| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194 ... 300  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:03 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I didn't go far back in the thread, so OOPS if this has already been posted, but has anyone seen the Hunger Games line of nail polish? I kind of want them all, but I ordered the Foie Gras (gross name, but whatever) from ebay. They seem to be a little cheaper there than other websites... I guess people buy them in bulk and sell them?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:09 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I tried on electrify and it was quite nice, the luxe and lush looks amazing! Do any of you guys use nail dryers? Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:50 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

I want them all, too. Except for hook and line and mahogany magic (it looks kinda weird and poopy).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:55 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

fupapack wrote:
I tried on electrify and it was quite nice, the luxe and lush looks amazing! Do any of you guys use nail dryers? Any thoughts?

I never have the patience for the nail dryers even on the rare occasions I get my nails done. Get a quick dry top coat and be done with it.

In theory, the dryers help seal your color and help your mani last longer, but I think the limiting factor is probably skill and patience. I you clean your nails with vinegar to before base coat and if you wrap your tips and use thin, even coats, it will last longer.

Also, the Uv dryers are probably really bad for your hands/skin.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

creep wrote:
I didn't go far back in the thread, so OOPS if this has already been posted, but has anyone seen the Hunger Games line of nail polish? I kind of want them all, but I ordered the Foie Gras (gross name, but whatever) from ebay. They seem to be a little cheaper there than other websites... I guess people buy them in bulk and sell them?

I went to Sally's to look at these and they had I think 3 colors left and maybe a grand total of 5 polishes...of course the ones I was least interested in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:04 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Nail dryers remind me: What's up with the shellac manicures? Do they have shellac in them or is it just a name? My sister-in-law wanted me to buy the UV light thing so we can do our nails together.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:05 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

bekki wrote:
creep wrote:

I went to Sally's to look at these and they had I think 3 colors left and maybe a grand total of 5 polishes...of course the ones I was least interested in.

That was the situation when I went to Ulta to browse/dig through clearance bins. Something tells me Hunger Games won't make it to a big sale.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:26 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Nail dryers remind me: What's up with the shellac manicures? Do they have shellac in them or is it just a name? My sister-in-law wanted me to buy the UV light thing so we can do our nails together.

CND's ingredient list:
http://www.salongeek.com/attachments/na ... 088069.jpg
i couldn't insert the image because it is so big. Not sure if they test...
There's another company out there that has a gel/shellac manicure but I can't think of the name.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mrsbadmouth wrote:

That was the situation when I went to Ulta to browse/dig through clearance bins. Something tells me Hunger Games won't make it to a big sale.

No Ulta for me! I didn't even know what they were until the past few months (when my polish habit got ramped up) and have never been. Our Sephora has been here less than a year...and by Sephora, I mean JCPenney kiosk Sephora, not the real deal.

I would love a place with higher end* polish on clearance.

*the vast majority of my polish is Sinful Colors and Wet'n'Wild (bought on sale!) so to me "higher end" = more than five bucks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

There are new Zoya swatches up!

Beach collection (I like Wednesday, but I wonder if it's like Orly Gumball and similar polishes. I also like Reagan, Lara, and Shelby--I'll have to see more pics to see if they're that unique)
http://www.temptalia.com/zoya-beach-collection-preview-photos-swatches

Surf collection (I looooooove Zuza and also like Kimber and Rory):
http://www.temptalia.com/zoya-surf-collection-preview-photos-swatches

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:36 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

bastah wrote:
There are new Zoya swatches up!

Beach collection (I like Wednesday, but I wonder if it's like Orly Gumball and similar polishes. I also like Reagan, Lara, and Shelby--I'll have to see more pics to see if they're that unique)
http://www.temptalia.com/zoya-beach-collection-preview-photos-swatches

Surf collection (I looooooove Zuza and also like Kimber and Rory):
http://www.temptalia.com/zoya-surf-collection-preview-photos-swatches

I think I have the hots for Rory.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

zuzu!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

andi_vert wrote:
I want them all, too. Except for hook and line and mahogany magic (it looks kinda weird and poopy).

I actually really like the mahogany. I saw someone wearing it on a blog though, and it looks a little different than the color swatch. I prefer more natural matte colors though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:52 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I am obsessed with the HG but wish the polishes reflected the characters and not the districts. I saw the colors at Ulta last week and did not buy any but I might go back and see what I can get. I really just want Luxe and Lush, the other colors are not my thing or I have colors way to similar.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:07 am 
Ninja Master

fupapack wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

CND's ingredient list:
http://www.salongeek.com/attachments/na ... 088069.jpg
i couldn't insert the image because it is so big. Not sure if they test...
There's another company out there that has a gel/shellac manicure but I can't think of the name.

