| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: World Vegetarian vs. World of the East Vegetarian
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:41 am 
Saggy Butt

Would you recommend one over the other? Worth getting both? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: World Vegetarian vs. World of the East Vegetarian
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:03 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Personally, I really like World Vegetarian and I have both. I have never made anything out of World of the East. I know people like both though. I just find World Veg to be very accessible and I have made a lot of recipes from it. I should try to cook something out of World of the East sometime, but I always feel like the recipes seem harder or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:36 pm 
Cranky

I own World Vegetarian, and I checked out World of the East from the library a while back. WV seemed better to me, and I never bothered to make anything out of WE before returning it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:54 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've had World of the East Vegetarian for over 20 years and I love, love, love it. It was the cookbook that introduced me to Indian cooking and taught me to love vegetables :)

I have a couple of her other Indian cookbooks and have made lots of the veggie recipes out of them, most many times.

But I picked up World Vegetarian in a bookstore a few years ago and it didn't really appeal to me. Don't know why, but maybe I should have another look.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:13 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've had both for a long time. World of the East Vegetarian has never appealed to meas much as World Vegetarian, though there are a few good recipes in there (the noodles with peanut sauce recipe is a standby). Other things I've made out of it are mostly good or just ok. However, almost everything I've made out of World Vegetarian was really good or outstanding.

I should probably go back through World of the East Vegetarian, though. I bet there are good recipes in there I just haven't tried.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I also have both. World Vegetarian is much more of a "what do I do with this vegetable in the fridge" book, so I tend to use it a lot more. The other one has less supermarket-friendly ingredients and things like instructions for seitan from scratch (i.e. how to wash the starch out of flour) and adzuki bean jelly. It depends what you're after. If you're looking for Indian, there's also Julie Sahni's quite comprehensive vegetarian book.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I recently made some more recipes from World Vegetarian that I loved and I thought it would be time to share some reviews in this thread.

General:
This book is massive and organized by ingredients. If you don't know what to do with a bunch of spinach or an eggplant, go here. It has mainly recipes from Indian, other Asian and Mediterranean cuisines, also a fair amount of Carribean and African ones. But if you are looking for, say, Swedish recipes, this book is not the one to turn to. The recipes tend to be simple and basic, just what people actually cook and eat in the different parts of the world. They are also full of new (at least to me) techniques and seasoning combinations, so I really feel that my cooking knowledge has developed some by using this book.
I find myself turning to it a lot and have yet to be disappointed by a recipe. Apart from the recipes int the dairy/eggs chapter the book is very vegan friendly. Good index, couple of pictures in the middle.

Individual recipes:
Chickpeas cooked in a moghlai-style (p. 32): fragrant, pretty uncomplicated chickpea curry, so what's not to like? A large can of chickpeas is the right amount for half a recipe.

Chickpea pancakes (p. 37): I love those things in any variation. This recipe is a great base to start experimenting from. A half recipe feeds two people well (as a side to a saucy curry)

Red kidney beans for jamaican 'peas and rice' (p. 48): My boyfriend cooked this for me when I was sick (sans scotch bonnet) and it was very lovely. I asked him to add the rice right into the beans so it would soak up the coconut flavour and seasonings during cooking and I would make it that way again. This recipe made me aware of allspice and makes great leftovers.

Red lentils with zucchini (p. 70): Indian type vegetable dal. Easy to make and lovely flavored with cardamom and cinnamon.

Beets with mint and yoghurt (p. 141): Nice, pretty salad-type side to any Indian or Middle-Eastern menu (this is a cold dish). You do need good, neutral yoghurt for it though.

Broccoli with spinach (p. 145): Unusual combination for an Indian side. I did not blanch the chopped vegetables in water beforehand as i didn't want to drain all of the nutrients from them and was too lazy as well. They cooked just fine in the pan after adding some liquid and covering it with a lid (I cooked the liquid off afterwards). Nice recipe for a green side but not spectacular.

Spicy eggplant stew with potatoes, mushrooms and chickpeas(p. 196): Nice, hearty stew with Indian seasoning. I pureed it a little with an immersion blender. I thought the mushrooms didn't quite fit in though.

Green bean salad (p.203): Make sure to make the walnut sauce to add in! I used fresh tomatoes and it was lovely. The walnut sauce I kind of eyeballed though because I only had breadcrumbs, no actual bread. Still worked out beautifully. We ate the dish hot/warm and it was very good that way.

Spinach with browned onions (p. 229): very basic but nonetheless delicious green side dish to any indian or middle eastern menu. I used frozen spinach (you need much less than the 3 pounds given in the recipe that way, maybe half the amount) and we polished the whole pan off between the two of us.

Mushrooms with wine and coriander seeds (p.247): This one was a big surprise! The ingredients looked to basic but somehow the sum was so much more that its parts. Absolutely delicious and super simple to boot! I did not use the lemon juice because I thought the wine provided enough acidity.

Gujarati-style hot sweet-and-sour potatoes (p. 273): Love! unusual combination, easy to make. Highly recommended to anyone! the recipe as given does not make 4 servings as stated though, more like 2-3.

Lemon rice (p.380): I like to make this as a side for a little more elaborate Indian meals. Very lovely and fragrant.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:07 pm 

I just noticed that a kindle edition of World Vegetarian is coming out in two days. I'm considering purchasing it but I'd like to know what percentage of the recipes are from other countries besides India. I already own Indian cookbooks so if I were to buy this, it would mostly be for the other recipes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:38 pm 

The kindle book for <i>World Vegetarian</i> just dropped in price to $7.99, so I bought it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:57 pm 

World Vegetarian is now priced at $5.99.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:43 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

i only just realized this was about the Madhur Jaffrey books! i have World Vegetarian, which is probably in the top 10 cookbooks my partner & i use most often. we've happened upon some really cool dishes in there, like an Indonesian-style tempeh (that's all i can come up with that was definitely in the book, but there are more!)

LFL, have you made anything from it yet? if so, what do you think of it so far?

we have some pretty good Chinese and Indian markets in Bristol that carry a bunch of different vegetables i'd like to try but don't know how to use, so i'm wondering if i should get World of the East? maybe i'll see if our library has it before i commit to owning yet another cookbook.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:06 pm 

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
LFL, have you made anything from it yet? if so, what do you think of it so far?

Not yet. Up until recently I've been staying off my feet due to a fracture in my foot, so I couldn't cook. But I've looked through parts of the book and it looks wonderful. I went through the greens chapter seeking recipes for Thanksgiving and I'm considering making the broccoli rabe/rapini recipe if I can find any locally. If I can't, then possibly another green or the green beans with shallots. Both look terrific.