| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan + York(shire)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:52 pm 
Tofu Pup

Are there any other vegans who live in York or the greater -shire?!

If so, hello!

Post subject: Re: Vegan + York(shire)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Hi Mimimaoam, Yup I'm in Yorkshire.

I used to live in York about 8 years ago.

Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:30 am 
Tofu Pup

Just wondered what goes down in Yorkshire, vegan style. I moved back to York a couple of years ago and have noticed that although I love living back here (where my heart belongs!), living in London and other bigger cities can at times make vegan life a bit easier, with stuff going on and a wider choice of produce e.t.c... . You see, I've been wondereing. Just how many secret vegans there are living in York, quietly nibbling on their cashews?...

p.s. El Piano for the win

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:52 am 
Chard Martyr

I love El Piano! Is that little vegan shoppe still around in York? I can't remember exactly where it was, except that it was across the street from the model railway store and very close to the Minster. Last time I was there was a few years ago, though.

My parents used to live in York and I absolutely loved it.

eta...I hope Alligator is still open too!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:27 am 
Tofu Pup

El Piano is spanish heaven!!!... they've just gone 100% vegan as they used to offer dairy milk for people if they wanted it in their coffee on the sly, but now it's either soya, rice or coconut milk!

The place you're thinking of near the Minster has closed down :(

...but...

Alligator is still going! I used to work there over the holidays when they got busy. They're still keeping it real (and wholesome)!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:00 pm 
Chard Martyr

That's excellent! Ah, I love York. Would move there in a second.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:38 pm 

Have you tried Gojis on Goodramgate? http://www.gojicafe.co.uk/

I've never had a meal there but I've got take away vegetable quiche, tofu wraps, lentil slice & a sort of chocolate truffle slice. All fabulous.

Just checked my vegan society magazine. There is a York Vegan families group yorkveganfamilies@hotmail.com & the local vegan society contact is Anna. I'll PM you her number if you would like it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Love El Piano and fully enjoyed hotdog and cake from goji! I'm South Yorkshire but like a trip to York so any other tips will be noted.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:44 am 
Tofu Pup

I keep meaning to go back to Goji. I went there not long after they opened (few years ago now) and it wasn't very relaxing and all a bit stressed out. It may have been because it was super busy but I remember the food being good so I'm willing to go back and try it again...

Thanks for the vegan society details. I'm not sure the vegan family thing is for me (just me and my boyfriend at the mo!) but thanks for the heads up though!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:44 pm 

I think the number for Anna is just as the local vegan contact not as the vegan family contact but I'm not sure. I just thought if you want to meet local vegans they will know where.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:43 am 
Tofu Pup

Gotcha. Wrong end of the stick. In that case, that'd be more appreciated :) Thankyou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:29 am 
Tofu Pup

I live in Doncaster, but York is our micro-break destination of choice. I would recommend Goji, which does lovely food (the Portobello mushroom burger is beaut.) There's also a nice Chinese restaurant, which I can't remember the name of, but it looks like a Tudor building from the outside. There's lots of tofu and wheat gluten dishes, (although I found the tofu too soft for my liking), but I was surprised by how much choice there was.

We're going up again in a couple of weeks, so any other recommendations appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:18 pm 
Tofu Pup

I know the chinese you mean now I think... just down the road from Goji... I've never been in there and didn't realise that they did wheat gluten dishes, awesome!

As for recommendations, all the places I can think of are listed above.

Enjoy your trip :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:23 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Do check out Dandelion and Burdock if you get a chance, it's one of the best restaurants I've tried in the country:

http://lustrousmusings.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... ridge.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

D&B is very very good, yes. but it's a fair way away from york though. it's nearer to manchester and leeds.
it is worth trekking across the county for though, in my opinion!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:33 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Yea, I was refering to the (shire) part of the title :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:09 pm 
Tofu Pup

Visited the Milkshack in York today, very disappointed. There's a menu outside that highlights vegan milkshakes, so I was looking forward to trying one. (Haven't had a bought milkshake in years.)

The lad behind the counter asked if I wanted soya ice cream (for an extra 60p) as I'd asked for my shake to be made with soya milk. I said no, as I'm not that bothered about ice cream anyway, but he put dairy ice cream in anyway! When i questioned this he said he'd asked if I wanted the soya stuff. I explained the milkshake was labelled vegan and he seemed to get very confused and fetched the manager. He was no better, when I explained the situation he said "So vegans can't have any dairy, then?" Then he offered me a smoothie instead, but I declined and had to ask for my money back, as an offer wasn't forthcoming.

It really annoyed me that the menu stipulates some shakes are vegan, when they're clearly not. If it states vegan, you shouldn't have to assume it is not. You shouldn't have to ask for something labelled vegan to actually be vegan.

So if you want to go there, make sure you point out you want no dairy, because otherwise they won't have a clue.

Also, the Chinese is called Happy Valley and it's on Goodramgate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

The Dandelion and Burdock is fantastic, my partner and I went there earlier this evening and were very impressed, I would highly recommend :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm reviving this thread because Mike and I are going to Yorkshire the first week of July for our anniversary holiday. We'll be in York for about 2 days (arriving the Monday afternoon, leaving for Scarborough the Wednesday afternoon) and Scarborough for another 2ish days (leaving Friday afternoon). We're taking a day trip to Whitby on the Thursday.

