| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: post about your process and unfinished work!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:46 am 
Saggy Butt

Just found out that my figure drawing class is canceled. Boo. I was really looking forward to having some at least semi-formal education on anatomy, too. Upshot: in prepping for the class I've managed to establish a pretty decent, regular drawing practice.

Also, I showed a friend some of my drawings and she wants to commission me to create some art for her new place. In this case "commission" may just mean "will you draw X for me?" but I'm okay with that as I'm still learning and it's something I'd do anyway.

She also wants me to help with a mural or large-scale painting of an octopus. Fun!

Other art/craft projects on the horizon:
-Reinvigorating some tired, banged up converse with mod podge and kick asparagus decorative paper
-(Perhaps) building a birdhouse of a deconstructed Victorian mansion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:48 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

For my Graphics final exam, I am designing a tour poster for a band based around the theme of 'Geometric'.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

I started this painting a few months ago, set it down, and now I'm afraid to pick it back up for fear of ruining it. I've never done a portrait before!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:59 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I am a firm believer that you can't ruin a work. It's all just process.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pandacookie wrote:
I am a firm believer that you can't ruin a work. It's all just process.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:53 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

(Carla Speed McNeil, Finder, Talisman)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

I like that way of looking at it, a process. I've just gotta get more comfortable with the process.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:37 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Garrick wrote:
I like that way of looking at it, a process. I've just gotta get more comfortable with the process.

Not everything you make will be an amazing masterpiece. I've found a good bit of my work is crepe, but you learn and move forward and will get some good stuff eventually. Keep moving!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pandacookie wrote:
Garrick wrote:

Not everything you make will be an amazing masterpiece. I've found a good bit of my work is crepe, but you learn and move forward and will get some good stuff eventually. Keep moving!

yes! same! I have made a LOT of bad work, like an insane amount. gotta make a lot of bad stuff so you can get to the good stuff! I have learned through experience that being hesitant about work just makes things miserable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:55 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

yes yes. And sometimes you have to just get rid of the bad stuff. Throw it away! I feel like art programs train you to save every little thing and you just don't need it all. Purge and breathe and make something new. Get down!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yes! every year I get rid of the stuff I hate.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:20 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

So all of this "stuff you don't like" business sort of ties into the model I just got assembled but haven't painted yet...

Here it is, in its kind of crappy glory:

It's a really cheap Japanese model from the 70's, and you can tell. Pieces didn't fit, pieces broke or got lost, so I'm using it as an opportunity to figure out things like making replacement pieces. The little metal handhold things on the turret there are made from wire because I managed to bust the plastic piece, and really it was easy enough and came out well enough that in the future I may not bother with the plastic bits at all. More difficult to deal with is the general cheesiness of the kit-- the top edge of the turret there doesn't quite fit because pieces were warped. I had to glue and clamp and I'm still not sure it'll be any good... And I had to sand down mold marks and stuff. But since it's a cheap little kit and not one of my favorites, I'm not too worried about it. It'll come out okay or not, but the process is the point, and I've already learned or figured out how to do things I didn't know how to do before...

Now I just need to actually figure out dry-brushing... :/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:29 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

booberthefraggle wrote:

heh heh. Make it all with spit and leaves and watch nature destroy it quickly.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pandacookie wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:

aha,excellent.
i just started using ripped up old prints as paper tabs for getting wet paper out of the bath, and for proofing, everything disappears quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:07 am 
WELFARIST!

booberthefraggle wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
Garrick wrote:

yes! same! I have made a LOT of bad work, like an insane amount. gotta make a lot of bad stuff so you can get to the good stuff! I have learned through experience that being hesitant about work just makes things miserable.

It's so true! I have reams of junked work, false starts, never-finished drafts. Way more of those than anything that ever gets completed. And even from the so-called "bad stuff" that I can't think of what to do with yet, or haven't figured out or maybe will never figure out, there's always some little gem in there, some little thing that made it worthwhile that I can extract or salvage to rework or even just learned from to apply to something else. I think of it all as a process, as well. That takes the pressure off, too. I used to look at a blank page and feel the pressure to create a masterpiece but once I gave myself permission to diarrhea and vomit all over it (figuratively speaking) or just do whatever struck my fancy/came to mind, and allowed myself to be BAD, TERRIBLE, THE WORST and commit that to the page, I started to see good, workable ideas among the badness that I could make something of and then I'd focus on that and then things start to hum and flow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

solipsistnation wrote:
So all of this "stuff you don't like" business sort of ties into the model I just got assembled but haven't painted yet...

Here it is, in its kind of crappy glory:

It's a really cheap Japanese model from the 70's, and you can tell. Pieces didn't fit, pieces broke or got lost, so I'm using it as an opportunity to figure out things like making replacement pieces. The little metal handhold things on the turret there are made from wire because I managed to bust the plastic piece, and really it was easy enough and came out well enough that in the future I may not bother with the plastic bits at all. More difficult to deal with is the general cheesiness of the kit-- the top edge of the turret there doesn't quite fit because pieces were warped. I had to glue and clamp and I'm still not sure it'll be any good... And I had to sand down mold marks and stuff. But since it's a cheap little kit and not one of my favorites, I'm not too worried about it. It'll come out okay or not, but the process is the point, and I've already learned or figured out how to do things I didn't know how to do before...

