| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toronto
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:38 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

paprikapapaya wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
Hi there Torontonians!

I'm a Canadian living in the US right now, applying on jobs looking to move back to Canada. There's a position I'm really interested in that's located in Newmarket. I know nothing of Toronto or the GTA (other than being in Pearson airport a gajillion times, I've never been to the city). I've done a bit of Googling, but is Newmarket a boring suburb? It sounds like living in TO and commuting to Newmarket would be a bit long. I'm a bit worried that Newmarket is a tiny sleepy suburb and I won't be happy there and I should be closer to the city.

Any opinions on Newmarket at all?

Newmarket definitely ain't close to anything I'd call Toronto proper. It's a suburb; a distant one from what I understand. To tell you the truth, I lived in Toronto for a few years but never knew anyone from Newmarket and have never been there. But I get the idea that it's pretty boring. Sorry, probably not the answer you wanted!

But it's honest! Thanks for the info, it's really helpful. It's so hard to judge these things from Google alone.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:41 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

annamal wrote:

Urban Herbivore at the Eaton Centre is amazing and wonderful and delicious (and busy!) Hot Beans doesn't deliver as far as I know. Magic Oven delivers pizza, and they serve daiya (they also have toppings like edamame and green tea tofu) - it's super yummy. They also have a BBQ tofu sandwich that rules.

The rest of the food court at Eaton Centre is good too, if you even want to pry yourself away from Urban Herbivore. You can get veggie burgers, stir-fries, tofu curries, etc.

And Le Commensal is pretty close to Yonge and Dundas as well.

Oh, and Chipotle is right at Yonge and Dundas and I often get their vegetarian burrito minus dairy, which is awesome.

This is all so awesome, thank you so much! I seriously just copy/pasted this directly into my phone for the trip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:14 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

lobsteriffic wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
Hi there Torontonians!

I'm a Canadian living in the US right now, applying on jobs looking to move back to Canada. There's a position I'm really interested in that's located in Newmarket. I know nothing of Toronto or the GTA (other than being in Pearson airport a gajillion times, I've never been to the city). I've done a bit of Googling, but is Newmarket a boring suburb? It sounds like living in TO and commuting to Newmarket would be a bit long. I'm a bit worried that Newmarket is a tiny sleepy suburb and I won't be happy there and I should be closer to the city.

Any opinions on Newmarket at all?

Newmarket definitely ain't close to anything I'd call Toronto proper. It's a suburb; a distant one from what I understand. To tell you the truth, I lived in Toronto for a few years but never knew anyone from Newmarket and have never been there. But I get the idea that it's pretty boring. Sorry, probably not the answer you wanted!

But it's honest! Thanks for the info, it's really helpful. It's so hard to judge these things from Google alone.

It's been a few years since I've been there and yeah, it's basically a new suburb built up around what was a quaint little town with lots of box malls. There is still an old main st with small stores. I suspect like most places outside of Toronto, it shuts down at 6pm unless it is a mall. You will definitely want a car if you're going to live there. As far as commuting, you could live in Toronto and take the train there. It's probably 40 min to 1 hour commute (you can look here for schedules http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/default.aspx). You could drive, but driving in Toronto can be a nightmare at times.
I guess it all depends on what you like and how important this job would be for you. If you end up there, I'm sure there are things to do. You are both near the countryside, and close to the big city! Good luck with the job hunting!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:28 pm 

von m wrote:
It's been a few years since I've been there and yeah, it's basically a new suburb built up around what was a quaint little town with lots of box malls. There is still an old main st with small stores. I suspect like most places outside of Toronto, it shuts down at 6pm unless it is a mall. You will definitely want a car if you're going to live there. As far as commuting, you could live in Toronto and take the train there. It's probably 40 min to 1 hour commute (you can look here for schedules http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/default.aspx). You could drive, but driving in Toronto can be a nightmare at times.
I guess it all depends on what you like and how important this job would be for you. If you end up there, I'm sure there are things to do. You are both near the countryside, and close to the big city! Good luck with the job hunting!

This is also helpful - thanks!

No matter what job I take it's (probably) going to involve a pretty big relocation, and there's just so many factors that go into that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:06 pm 
Huffs Nooch

theque wrote:
Here's a question for you Torontonians. I'll be flying into Toronto on a Sunday night to catch a flight in the morning. I'm going to do my best to make it to Hogtown before it closes at 10PM but if my flight is late and I can't make it does anyone know of anywhere that is open until 11PM or midnight? I scanned happycow and didn't see anything.

Thanks.

Disgraceland is open until 2AM and is fairly close to Hogtown Vegan. So it could be a good plan B. They are are not a vegetarian or vegan establishment, but they have a very decent, consciously designed, vegan selection.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:12 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Perfect, thanks broseph!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:41 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

lobsteriffic wrote:
No matter what job I take it's (probably) going to involve a pretty big relocation, and there's just so many factors that go into that.