Does anyone have any recommendation for breakfast in York or Scarborough? Does anyone know of a good place to eat in Whitby, or should we just get food to take with us? Apart from El Piano, is there anywhere in York that we absolutely can't miss?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions of things to do that we can't miss (York, Scarborough or Whitby)? Has anyone ever taken the North Yorkshire Moors steam train, and is it worth the £24 per person (plus the cost of getting to Pickering)? Most of the point of Whitby is to do Dracula-related stuff, but we'll have the best part of a day there, so I'm open to other suggestions.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:20 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

One of my besties lives in Filey so I'll ask her about the stuff to do part. I was just up visiting her a few weeks ago. We went to Goji in York for dinner. It was just OK. I think I'd have preferred it for lunch. Nothing was bad but nothing was amazing. I've only been to the Malaga branch of El Piano and loved it but can't speak for the York one. My husband went and liked it but said the portions were very small for the price.

In Scarborough you MUST got to CALF. My friend are both omni and they loved it and have been back since. It is all vegan, has a coal fire, home made cakes and lots of good food. When I went they were having a big fundraiser so they only had a limited menu but it was still excellent. My omni friend said the milkshake was amazing. As well as the eat in food they sell stuff like falafel boxes, baguettes and flapjacks to take away to the beach. I got a baguette and cake for my train home and they were really good.

Just down the road from it as we walked past we noticed another cafe which isn't vegan but had a sign outside saying vegan cheese available and a small vegan menu. Then on the drive back to their house we passed another veggie and vegan cafe. I was joking about Scarborough being the new Portland.

I did have a day in Whitby with them once years ago and unplanned we popped into a cafe which had a lovely feel to it and they managed to do me something. I'll ask them if they remember the name.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:46 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The York Castle Museum is fab and well worth a visit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:57 am 

Are you driving? If you are you can go to Scarborough via Pickering OR stop at Goathland on the way to Whitby to catch the NYM railway. I have taken my nephews on the Santa special at Xmas. It was snowy & very picturesque. If you like steam trains & beautiful scenery then it is great otherwise if you are driving from Scarborough to Whitby the scenery is pretty spectacular anyway.

There is a Fish & Chip shop in Whiby that fries in vegetable oil. They also do veggie sausage etc but I'm not sure if that is vegan. I think it is called Robertsons (They have a take away & restaurant) If you go over the swing bride in the centre of Whitby, as if you are walking towards the Abbey you will see Holland & Barrett on your left. Then there is a little street & then a few more shops & the chippy. It advertises outside that it fries in veggie oil. I think this is the place.

http://www.robertsons-of-whitby.co.uk/l ... d.php?id=0

Robin Hoods Bay is a lovely place to go to on the way to Whitby. It used to have a veggie vegan cafe but it has closed down. However some of the pubs do have vegan options or are happy to adapt. They seem quite vegan friend there on the whole which is quite unusual for North Yorkshire. (Lots of places still have fish listed at Vegetarian!)

I've never been to CALF in Scarborough but the reviews look great so I'm definitely gonna get myself over there soon.
Unfortunately the Nutmeg cafe got taken over & then started serving meat & shut down. However there is another cafe called Cafe Venus on Ramshill Road which is veggie vegan. Again I've not been there but it looks good.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... gland.html

I like Gojis in York for a take out brunch/lunch. El piano does a cheap food menu on certain things until 7pm. Portions aren't massive but it is tasty & a lovely atmosphere.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:32 am 

I went to CALF yesterday. What a great place! I had marinated tofu & spinach bagel which was served with a lovely salad. My friend has a sausage & bean casserole with mustard mash. Then I had waffle with maple walnut ice cream & he had chocolate cherry cake. Everything was scrummy! Don't think the opening hours are very long though & they may change from week to week as they had a sign outside saying this week's opening hours. Most days it seemed to be open from 12 to 4.

There is also a cafe slightly further up, on the same side of the road but closer to the town called Nomad Cafe. I've never been there, and they sell meat but they had chalk boards outside which showed vegan & veggie main meal options. They also advertise vegan cheese & soya milk on the outside board. So that is probably worth a look.

Depending on when you visit there may be something good on a Stephen Joseph Theatre. If it is an SJT production you can get standby tickets on the day for £10 (if there are any left!)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks for reporting back on CALF! Good to know about the hours. Hopefully they'll be more stable by July.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

In case anyone is interested...

York - We had Goji for lunch the first day. It was hit and miss - the hummus was OK, and my mushroom burger was great, but Mike didn't care for his wrap and the "sweet potato wedges" that came with my burger were basically just a quartered sweet potato that had been baked. They had loads of vegan dessert options - we had the mocha cake, which was a bit dry (this was near the end of the day), but on Wednesday we went back and had the chocolate cake, which was much nicer. El Piano was really good, and I wish we could've gone more than once so I could've tried more things. The albondigas were super meaty and really tasty. The only complaint I have about them is that they didn't have any desserts I actually wanted.

Sylvern House (in Scarborough) was nice - they were able to provide us with an adequate breakfast, and the room was small but served its purpose. CALF was great - we actually didn't go to any of the other veg-friendly places on Happy Cow. We passed Nomad Cafe a couple of times, and they definitely had vegan-friendly stuff, but we loved CALF so much (and wanted to support an all-vegan business) that we just didn't bother with them (or Cafe Venus, which we didn't even see). However, since CALF closes at 4.30pm (the latest of the 3 on Happy Cow), we had dinner at a place called Curry Leaf (which is almost right across from the station) that had several vegan options and was really cheap and delicious.

Whitby - Humble Pie and Mash (listed in Happy Cow) didn't have anything suitable. There's a place called Hippy Hippy Shake that does vegan milkshakes and smoothies (if they have Swedish Glace on hand - they didn't when we were there, but he went to Holland and Barrett on the other side of the road to hook us up, and of course they were out of SG). There are loads of sweet shops, so we got quite a lot of junk food (one place had some really delicious cinder toffee, and I found vegan brandy snaps at a little crappy indoor market). Other than that, we didn't really find much. But if you ever find yourself in Whitby with nothing to eat, there's a huge Co-op right behind the bus station.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next