| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earth Balance Tastes Weird Now
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

lavawitch wrote:
sugarcookie wrote:
I've been using Willow Run for almost a year, now. It's cheaper, and it doesn't have palm oil in it.

I wish stores carried that. Before I moved, Willow Run was all I used for baking. It was so cheap at Kroger.

Just a heads up- this is made of trans fats.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:45 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

annak wrote:
I will chime in hoping EB ditches the flax. We're big girls and boys, if we want flax oil we can find that by itself and buy it and even add it to our baked goods. I am so tired of food products trying to be all things to all people. It's like a plague among vegan foods right now that they must also be gluten-free, soy-free, superfood-enhanced, sprouted, fortified, etc. Enough!

QFT. I use flaxseed in breads and muffins, but am not fond of the oil itself.

Glad to find this thread. I searched here several months ago just for just such a discussion, as my husband and I noticed the unpleasant change in flavor. At the time, it seemed like rancid olive oil; it didn't occur to me that they would add an ingredient and fail to make it clear on their website or packaging. I just assumed it wasn't being stored properly.

My husband and I greatly prefer the original EB. Since he's an omni, he's gone back to purchasing butter. :( and I've gone back to Vegenaise for bread, and gravy for spuds. It's not the most satisfactory solution but I cook mostly Asian & Italian these days, so it's kinda moot.

Thanks to Amy and genemachine for writing to them and sharing the responses.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Smart Balance makes a vegan butter/margarine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:12 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have noticed it in both cooking and baking, and in all forms and formats that I have tried:

Tubs. Sticks. Whipped. Soy free. They all have that weird aftertaste now. It doesn't matter when or where I bought them, either: Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Sprouts. I first noticed it in my holiday baking and it's been consistent across the spectrum since.

I liked Earth Balance buttery sticks better than anything else for baking. Now I need to find another brand; does anyone have recommendations?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:15 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I noticed this too in the last tub I bought. To me the smell is more noticeable than the difference in flavor, but it's definitely different to how it was before. Very strange!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:28 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I use EB often, probably a tub every 2 weeks, and I still haven't noticed a strange smell with either the original or soy-free versions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:15 pm 
Tofu Pup

queenofpainting wrote:
I use EB often, probably a tub every 2 weeks, and I still haven't noticed a strange smell with either the original or soy-free versions.

Yeah, me neither. I'm pretty careful as far as keeping it refrigerated goes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:00 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've noticed it too, and have been using it for about 12 years. Suckage.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:25 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I completely forgot about this thread until I used EB for some frosting a few days ago. It's not as pronounced for me in savory things, but I definitely noticed the flavor in the frosting.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:43 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I've noticed a weird, plasticky aftertaste when using the buttery sticks. No one whose eaten the frosting I made have noticed it, but it ruins the flavor for me. I feel like I'm going crazy. :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:00 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

mixmaster_mo wrote:
I completely forgot about this thread until I used EB for some frosting a few days ago. It's not as pronounced for me in savory things, but I definitely noticed the flavor in the frosting.

Yep, it definitely ruins frosting. Total bummer. There are some amazing EB-free frosting recipes in Dreena Burton's new cookbook-can't wait to try 'em!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:01 pm 
Chard Martyr

My solution now is to only use Soy Garden. There's no flax in it. and for some reason it's all they have in my 'hood, so I guess that works out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:26 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

In regards to finding a Vegan Butter Sub. Vegan.com in conjuction with Bryanna Clark Grogan (I think I spelled it right?) have found a way to make it at home and freeze it. There is also an article of the problems that Palm oil harvesting is causing.

Here is the link--

http://vegan.com/blog/2012/03/30/introd ... an-butter/

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:26 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Well, now I know what you all are talking about. Whew - stinks like fish!

The regular tubs seem to be affected for me, but the whipped and sticks don't have that problem.

I wonder why an EB representative hasn't been on these boards yet to address these concerns?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:34 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

thekuriouskittykat wrote:
Where would I find the batch #? I'm an omni who bought some so I could try nutritional yeast "cheez" sauce (I'm curious about vegan cuisine :o). Can't knock something until I try it. I may make the conversion later. I dislike cooking meat anyways.), and I dipped a finger in ( I've Al bought it before and liked it. Was a little less spreadable than Country Crock, but delicious) and was a bit shocked. Also, my apologies for so many edits. Brand new and trying to figure everything out.

Hooray for vegan-friendly omnis! I dunno the cheez recipe you are using, but if its melted Earth Balance its asking for, you could try olive oil instead. I find the olive oil gives my cheez a rich flavor.

My favorite cheezes are from the cookbook "Vegan Vittles" which has a whole chapter of cheez recipes.

Sorry about being off topic, guise.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:59 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

creep wrote:

Yes, and it's nice for spreading on bread, or topping a baked potato. But it's too low fat for sautéing in or baking with, so it can't replace all of of EB's functions. Oh, I do also like to use Smart Balance in equal proportion to EB and Spectrum shortening when I make frosting.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:09 am 
Tofu Pup

Now i am not so jealous that you can't get this product in Australia. Good old Nuttelex has never been fishy. Not that I've notice anyway. Dear god I hope i would have noticed.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:56 am 
Tofu Pup

YES! The regular Earth Balance has a strange seaweed taste to it, but the Whipped Earth Balance is still perfect. Just make sure you get the Whipped variety.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
creep wrote:

Yes, and it's nice for spreading on bread, or topping a baked potato. But it's too low fat for sautéing in or baking with, so it can't replace all of of EB's functions. Oh, I do also like to use Smart Balance in equal proportion to EB and Spectrum shortening when I make frosting.

smart balance's organic whipped is also vegan. (and then just use it by weight instead of volume like you would the EB organic whipped. it's probably the same exact product, just in a different container, actually.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:53 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

supercarrot wrote:
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
creep wrote:

smart balance's organic whipped is also vegan. (and then just use it by weight instead of volume like you would the EB organic whipped. it's probably the same exact product, just in a different container, actually.)

Ah, this is good to know. I thought that only the Smart Balance Light was vegan.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

monkeytoes wrote:
supercarrot wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
Assuming that's the string of letters/numbers after the best-by date, it's L491 09:06

it includes the best by date too. <3

Best by date is Jan 0213.

I'm thinking pb's probably right and the product is leaving EB just fine but the flax is going rancid at some point during transport or storage on the retail end.

Mine is FEB1213 L491 14:18

I used it to make some cupcakes for a work party. No one complained; in fact, they asked me to make them again. But I was really put off by the fishy taste. I can smell it as soon as I open the tub. Smells like rancid flax oil.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:23 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

If its rancid flax oil, thats double-dumb on the company's part... if they are putting flax in for the benefits, but its going rancid, its doing more harm than good. so its ruining the taste/smell of EB AND giving people rancid fats.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just wrote to them and directed them to this thread. My boyfriend doesn't care for the whipped or Soy Garden varieties, soooo basically that leaves us with the option of making our own (we were curious to try this anyway, but I don't like feeling like this is my only option). This sucks!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:11 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

given that EB is yuck now, and the palm oil problem, i dont get why some company hasnt just come out with a coconut based alternative or something, that is flax free and palm free. they could make a small fortune.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:16 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

kaybee wrote:
given that EB is yuck now, and the palm oil problem, i dont get why some company hasnt just come out with a coconut based alternative or something, that is flax free and palm free. they could make a small fortune.

They do make a coconut oil based spread, but unfortunately, it has palm oil. It's such a shame. They stopped responding to my emails, which lessens their image as a good company.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next