| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the leek and bean cassoulet for the second time last night. The first time I made it it was good but I am wondering if I did something wrong then because the one I made last night was *absolutely delicious*. I am at work on my lunch break now wishing I had brought some of the leftovers instead of what I have.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:36 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I got the Vcon for Christmas and have been putting a nice dent in my cooking queue from it. I've made more things than I can remember right now, but as a quick rundown....

I've made the red lentil cauliflower curry, which was okay. I discovered I'm not a huge fan of cauliflower unless it's roasted with garlic! :P

The pineapple cashew quinoa stirfry was simple, delicious, and wonderfully colorful.

I made seitan for the first time in the form of the seitan cutlets! I used them in the spicy udon stirfry, which had a wonderful, mellow spice. Great comfort food! The leftover seitan was used in the banh mi dipping sandwiches; my omni-turned-vegetarian boyfriend even requested them again, and my friend-who-hates-vegetables said it was great. :)

Last night I made the potato-kale enchiladas. I sprinkled some cheddar Daiya inside with the filling and on top of the entire dish. I had a few omni friends over and they polished off all of them! They gave special compliments to the sauce.

I really want to make the almond cookies, and tonight's meal will be the spicy tempeh with broccoli rabe and rotelle.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:27 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I loooove the almond cookies, even the sesame oil addition!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:20 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I made a fat-free version of the Lower-Fat Deep Chocolate Bundt Cake yesterday and it was delicious! Would definitely make again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Chickpea Cutlets. Nom, nom...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:34 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Curried Udon Noodle Stir Fry! My boyfriend walked in from work and said "something smells amazing." We used dried udon noodles and the texture was way better than those individually wrapped packets.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:10 am 
Huffs Nooch

Last night I made the spicy tempeh and broccoli rabe with whole wheat rotini. I've cooked with tempeh a few times and remained a doubter...until this dish. Steaming, cubing, mashing, and simmering did wonders for the flavor, and the texture fit right in with the ww pasta and greens. One could probably sub the broccolini for a spinach/broccoli mix for the same effect, if broccoli rabe isn't available. Great recipe, will make again! :D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:18 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

mel b wrote:
Curried Udon Noodle Stir Fry! My boyfriend walked in from work and said "something smells amazing." We used dried udon noodles and the texture was way better than those individually wrapped packets.

I love this recipe (I use "fresh" udon, the vacuum packed kind, because that's the type I can find)! It requires a bit more pots and pans than I typically like to use, but it isn't difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Leek and Bean Cassoulet the other night. DELICIOUS! And my kids LOVED it. We will definitely be making that again.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:41 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I got this book in the Summer of '09, and I too was a bit intimidated at first. By that Fall, though, I was cooking from it regularly. I've since become a bit of a vegan cookbook hoarder, but always return to this one. To date I've made over 100 of the recipes, several of them multiple times. I have so many favorites, it would take up too much space to list them. The great thing about this book is that there are simple, everyday recipes for familiar things that are so ridiculously good, you'll always make them that way (ex. Creamy Tomato Soup), plus recipes for really unique things you can break out to impress omnis and fellow vegans alike (Mole Skillet Pie w/ Greens). This book has taught me how to be a better cook and made me way more creative and adventurous than I used to be- between the handy "how to cook a (grain, bean, etc.) tutorials in the beginning, and the sauce chapter towards the back, there's so much great stuff to mix and match (which is also a great chapter).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:31 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Leek and Bean Cassoulet again two nights ago (love me some leftovers). Got a question, though. First of all, how large are the leeks supposed to be? The ones I get at the grocery store here are HUGE. The first time I made this, I only used one. This time, I used two, and it seemed like too much. Also, how do you chop them up? I checked the beginning of VCON, but I still wasn't sure how small the pieces should be or how far into the white part I should go. Should I have chopped until there was no more green? VCON says to chop about halfway into the white part, but halfway, there is still some green. Also, should I peel off the outer parts? I did this time, because the leeks were so big. I LOVE this recipe, and it is going to be a staple at our house, especially in the winter (though I can take the heat in the kitchen in the summer for it - it's worth it! YUM!)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:33 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

tgw777 wrote:
The great thing about this book is that there are simple, everyday recipes for familiar things that are so ridiculously good, you'll always make them that way (ex. Creamy Tomato Soup), plus recipes for really unique things you can break out to impress omnis and fellow vegans alike (Mole Skillet Pie w/ Greens).

How many times have you made the Mole Skillet Pie w/Greens? Any suggestions for my first time trying this?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:27 am 
Chard Martyr

tgw777 wrote:
I've since become a bit of a vegan cookbook hoarder, but always return to this one. To date I've made over 100 of the recipes, several of them multiple times. I have so many favorites, it would take up too much space to list them.

