| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bay Area date ideas.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

So I live in north Oakland with my girlfriend and our relationship is on rocky grounds. We are starting couples counseling in lieu of breaking up which Im would really like to avoid.
but one of the issue that I can be proactive on has been lack of dates, I need some good ideas beyond going out to Souley Vegan & Beer Rev or Saturn. Cheap ideas are a plus, finances are another issue we are having.

Post subject: Re: Bay Area date ideas.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:53 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Bike stuff! There are the bike parties, and SFBC puts on rides. I imagine the EBBC does as well. Check their websites and twitters and stuff.

Check out this website: http://sf.funcheap.com/events/ They have East Bay and SF stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This weather blows for outdoorsy stuff, but do you like hiking? East Bay Regional Parks has some really great trails above Berkeley and Oakland. Picnics can also be fun and romantic and cheap. Lake Temescal and Middle Harbor Shoreline are two of my favorite parks for picnics.

Most museums have free days. I think SFMOMA is first Tuesdays and OMCA is second Saturdays.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

jordanpattern wrote:
Bike stuff! There are the bike parties, and SFBC puts on rides. I imagine the EBBC does as well. Check their websites and twitters and stuff.

Check out this website: http://sf.funcheap.com/events/ They have East Bay and SF stuff.

I try to get her to go riding, she says she doesn't like riding without a destination like I do. We used to ride critical mass but she seems to have little interests in doing it now and did it mainly for me. We do end up riding a good bit just cause it our only form of transportation though

yeah i check sf.funcheap.com we find some stuff occasionally, i just need to be more proactive about planing to actually go out to them or suck it up and go to the ones im not as keen on thats she is into

I would say our last nice date was renting paddle boat on the bay at Jack London a couple months ago. I wanna do that again soon, though its a little pricy but I also dont wanna obviously repeat dates.

We also occasionally go out to pier 39 but its become pretty routine...go to the candy shop, see the sea pups (which i love doing), and play some skee ball and air hockey which we both enjoy.

lat night i tried taking her to a bar called Smittys that we hadnt been to because its has a shuffle boards table and she really like shuffle board. The other bar we would go to to play burned down on telegraph ave. Smitty turned out to be a dive, and not the cool punk dive, sad old man dive. we had a beer each and left after two round of shuffle board. She seemed understanding though that it didnt work out

we have also gone to the Musee Mecanique and Play Land Not at the Beach, but if felt like it was gettign old and we havnt been in awhile. I could probably work a visit to those palces in again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Keep your eye on sites like LivingSocial, which sometimes has great deals on stuff you might not consider otherwise. Mike went on a Ghost Tour around here a while ago and had a really great time, and I know LS has deals on that kind of stuff as well as historical tours and the like.

As far as riding, the SFBC and Sports Basement both have city rides that are a bit more structured than just riding around, like their architecture rides, where they go to specific architectural sites of interest and stuff. That might be better for your gf?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

There's a pinball museum in Alameda that might be up your alley. $15 isn't super cheap, but it's not much more than a movie ticket. There are a couple vegan restaurants on the island too. http://pacificpinball.org/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We havnt really checked Alameda out, I want to go riding around there, lots of abandoned stuff. Maybe i can plan a Saturday or Sunday trip there

we tried taking the ferry to angel island, but have always missed it. frustrating, perhaps I give that another go

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

There's a nice little beach called Crab Cove on Alameda that could round out a day trip. Not get in the water and go for a swim nice, but put your feet in the sand and get some Vitamin D nice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:16 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I went to NightLife at the Cal Academy of Sciences for the first time recently and had a really good time. It's $12 a person to get in, and the cocktails run pretty steeply, but everything else there is cheap. Date and I planning to go back but bring a flask. (Adulthood!)

SFMOMA has half price night on Thursdays.

Writers with Drinks is once a month in the Mission and it's a sliding scale $5-10 pay what you can admission and it's really fun and hilarious (Saturday nights).

Nerd Nite is once a month, and although I haven't been, I hear it's really fun. I'm planning to go next week. As far as I know, there's no cover charge. It's at the Rickshaw Stop at Fell/Van Ness.