CND don’t test.

Shellac is just a name they gave it (because of the high shine finish), it has no bugs in it! But I have struggled to find out if it’s vegan (the internet connection here sucks and I can't open the pic you linked to). Because I have a pro account with CND if I email them they just direct me to the MSDS which don’t actually list ingredients.

But anyway, it’s a power polish, not a gel polish like some others, which means that (if you have healthy nails) it can last up to 2/3 weeks without chipping. Also because it’s not a gel, it can be soaked off and there’s no buffing of the natural nail. If your nails are peely and dry like mine it is likely to not last as long though.

Hybrid gel polishes such as Nubar’s Gelicure, Gelish, Gellux, OPI Gelcolour.. are part varnish part gel and usually have to be lightly buffed to break the seal before you can soak them off.

(I’ve researched the hell out of this because I’m planning to train in both Gelicure and Shellac over the next few months! :-)

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:36 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My aunt got me a little battery operated nail dryer for Christmas. It's cute; I don't know if it helps anything though. It does get me to wait between coats because I like using it for novelty factor. Plus I thought it was super thoughtful of her to get it! I don't know that I'd buy one for myself though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

2 coats of Butter London Henley Regatta with Orly Liquid Vinyl on the tips

2 coats of Zoya Rea with Wet N Wild It's All in the Cut dabbed onto the front half of each nail. Rea has grown on me and I like it more now than I did 2 years ago.

Fupa - I totally understand what you were saying about buying lots of polish and feeling the need to buy more, more, more.

bastah wrote:

I want all of the Beach collection but only Zuza from the Surf collection

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:34 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I was kind of excited about the Hunger Games polishes, but when I saw them in person I was completely underwhelmed. But I guess it's just as well - a few more dollars not spent on polish! :)

I REALLY like Carly and Rory from Zoya's Surf collection!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:29 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Love the 2 coats of Butter London Henley Regatta with Orly Liquid Vinyl on the tips!

I bought the Luxe & Lush tonight!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

missmuffcake wrote:
Love the 2 coats of Butter London Henley Regatta with Orly Liquid Vinyl on the tips!

This!

I'm also lusting after the CG Hunger games collection.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I kept looking at Effie's nails during The Hunger Games and expecting her to be wearing some of the colours in the range, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't, they were all much brighter like purpley-fuschia and blue with beads and diamontes stuck on

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kitteh wrote:
I kept looking at Effie's nails during The Hunger Games and expecting her to be wearing some of the colours in the range, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't, they were all much brighter like purpley-fuschia and blue with beads and diamontes stuck on

That's weird, you would think the colors would match up. In a moment of very poor judgment I wandered over to a different Sally's while waiting on a prescription to be refilled. I got a beigey one with glitter which is really pretty but sheer and Smoke and Ashes, which is beautiful in the bottle but totally underwhelming on the nail...I think I'm taking it back tomorrow and I never return nail polish. I may trade it for the super coppery color.

On a different note, Sally's around here seem to be gravitating near wherever there is a WalMart...literally. Is that a trend?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:04 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

i just want to say that i bought my very first butter london polish today, the shade "no more waity, katie," which i've been wanting ever since i first saw it because a) it's gorgeous and b) i loooove the royals, esp. wills & kate. my sister and i drove an hour to our closest ULTA and had quite the swatch-fest. as an aside, i am totally wanting UD's lipstick in "naked."

yay for fancypants vegan nail polish! my sister bought a zoya polish in "america" for only $3.50.

...is "no more waity, katie" opaque or should i layer it over another color? i was planning on doing a couple coats.

EDITED to say that butter london has a spring promo on their website-- 3 polishes for $30 with code SPRING. don't know when it expires. butterlondon.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I used to live by Ulta, but there were no testers! That's awesome that they have them now. I wish they would bring Ulta to where I live now

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:38 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Kitteh, I love non-traditional "French" manicures and teal and black are my favourite colours for anything, so I love that! My nails are never really long enough to do that. Maybe in summer when my nails tend to be stronger (my hands really hate the cold). I've been in love with the matte black nails + shiny black tips combo ever since I first saw it and really want to try it out. On a side note I really dislike how makeup (and other things such as shoes) tend to cost about twice as much here as they do in America. I can get Zoya nail polish here now (mail order) but it costs ~$23. Ridiculous. I think Chanel retails for something like $30 here.

Reply to topic  [ 7481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194 ... 300  Next