Me too! V'Con is my favourite cookbook ever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Arlyss wrote:
I made the Leek and Bean Cassoulet again two nights ago (love me some leftovers). Got a question, though. First of all, how large are the leeks supposed to be? The ones I get at the grocery store here are HUGE. The first time I made this, I only used one. This time, I used two, and it seemed like too much. Also, how do you chop them up? I checked the beginning of VCON, but I still wasn't sure how small the pieces should be or how far into the white part I should go. Should I have chopped until there was no more green? VCON says to chop about halfway into the white part, but halfway, there is still some green. Also, should I peel off the outer parts? I did this time, because the leeks were so big. I LOVE this recipe, and it is going to be a staple at our house, especially in the winter (though I can take the heat in the kitchen in the summer for it - it's worth it! YUM!)

I pretty much chop all the way to the end, but I really like leeks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey Arlyss,

You want to use all of the white and light green part and discard the dark green ends. The ends are tough and stringy, the white and light green parts are tender and delicious!

I usually chop it into quarter rounds and then rinse them in a colander to get all the dirt out (dirt gets in between the layers).

I love the white bean and leek cassoulet too!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:48 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The Asparagus Quiche is more like a white bean and tarragon pie, but dang, it was a fabulous white bean and tarragon pie! First successful crust too :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:44 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the pumpkin baked ziti years ago and remember thinking it was pretty meh but I made it again on Wednesday (sans walnuts in the topping) and it's so good! I added chopped Tofurky italian sausages but I wish I had left them out for pure pumpkin-y goodness.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:31 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm going to have to try the pumpkin baked ziti again, but with some tweaks. I was really looking forward to it because it's gotten so many rave reviews here, but it turned out kind of meh. Edible but nothing to rave about. One of my issues was topping to pasta ratio. There was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much topping. Has anyone else had this problem? The recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups bread crumbs, but the 1/4 margarine wasn't nearly enough to coat that all, and I ended up with basically a really thick layer of dry bread crumbs (with some sage and walnut pieces) overwhelming the ziti (actually penne). And when I cut it, it was breadcrumbs everywhere. At work, someone looked at my leftover piece and declared it looked like I was eating a pile of sawdust for lunch.

Any tips for where I might have gone wrong? Or is this what it's supposed to be like? Maybe I just need to halve the topping recipe? (And up the onion ratio, because I think my onions were too small.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:12 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i don't use the crumbs or whatever the white sauce is in it (cashew cream?) . i'm not a big fan of breadcrumb topping on anything, so don't bother, or if i really want them, just sprinkle on a thin layer and some ground sage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I do like the cashew ricotta, but yeah, maybe I'll try it next time without the breadcrumbs. Although I like the walnut/sage combo.

Hmmm... now I'm thinking up the onion by half (mmm... caramelized onion...), leave out the breadcrumbs entirely, and do a thin topping of just walnuts and sage. Thanks, torque! I'm still getting my toes wet in cooking from cookbooks, and reading other people's tweaks sort of helps give me "permission" to do my own tweaks. (Not that I need permission... I just haven't built up the confidence to stray much from the recipes yet, ifyaknowwhadimean?)

Still, I'm really happy that I'm finally getting over my fear of V'con! The marinated Asian style tofu is my favorite new way to prepare tofu, and I've been drizzling, covering, dolloping, and dipping everything I eat lately in the Tahini Miso dressing.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Arlyss wrote:
tgw777 wrote:
The great thing about this book is that there are simple, everyday recipes for familiar things that are so ridiculously good, you'll always make them that way (ex. Creamy Tomato Soup), plus recipes for really unique things you can break out to impress omnis and fellow vegans alike (Mole Skillet Pie w/ Greens).

How many times have you made the Mole Skillet Pie w/Greens? Any suggestions for my first time trying this?

4 times so far, I think? It's been great w/ omnis because pies always look impressive, plus it's not trying to be meaty/cheesy, so there's no comparisons from them. My personal favorite greens and beans combo is pintos with rainbow chard, pretty and tasty.

The first time I made it was my first time making a crust from scratch, and I have always been very intimidated by crusts. If that is the case for you, allow a little extra time and make the mole the day before if you can (really speeds things up). Just follow the crust directions exactly and you'll come out with something that looks way harder to make than it was!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Made the potato and kale enchiladas the other night, with spinach because pickings were slim in the greens department. I hadn't made these for like two years, I'd forgotten how good they are! We usually make the Viva Vegan enchiladas, but tomatillos are hard to come by here so I think we'll be turning back to these ones a lot more often.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:20 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Finally made the low-fat banana bread... had to add 1/4 cup MORE applesauce and about a 1/3 cup of almond milk to make a more moist batter as mine came out ridiculously dry. Baked them into muffins and they came out great though!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:42 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

sammyrenee wrote:
Finally made the low-fat banana bread... had to add 1/4 cup MORE applesauce and about a 1/3 cup of almond milk to make a more moist batter as mine came out ridiculously dry. Baked them into muffins and they came out great though!

I made these last week as muffins too! I added an extra banana (because I like my muffins extra banana-y) and they ended up being very moist, so that's another option.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:40 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Loved the Chile Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu! So simple and tasty.

Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 32  Next