| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SLUDGE;DOOM;DRONE;DEATH;BLACK;METAL related conversation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:26 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I love ALL of these types of metal, but lately I've been really getting back into black metal of all subtypes- from Bathory, Sargeist, Burzum, Gorgoroth, etc.
Xasthur too!

I'm kind of really in love with Dunkelheit by Burzum.

OH and GALLHAMMER and Leviathan too!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

New Pallbearer, anyone? It's purty.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:57 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

creep wrote:
New Pallbearer, anyone? It's purty.

Funny, am listening to this as I read your post. Yes, it is good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:49 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Discovering a deep love for Ahab.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:23 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Ive been rocking Bongzilla (terrible name) for the past few days

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:04 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

It's good to see this thread here. I'm a lifelong metalhead and don't really know many vegans who listen to metal. (I also love punk rock, which has always seemed a more veg-friendly genre.) I'm sort of old, though, and don't like all that many new bands.

Some of my metal favorites:
Witchfinder General
Mercyful Fate
Slough Feg
Slayer (as long as it's nothing after "Seasons in the Abyss")
Mayhem (but not after De Mysteriis -told you I was old)
Celtic Frost
Autopsy
Darkthrone
Nifelheim
Bathory

...you probably get the idea.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:53 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I am currently spinning the new Goatwhore album nonstop. Love it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Adam Crisis wrote:
Ive been rocking Bongzilla (terrible name) for the past few days

Best name ever, you mean.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Going to see Deafheaven and Alcest tonight. I'm usually too lazy to leave my house, so this is kind of a big deal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:33 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

creep wrote:
Going to see Deafheaven and Alcest tonight. I'm usually too lazy to leave my house, so this is kind of a big deal.

How were Alcest? (I'm so lazy I just ask people about shows rather than going myself.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

tgw777 wrote:
creep wrote:

How were Alcest? (I'm so lazy I just ask people about shows rather than going myself.)

Good, but not mind-blowing. I'm rarely impressed by anything anymore though. haha, woe is me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:03 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

creep wrote:
tgw777 wrote:
creep wrote:

Good, but not mind-blowing. I'm rarely impressed by anything anymore though. haha, woe is me.

HA! Me neither. (Hence the not leaving the house.)

Alcest is one of the few new(ish) things I like, but in no way do I consider them a metal band. In pedigree, yes then I suppose they are, but if music still counts for anything (and my jaded old self wonders if it does all the time) in my view they are not.

The things that make me love them (it's my yoga music) are things that I'm thinking may not translate well to a late nite club atmosphere. (Especially when your age is calculated via carbon dating, as mine is, and when being up past 11 PM requires a recovery plan being mapped out in advance.) Basically, nothing against them, but I think I'd fall asleep and end up covered in obscene sharpie messages if I went to see them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think people are sort of lumping them into that "shoegazey hipster black metal" category, whatever that is.

Deafheaven was good too, but the vocalist was getting super sexy with his microphone stand, while being all scary and metal. Pretty awkward. I couldn't tell if he wanted to kiss me or vomit blood on me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:41 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

tgw777 wrote:
It's good to see this thread here. I'm a lifelong metalhead and don't really know many vegans who listen to metal. (I also love punk rock, which has always seemed a more veg-friendly genre.) I'm sort of old, though, and don't like all that many new bands.

Some of my metal favorites:
Witchfinder General
Mercyful Fate
Slough Feg
Slayer (as long as it's nothing after "Seasons in the Abyss")
Mayhem (but not after De Mysteriis -told you I was old)
Celtic Frost
Autopsy
Darkthrone
Nifelheim
Bathory

...you probably get the idea.

You have good "catalog" man! I`m not really old yet but I have been really liking bands like Witchfinder General, Autopsy, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, Bathory and OLD Mayhem since I was 12 years old. Then my best school mates didn`t understand why I didn`t listened Spice Girls and BSB.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:40 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

[quote="Vuohi"

You have good "catalog" man! I`m not really old yet but I have been really liking bands like Witchfinder General, Autopsy, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, Bathory and OLD Mayhem since I was 12 years old. Then my best school mates didn`t understand why I didn`t listened Spice Girls and BSB.[/quote]

Hi and thanks. I started listening to metal very young, also. I vividly remember going to a record store, finding the long haired dude employee, and demanding he tell me what HE liked (after I asked him where the Judas Priest records were). He was dumbfounded. I was about 8 at the time.

But enough about me, back to the metal. Just got the new High on Fire, but have yet to listen. They used to be one of my favorite bands, but then I started to feel that their prime was behind them. (I did not like "Snakes for the Divine".) Consequently, I am afraid to listen to this new one. This seems to happen with some bands after awhile...

Contemplating getting that Pallbearer album. I've been on a little music buying binge this week (hooray for iTunes gift cards that I forgot I had), but have mainly purchased non-metal stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Is it weird that I was listening to Spice Girls and Cradle of Filth at the same time? DON'T JUDGE ME.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:07 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

creep wrote:
Is it weird that I was listening to Spice Girls and Cradle of Filth at the same time? DON'T JUDGE ME.

