| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non-Food Must Do's?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:41 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Hey, so my (awesome) bf stalked the ppk for figuring out food options for out upcoming trip over the next few days. Any recommendations for neighborhoods or parks or whatnot that we should check out? I don't mind wandering around but have no idea of places to start. Someone at my work suggested Union something-or-other, but I've had no other leads. Cool shops, anything vintage-y? Even if it is overpriced, I enjoy looking. Or a really crazy toy store in case I'd like to pick up something for my boss's amazingly adorable children? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Non-Food Must Do's?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:52 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

what part of town are you going to be staying in?

i always hit the army-navy down on Christopher street, where there are some shops with vintage and funky stuff and you can sort of wander from store to store exploring and watching people.
And last time i was there i went to Brooklyn Housing works, which was not horribly far from Christopher, and got some amazing deals on clothes (15 pairs of jeans for $1 each, seriously. the clerk couldn't believe it), and noticed they had some really cool clothes there, not just cheapies.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:54 pm 

Nice! We are staying at the Pod hotel, which is Midtown I think? The boy has been several times before, so he knows is way around sort of. This is my first time, so I think he wants to jam as much stuff in the agenda as possible!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

there's FAO Schwarz on 58th st & 5th Ave if you're interested in toys, as well as an American Girl Doll shop on 49th and 5th.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

oh man there is an insane amount of stuff to do in NYC? Have you been here before? What you've already done/seen makes a huge difference. Central park, a million museums (lots of them free), a ton of other parks, tons of famous stuff like ellis island, statue of liberty, times square, shows, the boroughs (which are huge). Give us some idea of what you want to do. I think your coworker was talking about Union Square, probably.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:33 pm 

Museums and cultural stuff are great. I don't mind being touristy but also like to soak up the atmosphere by checking out neighborhoods with fun shops or cafes. Did union square, little Italy and ground zero today. Was a bit overwhelmed at moo shoes. May try to make it back again this visit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:25 am 
Seagull of the PPK

if you end up back at mooshoes (there is an awful lot begging to be bought there) walking around chinatown is nice, there is a good place with lots of vegan/veggie snackeroos to buy and bring home.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/may-wah-vegetar ... new-york-2 (i got dried 5-spice bbq ribs and natto oatmeal, omfg)
and find some veggie bahn mi.... mmmmm.....