Oh wow, yeah, from CA to Newmarket would be a big change!
My friend texted me who lived there about 15 years ago. She said it has a lot more character than the big suburbs surrounding Toronto. She lived in the centre and said there were lots of old houses, nice gardens and friendly people. She said she misses it and she lives in one the nasty Suburbs of TO. Hopefully you get a chance to check out the place before committing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:02 pm 

von m wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Oh wow, yeah, from CA to Newmarket would be a big change!
My friend texted me who lived there about 15 years ago. She said it has a lot more character than the big suburbs surrounding Toronto. She lived in the centre and said there were lots of old houses, nice gardens and friendly people. She said she misses it and she lives in one the nasty Suburbs of TO. Hopefully you get a chance to check out the place before committing.

Well that sounds promising!

I actually moved to CA from Saskatoon, so I'm used to living in the middle of nowhere. :)

Thanks for the helpful info everyone! I have a few different places I'm looking at across Canada, trying to get a feel for where I want to settle and call 'home' for a few years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:35 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

theque, check out Disgraceland. It's near Hogtown if you want to try to make it there first, and it's open until 2 am.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:19 am 
Tofu Pup

I am also in Toronto. I also always looks for some vegan, Because i really love it & i also know where you can find it. I didn't know the name of this shop. But i was hardly find it. Its near about the railway station.

spain villas | villas lloret

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:07 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just read that Panacea was closing (or may be closed by now!) I am soooo sad...I loved that store! Now, where can I get those Go Max Go bars, or vegan marshmallows? :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:37 am 
WELFARIST!

loolie wrote:
I just read that Panacea was closing (or may be closed by now!) I am soooo sad...I loved that store! Now, where can I get those Go Max Go bars, or vegan marshmallows? :(

Oh, no!!!!! I'm really sad, if it's true. I'm going to their website right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:39 am 
WELFARIST!

panacea's website wrote:
CLOSED
Despite our best efforts and attempts to restructure and even share our space with other veg businesses, Panacea has closed. Sales have been very poor over the past year and there was no sustainable way to continue. We are very proud of what we accomplished in promoting the vegan lifestyle and for the relationships established with so many awesome customers, organizations and companies that produce vegan environmental products.

A big thank you to everyone to has been part of this great venture.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:41 am 
WELFARIST!

loolie wrote:
Now, where can I get those Go Max Go bars, or vegan marshmallows? :(

Essence of Life in Kensington Market. You can also check Tutti Frutti which are like four storefronts away from each other anyhoo so if you can't get what you need in one, you can check the other.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:26 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I get Go Max Go bars from Lennie's in Cabbagetown.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:47 pm 
Dildo Queen

sad panacea closed, they should/should've opened in kensington or something, where more vegan ppls is at

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:00 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

oh no Panacea :( I bought too much there one time, haha

there is an installation I want to see, and I want to have poutine. one day, Toronto. it will happen. I promise.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:44 pm 
Dildo Queen

has anyone tried sadie's juice bar and ice cream shop in kensington market? the ice cream cones are cool. where the fork else can you get a vegan ice cream cone? i got a bagel cheese melt which was lame because it was literally a toasted bagel with nothing but daiya on it (and not even that much daiya) but still...the fact that it's an ice cream shop is cool
:>
haven't had any of the their smoothies or juices though.

urban herbivore needs to stock like 5x the amount of sweet potato muffins they usually do. those things sell so fast! i went there on saturday hoping to get like 6 and they were all out :( :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:47 pm 
Dildo Queen

my boyfriend and i vowed to never bring a non-vegan to kensington again, though
they wanted tacos or burritos so we said hey there's hot beans.
they came back within 5 minutes with no food because...they wanted something meaty

i don't know. the market is so exciting for vegans because there are so many meal and dessert and snack etc options, but for omnis they just don't care as much.haha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:16 pm 
Tofu Pup

Love Sadie's! Both the Juice Bar in Kensington and the full diner are awesome.

I've had the tuna melt at the Juice Bar twice, plus their shakes and they are all delicious. In addition to straight up ice cream cones you can get shakes and floats too.

But here's the kicker: now every Thursday they are getting a huge order of vegan DONUTS AND CINNAMON BUNS in which are AMAZING.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:04 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

you can also get amazing vegan ice cream cones at hibiscus in kensington! yum!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:26 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

broseph and annamal, thanks for the recommendation. Fortunately I made it to Hogtown before it closed, delicious!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:35 pm 
Huffs Nooch

theque wrote:
broseph and annamal, thanks for the recommendation. Fortunately I made it to Hogtown before it closed, delicious!

Awesome! What did you order?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:32 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Chicken fried steak with mac and cheese and greens. That chicken was breaded perfectly and came with that yummy bbq sauce.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

theque wrote:
Chicken fried steak with mac and cheese and greens. That chicken was breaded perfectly and came with that yummy bbq sauce.

So good!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 28  Next