Ha! Not weird to me. I've always been the one that everyone else ragged on as a poser for having this or that in my record collection. Owning records by the Cure and Bauhaus was not at all acceptable in the early and mid 80s! (Odd, since now a lot of young metal kids like this stuff and cite it as influential, but I digress.) The judgmental nature of the metal scene has always been off-putting to me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:57 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Just got in from a friend's wedding and blasted Saint Vitus - Dying Inside. The end of the solo/return to the main riff bit always gets to me. In terms of black metal I've been listening to the Strid 7" recently.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:49 pm 
Tofu Pup

I know I'm bringing this back from the dead (and how apropos) but it would appear that this is the metal thread, yes?

Lately two albums have been getting a lot of attention from me:

Gorod - A Perfect Absolution
Hateform - Sanctuary in Abyss

Both are really good, but I think I prefer the previous efforts from each band. In any case, the aforementioned albums are certainly worth checking out.
I've found that not TOO many people have heard of Hateform, and that's frankly pretty shameful. The stuff from their first two albums in particular makes me rage like not many bands can, they're intense as hell.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:17 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm not really sure if I'll fit into this thread. I consider myself a metalhead but seem to come from a different corner of the genre than you guys.

I grew up listening to a lot of death metal like Morbid Angel, Posessed, Deicide, Obituary, Sabbat, Napalm Death, and a lot of thrash like Exodus, D.R.I., Sacred Reich, Kreator, Testament, etc.

Then I got more into NYC/NJ hardcore scene for a while.. I was in a hardcore band in NJ for about 6 years but I guess that's neither here nor there.

These days I listen to a lot of metal that's considered more "metalcore" I suppose...

Bands like As Blood Runs Black, Job For A Cowboy, Lamb of God, As I Lay Dying, The Black Dahlia Murder, Parkway Drive, August Burns Red, Through the Eyes of the Dead, Fleshgod Apocolypse, Caliban, The Devil Wears Prada, Blind Witness, Suffokate, etc.. Most of it sounds like intricate technical death metal with breakdowns. Not sure if you guys are down with that?

I might be a little out of my realm in this thread but I'm afraid it may be the closest on this site, so I'll try and mingle.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:23 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

creep wrote:

Nope I totally understand. I've always been super bi-polar with music. My two favorite genres have always been folk and metal... I'll go right from Nick Drake or Josh Garrels to Cryptopsy or Heaven Shall Burn.. That's just how I roll.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

I like Black Metal but I'm certainly not into it as much as the previous posters are. I can't really get too much into the drone/sludge/stoner metal stuff, personally.
I'm into basically every single band you grew up listening to, and the newer bands that I listen to are basically derivatives of all of those bands. The metalcore thing isn't my cup of tea but there are a few bands that have a taste of it here and there that I enjoy. Mnemic in particular comes to mind right off the bat. I've been listening to their newest album a lot recently as well.

Have you heard any Napalm Death of late? Like any of the past 2-3 albums? It's unbelievably good by anyone's standards, but considering how old these dudes are now it's jawdropping that they still hammer out such aggressive music. "Time Waits for No Slave" is one of my favorite albums of the past decade honestly, it's so forking good. Plus Barney is veg, as if the band wasn't already awesome enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:06 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Antares wrote:
Have you heard any Napalm Death of late? Like any of the past 2-3 albums? It's unbelievably good by anyone's standards, but considering how old these dudes are now it's jawdropping that they still hammer out such aggressive music. "Time Waits for No Slave" is one of my favorite albums of the past decade honestly, it's so forking good. Plus Barney is veg, as if the band wasn't already awesome enough.

I've got a few of them downloaded, Smear Campaign, Utilitarian, Time Waits..., and Enemy of the Music Business... but to be honest I listen to Enemy of the Music Business the most. My favorite ND album was "Inside The Torn Apart" back in the day and "Enemy of the music Business" has more of that same metal feel and less of the grindcore feel to it. I'll give Time Waits for No Slave another listen though since I honestly never gave it much more than a listen or two.

If you're into super aggressive, extremely percussive stuff like some of the old Napalm Death stuff check out the album "Oracles" by the band "Fleshgod Apocalypse" if you don't have it. Just make sure you avoid their other album though called "Agony" as that one sucks terribly (they implemented some aweful midi string section crepe that ruined the album).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tynamite wrote:
These days I listen to a lot of metal that's considered more "metalcore" I suppose...

Bands like As Blood Runs Black, Job For A Cowboy, Lamb of God, As I Lay Dying, The Black Dahlia Murder, Parkway Drive, August Burns Red, Through the Eyes of the Dead, Fleshgod Apocolypse, Caliban, The Devil Wears Prada, Blind Witness, Suffokate, etc.. Most of it sounds like intricate technical death metal with breakdowns. Not sure if you guys are down with that?

This was a lot of the stuff I listened to in my teen years. I used to see Parkway pretty regularly back when they just had EPs out. They used to play a lot with I Killed The Prom Queen in my hometown so I kind of grew up on that local hardcore scene. I'm not into them anymore but it was a good time while it lasted.

I do still listen to some broad metalcore kind of stuff, though- I got pretty into Gaza recently.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

I actually dig "Agony" but I can see how the symphonic thing can put a lot of people off. Sometimes I can't handle it either.