| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does tumblr/Pinterest make you want to watermark your photos
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:04 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I ran out of room for the question mark.

Anyway, this is something i've been thinking about a lot lately. I don't think my photos are super wonderful, but here's the thing: I hate tumblr. I hate that you can post no original content and call it your 'blog'. I know a lot of people have problems with the fact that Tumblr and Pinterest save a copy of your photo to their server, and I get that. It mostly bothers me that someone can post my photo, and more people will 'like' the person who just reblogged it than who will click through and say anything to me about it. The real clincher for me was when I was looking at my flickr stats and found some of my food pictures being used on someones thinspiration/anorexia blog. So I found this:

http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/ ... 989036401/

I also didn't realize that tumblr saves the photos until today. Don't ask me why that didn't occur to me, because otherwise they'd be stealing bandwidth. But I could delete or make a photo private, and it would still appear on whoever's tumblr blog.

I feel like Pinterest is a little different, at least for me. For me it's a collection of bookmarks with photos. It still sucks that they save hi-res photos. It sucks that some people take the time to upload photos themselves off of google (really, I want to click through to know how I can make that hula-hoop rug, you asparagus!).

I always thought that since i'm not a professional or even a really good amateur, putting a watermark on my photos was kind of dumb and a little douchey. But now it is so easy for people to post your stuff without credit, they don't even have to right click or take a screen cap. People will cut off watermarks in photoshop, but now that it's so easy to copy photos around, that seems less likely to happen.

So is anyone else considering this?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Post subject: Re: Does tumblr/Pinterest make you want to watermark your ph
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:19 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I'm not a photographer, so maybe it's a little different. but anything I put out there (in almost any form) is pretty much free for any non-commercial use, occasionally requiring attribution. I guess I've never (known of?) had the situation of someone using my work negatively, but quite broadly I'm all for everything being available to anyone to play with as they please

I generally don't really like seeing watermarks either, so I (following that principle) wouldn't watermark my things

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

okay, yes this is totally a concern of mine
The thing for me is, to be an artist right now you pretty much have to be out there with at the BARE MINIUM a website /online portfolio, so your work is going to be out there in the interspace. Watermarks are often awful visually (if they are effective, the ones in the corners are too easy to crop out) and do not leave a good taste in the mouth of 90% of people looking at an online portfolio.
it is also suggested that you have a tumblr,blog,twitter,facebook etc because the more people who are seeing our work the better.
This SUCKS because people steal stuff all the time.

I pretty much go with the advice that Kate Bingaman Burt (of obsessive consumption) gave one of my classes:

"more good than harm comes from having your work out there so to deal with misuse or plagiarism keep an eye out and always have a cease and desist letter ready to go."

sigh,the internet is awesome but it also sucks.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

Rather than a gigantic douchey watermark, could just just put a little, tiny one in the corner. Are people really going to photoshop it out?

I stole that image from isa.

------------------------------
OkC | Google+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:50 pm 

booberthefraggle wrote:

"more good than harm comes from having your work out there so to deal with misuse or plagiarism keep an eye out and always have a cease and desist letter ready to go."

That is true, but i'm not trying to sell anything or get recognized for my 'work'. These are just my personal photos, that I take for funsies. I don't watermark them out of laziness and I feel like if I watermark my photos, I think they're good enough to rip off and I never want anyone to think that *I* think i'm good, or I might like, have to put effort into my pictures.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:51 pm 

dandirtyapes wrote:
Rather than a gigantic douchey watermark, could just just put a little, tiny one in the corner. Are people really going to photoshop it out?

I stole that image from isa.

Haha!

It wouldn't be gigantic and douchey, I would just put my url in the corner so people know where it came from. asparagus.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

Heres another option Image

OkC | Google+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:06 pm 

Why won't you take me seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mrsbadmouth wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:

That is true, but i'm not trying to sell anything or get recognized for my 'work'. These are just my personal photos, that I take for funsies. I don't watermark them out of laziness and I feel like if I watermark my photos, I think they're good enough to rip off and I never want anyone to think that *I* think i'm good, or I might like, have to put effort into my pictures.

ah yeah, but your pictures are pretty damn profesh. I would honestly ask whoever is using them to take the photos down?

PEOPLE DO TOTALLY CROP/PHOTOSHOP SMALL WATERMARKS.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:33 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Yeah...I pretty much just assume that if I'm putting my stuff out into the world, people might do stuff with it. It may not be what I want them to do with it, but that's what happens when my stuff is out in the world. In a way it's not really "mine" anymore. (that's not to say that other artists should think the same way I do, but that's just how I feel with regard to stuff I create and share.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:27 am 
Saggy Butt

I guess it isn't a huge issue for me as I just take pictures for fun and only a few of them get posted on Tumblr anyway, but it definitely annoys me when people blog pictures without linking back to the source. I didn't realise Tumblr saved the images either, and it isn't really necessary in my opinion anyway as Flickr always requires you to link back to the original page when you post a picture.

One of the reasons I upload photos is to show people delicious vegan food, so when people share them in that way I think it's awesome, but I've also seen people using vegan pictures to accompany non-vegan recipes and that kind of bothers me.

