| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lexington / Piedmont Triad NC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:47 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Where in the Triad area (preferably Lexington) can I buy products like Veganaisse and the various cheese substitutes? WalMart ain't cutting it. Failing that, what are some recommended online sources?

I became a vegan for selfish reasons: I want to save MY planet, improve MY health and live by MY ethics.

Post subject: Re: Lexington / Piedmont Triad NC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Is there an Ingles there. My Ingles started carring veganaise

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:56 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

There's a whole foods in Winston-Salem. Not too far from there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Peachy wrote:
There's a whole foods in Winston-Salem. Not too far from there.

As of this summer, there will also be a Trader Joe's in W-S!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:29 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

tank wrote:
Is there an Ingles there. My Ingles started carring veganaise

No, no Ingles.

In fact, we just came back from a disappointing search of Food Lion, Walmart and Compare foods in search of the elusive basil and hazelnut. Walmart would sell me basil plants ... but I don't want to pay $8.00 for enough basil (the plants were smallish) to make a single batch of pesto. I'm cheap like that.

Where my Dad used to live in GA there was an Ingles and yes, they had stuff! It is still the only grocery store I have seen with Quaker Oats (?) hemp cereal on the shelves. I tried it, liked it, could never find another box to buy.

I'm kinda trying to avoid hopping into the car for a trip to WS to pick up odds-n-ends. As soon as I get my house in order (literally ... getting quotes on AC the past couple weeks and I am expanding my crawl space to permit use as a root cellar), I'm seriously going to look into opening a vegan grocery here ... I've already found a church for sale with a large parking lot and room for a truck dock. This town easily supports multiple Mexican and Cambodian groceries ... why not one vegan?

Is there a "Vegan Pride" t-shirt? ;-)

I became a vegan for selfish reasons: I want to save MY planet, improve MY health and live by MY ethics.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Get a basil plant! They grow so well here that I could make fresh pesto every couple of weeks last summer with only one plant. I'm going to get at least three basil plants this summer.

If you do get to someplace with a Harris Teeter (I know there are some in Winston), they have recently started carrying Veganaise and FYH cream cheese & sour cream.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:29 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Got a couple sweet basil plants (and planted a couple kinds, too) ... and rosemary and sage and lavender and Mexican tarragon and thyme and ... well, the list goes on. I'm still looking for some Thai basil seed ... basil comes in a BUNCH of different flavors (and so does mint ... check out orange mint and chocolate mint!).

Gardening was always in the picture ... but I was just hoping to short-cut the process by a few weeks. For each herb plant I put in the garden, there were seeds, as well ... and even for some herbs I couldn't find as plants. I'll plant blueberry bushes tomorrow p.m. (NC soil is inherently acidic) and start hay-bale planting the tomatoes. (No better alternative at the moment ... too much on my plate, so to speak ... so hay-bales it is.)

Molly ... it looks like you found our cat! We think that the city trapped him so we aren't especially hopeful of ever seeing him again. Take care of your precious friend!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:43 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

We've been making a broccoli pesto (from an online recipe) that we like. Another problem we've been having is finding hazelnuts. I KNOW Walmart has got to have some somewhere ... but they are pretty well hidden.

From our brief experience, the hardest part about going vegan is finding the ingredients. We got a couple of good recipe books plus a TON of recipes I have been collecting the past few years while we 'toyed' with the vegan diet. I bought an immersion blender and a good scale and even a taco press. We already had a blender, juicer, food processor and so on.

It's easy enough to buy dried herbs and the main things (winter squash, for example), but tough to find fresh herbs here. This is probably the thing I miss most about moving away from a big city.

By the time the farm market opens downtown, I'll have my own herbs. To sell.

We DID find a source for locally grown shiitake mushrooms ... Sandy Creek Farms in Tyro. The owners are definitely nice people to deal with. At the moment, I don't think that they have any fresh 'shrooms, but they do have them dried. They also produce muscadine grapes, honey, various pepper jams and blackberries for sale. Okay ... I know that the honey is a no-no ... so walk past it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:14 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I found Thai basil! I found Thai basil! Walmart had it (as plants, not seeds).

Still haven't tracked down those hazelnuts and now I have two new mysteries ... where to locate borage and bee balm. Four stops so far and no joy.