me, everyone has a different body chemistry! It never hurts to try!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:57 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I really like the Earth Science "Lichen Plant" deodorant. I'm a pretty heavy sweat-er and it keeps me nice and dry even when I spend the day in the kitchen at work. All natural, and leaping bunny approved!

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

All the natural deodorant brands make me smell worse than not wearing any deodorant at all, I swear.

I've been using a crystal for a couple years now, and it works. It doesn't keep you from sweating, if that's what you're going for, but it keeps you from stinking. I can smell myself if I'm really sweating, like out in the heat or whatever, but I think that's probably normal even with a typical non-vegan antiperspirant. And they last a really long time. I only replaced my first one because I dropped it on a tile floor and it shattered.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:35 pm 
Dead by dawn

I just can't do without an antiperspirant in addition to deoderant so none of the natural brands for me. I like the women's Mitchum, the white solid, not the gel. It works and the transfer to my clothes is pretty minimal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:59 am 

I just wanted to add that I now smell again, so I think I'm going to start a company where I sell those deodorant shoe balls, but for your armpits instead. I will call them Pit Balls. Just strap 'em under there. And the logo will be a happy pitbull. That is all.

Nobody steal my idea!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:03 am 

I found a store yesterday that carries about 5 different varieties of natural deodorant...and I even found 3 different ones at Walmart. I bought Ban because I think I also need both components, the antiperspirant and the deodorant, particularly when it's hot and humid outside, because I don't want to stain my clothes. I will try some of the more natural ones probably in the fall when it starts cooling down again. :)

My dad makes his own with cornstarch and baking soda (I think) and says it works great. Might have to give that a try too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

Since my teen years I've tried many brands from Secret to Tom's of Maine (I would NEVER use Secret now because of animal testing). The best deodorant hands down is the Crystal Rock Salt or whatever. The packaging is horrendous and it's less convenient than regular deodorant (you have to run the salt crystal under running water), but it works for me. It's also the ONLY fragrance-free deodorant. I don't want to smell like my deodorant - I want to smell like my perfume. Tom's of Maine unscented smelled like fresh ginger, which I actually liked, although some people might be put off. A writer actually tested a bunch of deodorants for Slate and found the Crystal to be second only to Secret Clinical Strength.

As for people who have used the Crystal deodorant without success - I understand. Deodorant, like perfume, is very specific to each individual. Sweat glands are controlled by hormones and they work unpredictably. Deodorants react with your body based on many factors, including pH, temperature, stress levels, etc. So what works for one person may not work for her friend.

Etsy also has great deodorants. A list of shops with good ones:
Stegosaurus Rex
orangefuzz
Sam's Natural
raganella
Fat and the Moon
meowmeowtweet

I hope that helps!