I wish there was a way to attach extra information to an image file without altering the picture itself (is there?)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:54 am 
Inflexitarian

I never used to watermark my pics, pretty much because of the douche factor, & because they are so easy to remove. Being an illustrator/artist, I do post my pics online in a professional capacity, & I do want to direct clients & customers to my site, but for those of you who just post your pics for fun, I still think it's a good idea. Perhaps not a watermark as such - the purpose of a watermark is to cover integral areas of an image to make theft difficult - but at least a credit in the corner of the image. Yes, they can be cropped out, but even the trickiest watermark can be removed. My aim is just to include a credit on every image I post online to direct people back to my site if they want to find out where the image is from. Particularly with Tumblr, but also with Pinterest, it's all too easy to lose track of an image's source. Everyone deserves credit where it's due, & it really peeves me when Pinterest users don't credit correctly or link back to the source.

I have had my images stolen. They've ended up as avatars, Photoshop brushes, on merchandise for sale in people's Etsy shops, etc., not to mention the countless blogs where people have posted my pics without a credit (thank heavens for TinEye). This is probably the most bizarre case of theft - one of my pics turning up on an exhibition poster at the Shanghai Art Museum. http://magicjelly.com.au/blog/2011/07/i ... lattering/ There's no stopping people who want to steal your pics, but you can do your part to deter them. I never post anything online anymore that's larger than 800x600px (smaller if I think it could end up on a collage sheet or scrabble tile pendant in someone's Etsy shop) & I also have a very comprehensive copyright policy so people know exactly what they're permitted to do if they want to share my work. http://magicjelly.com.au/blog/copyright-policy/ That really helps if things ever get to the cease & desist stage.

It might seem a little presumptuous if you think you need to protect your images online, but really it's not douchey at all. It's a necessary evil because there are a lot of people out there who don't care about crediting the source, who have no ethics, no respect for copyright, & think Google Images is a free-for-all where they can go & get themselves free pics to use however they like.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:30 am 

Karena, I went to your site and you have pretty much what I was going to do.

I think two examples of watermarks/what have you that I think are important work, are:

Hannah Kaminsky. She is really good and she puts a copyright and her website at the bottom of all of her pictures, I think she deserves credit for everything she posts and people who see it deserve to know where they can go to see more.

A lot of nail blogs watermark their photos when they do swatches of colors, and i'm glad because if I see someone with a similar skin tone/nail length to mine, I want to go check out their blog and see the rest of their color swatches.

And any illustration, I want to know who did it if I like it so I can maybe buy it!

I've always had it so only I can get the full size pictures off of flickr (no one needs to be able to zoom in that close anyway).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:31 am 

Oh, and I never think professional photographers/artists are douchey for having their name/site on the picture, it's more when people will watermark iphone photos they took in the dark and things like that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:24 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I dislike tumblr and pinterest. I say put your info on your photos. I'd rather follow the flickr of the person making interesting, creative work than the tumblr of the dull asparagus person just reposting things with no links or credit to the good stuff.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:20 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I don't find it douchey. Just make it subtle, as you will. Jay's had plenty of illustrations stolen that he spent hours and hours creating. I finally convinced him to watermark.

I don't see it as a "my photography is so excellent so LOOK IT'S MINE" thing.

I like Pinterest but I don't put much/any "work" out there myself so I can see it being a bit disconcerting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:49 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Pinterest is updating its terms of service to say they can't sell your images and to make reporting copyright/trademark infringement easier.

http://blog.pinterest.com/post/19799177 ... ated-terms

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:08 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I was looking at my flickr stats and found some of my food pictures being used on someones thinspiration/anorexia blog. So I found this:

What the hell, this happened to me, too. I noticed one of my photos (of banana french toast with blueberries and maple syrup, if that matters) was getting a ton of traffic on flickr. I followed through and discovered that it's being liked and reposted on pro-anorexia tumblrs. It was really disturbing and triggering for me. I don't even care about getting recognition, I just plain don't want my stuff being posted in that context.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:20 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I don't have tumblr or pinterest, so I have no idea how many photos I've had stolen because of those sites, but the links I've stumbled across or got notified of have always been credited in some way. I have a copyright notice on my website (and on blogs), but I've never felt inclined to watermark anything. I think the giant opaque lettering some people do looks tacky. I have no idea how to go about finding all the photo thieves on the internet, but if I ever found out it was a problem, I may start doing a small watermark in the corner. If someone really wants to use your photo without permission, they're going to find a way to do it, so whatever. My copyright is automatically embedded in the metadata of my photos.

The other day I was reading an article about a local bakery and the writer took one of my images and credited the bakery instead of me. Since it was just some crappy photo I took like 3 years ago and didn't really want credit for, I didn't contact them. Maybe I should though so they know to not do that/be more mindful in the future. But maybe the bakery used my photo somewhere and didn't give credit, so they didn't know.

I don't think it's douchey or presumptuous at all if you have a blog or website that you're regularly creating images for. It only ever looks bad because people choose a stupid font or color for their watermark that detracts from the image. It's kinda like when people add smileys, hearts, and lol's after everything they write instead of writing like a normal person.

edit: The lady who stole my bakery photo has an image of pizza in one of her photo slideshows. It has a watermark of someone's blog, but she credits the restaurant instead, so I guess she's just stupid. But there's an instance where the watermark was beneficial! Even if it was neon green.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

dandirtyapes wrote:
Heres another option Image

I'm having flashbacks to the "No Copywriting on Food Porn" thread from the old boards. I wish that thread was still around.