Now I just need to actually figure out dry-brushing... :/

It's mighty cool that your using models from the 70s--where did you find it? My first job EVAR was at a place called The Hobby Hut (circa 1983/84) and we used to sell models of all types: cars, planes, tanks. Stocked balsa wood so people could build their...planes? Actually, I can't remember what people used to do with balsa wood but it sold. And ship models, too, the ship building looked really complex and I think took a lot of methodical detailing and the ship models even had their own special, separate section from the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:34 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

pandacookie wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:

I guess that's what we'll be doing on our craft night. I'll bring some mud!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

seitanicverses wrote:
It's mighty cool that your using models from the 70s--where did you find it? My first job EVAR was at a place called The Hobby Hut (circa 1983/84) and we used to sell models of all types: cars, planes, tanks. Stocked balsa wood so people could build their...planes? Actually, I can't remember what people used to do with balsa wood but it sold. And ship models, too, the ship building looked really complex and I think took a lot of methodical detailing and the ship models even had their own special, separate section from the rest.

The local hobby shop is selling off somebody's collection on consignment, so they were really cheap. Now I guess I see why... The box art is these awesome paintings, though, and they aren't so expensive that I'll feel bad if they come out kind of iffy, like this one. They're good for working on technique.. If I can make this thing look decent, I should be able to do just fine with a higher-quality model...

Yeah, balsa wood was probably model planes, the super-detailed ones where they fabricate struts and everything. I have a great admiration for people who do that kind of micro-woodworking. I don't really aspire to it (I like my tin cans on tracks too much) but it's a really cool skill.

A friend of my father's does the super-detailed ship models, too. He built a model rowboat sort of skiff thing, with carved oars and nails made from tiny little bits of brass-- it's BEAUTIFUL. And his big ship models, with sails and tiny little working pulleys and capstans and nautical things are fantastic. He's retired and has loads of time and a nice shop...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:43 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Yay! I just spent a long time making a image of my process for another site so I'm glad that other people are curious about work and processes and stuff. Mine is on using three colors to create a digital painting.

I'd love to see more images of your works! Everything shown is so cool. Vegan talent, yo.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

(long post! preemptive sorry!)

Okay so I'm in the process of getting my shiitake together to install for the merit show (scholarship competition at my school) and writing the artist statement is KILLING ME. I am worried I sound like a pretentious twit, but part of the issue is that artist statements have to be like their own little works of art and I can't just be like "yo this is work about stuff, look at it, you'll figure it out."

so here's what i'm hanging (all will be displayed individually on black cord, and hung on nails.)

Old country/Old country:
side 1: Image
side 2: Image

Remnants I-V:
(before they were fired, but they look essentially the same)

okay and here is the artist statement: Please ignore grammatical errors, it is in process. Sigh.

Quote:
In my current work I am focusing on the burden of history and family, and how we as people and myself individually hold, sometimes desperately, to the past.
In Old Country / Old country it is specifically the burden of cultural history. I am trying to make physical the emotional and psychological weight of ancestry. A heavy piece hanging around the solar plexus, the object functions both as a shield and a burden.
In Remnants I-V I have focused specifically on a disappearing matriarchy. Each pendant depicts someone my grandmother has forgotten, and since she is the last living member of that family, they are essentially lost to history. There is no one left who remembers these women, yet they are my family and in their faces I can see my grandmother and my aunt and my mother and my self. Meant to be worn facing out, these function physically as two dimensional lockets, simultaneously obscuring information and enabling the wearer to feel as though they have some hold on an essentially tenuous connection to the past.
These pieces are about an individual’s identity in the context of family, and in a way they are a fruitless attempt to stall the inevitable obscurity of death through imbedding false memory in to precious objects.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:55 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

boober, that artist statement sounds great. I always have a hard time explaining my work, but you did so very eloquently. The pieces look great, too!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:36 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

booberthefraggle wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
Garrick wrote:

I am a total neurotic perfectionist type & it's taken me years to come to terms with that & not feel crippled by it. The closer to finishing something I'd get, the more tense I'd be & the less I'd enjoy it. I agree that not everything you make can be a masterpiece, & it's much more important to actually break through any fears you have & finish something, with the possibility that it may not live up to your expectations, than it is to hold the ideas in your head as precious & never fulfil them. The process of finishing, & the process of making mistakes, is how you learn & grow.

There's a really good little book called Art & Fear that's well worth reading if you have problems with perfectionism. http://www.amazon.com/Art-Fear-Observat ... 0961454733

That comic is great & reminds me of this Daniel Clowes one from Ice Haven - so hilarious. I've felt like this fleetingly every so often. I think most people can relate...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

boober...that little "please don't touch" note you have on your beautiful enamel pieces made me smile. I work from home & the times I've had people come round who instantly zero in on things drying & curing & put their grubby hands all over them! Frustrating!

I don't think your artist statement sounds pretentious at all & it totally makes sense & is cohesive with the work itself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yay! thank you.

ahah yeah I work in a shared (cubicle-style) studio space so I have to leave notes on ANYTHING I don't want messed with

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:50 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Agreed, yeah, that doesn't sound pretentious to me at all. It made the story of the work come to life for me and it added another element of you-ness to what I can see in the pieces. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next