I'm part of a sci-fi/fantasy bookclub that meets once a week in Noe Valley that's really fun. That's free, so if you like SF/F, I can give you the info on that!

First Fridays of the month are Art Murmur in Oakland, which is free unless you buy food/drink.

First Thursday in SF galleries stay open late and are free, but I've never actually successfully gone to that.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If you're feeling a bit macabre, the Mountain View Cemetery is beautiful and probably an easy bike ride from wherever you are. Great views of the city and it's fun to look at the ornate, old gravestones.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

mel c wrote:
If you're feeling a bit macabre, the Mountain View Cemetery is beautiful and probably an easy bike ride from wherever you are. Great views of the city and it's fun to look at the ornate, old gravestones.

i do like that cemetery, ive spent a whole day there. Will see if she is up to going there

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:54 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

One of the movie theaters in Downtown Berkeley (I think it's the UA on Shattuck) shows old movies on Thursdays at 8pm for $5 (or at least they used to, haven't been up to Berkeley in a while).

Cordonices Park in Berkeley is a fun walk from BART/picnic spot for when the weather gets better. Same with Middle Harbor Shoreline Park in the Port of Oakland.

Meetup.com is your friend for fun activities! I bet you could get some date ideas by checking into what people are doing around here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

SkepticalVegan wrote:
We havnt really checked Alameda out, I want to go riding around there, lots of abandoned stuff. Maybe i can plan a Saturday or Sunday trip there

we tried taking the ferry to angel island, but have always missed it. frustrating, perhaps I give that another go

I'll second Angel Island -- you can hike/bike around it, have a nice picnic, great views,interesting civil war stuff all over. - I'd warn against riding bicycles in/to Alameda. Its a pain to get there on bike and apparently thorn bushes line all the streets or something (when on a bike date there we both got flats on both wheels and were pulling bits out of my tires and fixing flats for months after -- learned from locals that that's a thing there)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

There's actually camping on Angel Island too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:27 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

It is a little pricy, but I highly recommend the Exploratorium! It makes for a really fun date.

There's paddleboats on Lake Chabot, with special discount deals some days: http://www.norcalfishing.com/chabot/index.php

Although I have heard of people sneaking in at night. Relive your youth!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:18 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Exploratorium admission is free the first Wednesday of every month. And all the other free museum days are listed here: http://freemuseumday.org/sf.html

To marvel at the redwoods, go to Muir Woods April 21-29 for free admission during National Park Week.

You should also go to Flacos. Like. Now. On Tuesdays the taquitos are only $1 each. Wednesdays, $7 for the huge huarache. $2 Taco Thursday.

And there are tons of vistas to visit for great sunsets in Berkeley... It's always romantic to watch the sun set behind the Golden Gate Bridge with your significant other.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:06 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

chaioli wrote:
And all the other free museum days are listed here: http://freemuseumday.org/sf.html

Oh wow. Thank you for this!!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:29 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Go to the Farmer's Market at Grand Ave and walk around and gorge yourselves on all the free samples! Then take in a movie at the old grand lake theatre.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:29 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

I hope things get better with you and your partner! Alex and I created a system where we each get a day a month to plan however we want and we take each other out. It's really gotten us both out and doing more than our usual shtick and it's helpful for keeping you trying new things!

My favorite museum is the YBCA; the exhibits are good but accessible. Admission is only like $7, and it's only $5 with a transit stub or student ID. The Cartoon Art Museum is also great, admission is $7. Both are near BART.

Take up a new hobby or activity together! Tennis! Whittling! Toy Trains! Puzzles! Or something less lame! I don't know what the kids like these days.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:22 am 
Nailed to the V

On one of our first dates JedxCore and I went to SCRAP and picked through the enormous stash of stuff. It was really fun and we learned a lot about each other, because it was fun to find out why he was so excited to find giant potato mashers or tell him why I needed that old photo album full of stranger's photos. I think we both went home with a big bag of stuff for about six bucks, and we had lots to talk about for the rest of the day.