| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What supplements do you take (if any)?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:28 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I take a multi like every other day and then a B12 twice a week or so. DHA every day. Vitamin D when I feel like I haven't been outside in days...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:51 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I take a multi daily, and a b12 (1000 mcg Cyanocobalamin) every other day. I take omega 3 a few times a week, although the ones I have now make me gag (literally), so I have to find a different one. I've considered supplementing with D because there's no way I'm getting enough from the sun where I live, but since it's included in my multi, I don't know if that's really necessary. I also take glucosamine for my bad knee but I don't really notice a difference so I'm going to stop taking that when it runs out.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Multi, D2, B12, DHA, and carnitine (I have a genetic carnitine deficiency. I've taken this stuff since I was 18 months old.)

For the people who only take vitamin D in the winter, do you have your levels checked regularly? I had only been vegan for 6 months (and live in Florida, sun forever) and my D was very low.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, I saw a study saying that looked at light skinned young omnivores who lived in Hawaii and were getting an average of 29 hours of sun a week. Half of them still had low vitamin D - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17426097

A multivitamin with 400 IUs of D or only taking D in the winter is not likely to be enough for a lot of people.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:15 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I was taking the D regularly for a while, but then I saw something about how over supplementing was bad so I backed off a bit. I would just get it checked but my nurse practitioner refuses to run any tests I don't *need* so yeah...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Supplementing folic acid, iron and zinc is sometimes suspected of causing problems for some people (mostly folic acid because it's different from folate found in food and has some negative health associations) in multivitamin all cause mortality studies. We don't need to worry that supplementing iron is bad for us though because we don't consume heme iron which is always absorbed, whether your body needs it or not. I've never seen someone point to vitamin D as the culprit in multivitamin studies. The upper limit on D supplementing is something over 4000 IUs a day.

Here's one study urging more vitamin D supplementation (of 2000 IUs or more) to reduce cardiovascular deaths - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22019754

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

When I was diagnosed with low vitamin D, I read something that suggested that even huge doses of vitamin D hadn't actually been proven to cause negative side effects, that it was just speculation that it might. I think this is different for men and women though. Too much vitamin D can cause prostate cancer in men? But I'm not sure how much is too much. Sorry, unhelpful post. I don't remember the article and I'm lazy, but it's probably out there somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

this is what I read
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/17/healt ... -much.html

"Vitamin D is good to a certain level,” said the lead author, Dr. Muhammad Amer, an assistant professor of medicine at Johns Hopkins. “But don’t just keep on taking it. Have your blood drawn and your levels checked.”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, I read that article too. That's the only person I've ever seen suggesting that 21 nanograms/ml is a good upper limit for vitamin D. There are lots of studies that show that vitamin d supplementation correlates inversely with mortality though. Like this meta-analysis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22343489

And here's one showing that increasing vitamin d reduces inflammation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22388612

I'm sure that if you have too much vitamin D, it can be bad for you. I just don't think that's likely if you're vegan and not taking enormous daily doses.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:48 am 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Currently, I'm just taking a b12/folic acid/something else tablet. I was taking a multi, but I don't know where I left them and I can't find vegan vitamins here : (

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Multivitamin, DHA/omega-3, B12, and iron.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:33 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

vegimator wrote:
Yeah, I read that article too. That's the only person I've ever seen suggesting that 21 nanograms/ml is a good upper limit for vitamin D. There are lots of studies that show that vitamin d supplementation correlates inversely with mortality though. Like this meta-analysis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22343489

And here's one showing that increasing vitamin d reduces inflammation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22388612

I'm sure that if you have too much vitamin D, it can be bad for you. I just don't think that's likely if you're vegan and not taking enormous daily doses.

OK, so 1000 IU every other day or something probably stil be helpful then I'm assuming. Good to know!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:29 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Chewable calcium tablets ( They taste like coconut :D ) and biotin.
When I can remember I'll take a boron tablet "to help with calcium absorption"
And an all-round Vegan multivitamin.

In fact all of these are "when I can remember"
Apart from the calcium because it tastes good and I get to eat it rather than swallow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:56 pm 
Impressive boner

I take a multivitamin with iron every day and the occasional b-vitamin supplement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:46 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Tiny Tabs multi (because I gag on the regular multis, and multis where you take 4 or whatever are really expensive)
Veg DHA
B12
Zinc and occasionally Iron, since the tiny tabs don't have much going on in the mineral department due to bulk.

I have a D and calciums, but I'm almost out of calcium and worry about the coffee/tea interactions so I don't take them often enough, and I don't seem to remember at night enough.

I also have some metamucil & other poop-helper in powder form and a pill with similar ingredients that I picked up at our local closeout grocery. I take some probiotics sometimes too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:57 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Rubella wrote:
I've noticed a lot of people just write "a multi". I take one too, and the pills smell wicked gross and are huge and I have a hard time convincing my throat to swallow these large, stinky things. What are other people's like? Please tell me there is a not super expensive, small, maybe even chewable or gummy vitamin that I can take!

http://store.veganessentials.com/tiny-t ... p2669.aspx Here are the small ones I take though it sounds like there might be vegan gummi vitamins out there? Since its so small I take some irons around my bleeding times and some calcium and zinc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I either drink some Vega or take a multivitamin. I don't do both unless it's been a really crazy week and I'm eating like crepe because the multivitamin has a ton of B6 and I'm really wary of the possibility of toxicity.

I take a vegetarian women's multivitamin from Wegman's. They also make what they call a Vegetarian Multi, which is pretty similar - I think it may have less iron and calcium. For whoever was asking about multis, it's fairly reasonably priced and I think it's on the smaller side for multivitamins. The label advertises it as vegetarian, but it does also say it contains no milk or eggs and none of the other ingredients looked suspicious to me, so I'm operating under the assumption that it's vegan, but I'm not 100% positive. The directions say to take three capsules a day with food, but I only take one or two, again because of the B6.

I have a bottle of B12 supplements that I take maybe once or twice a week just as extra insurance. I feel like I'm getting enough between Vega and the multi and my levels have been fine, but I'd really rather take just a few extra pills than find out a year down the line that I've been wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've started taking VegLife iron during my periods. Lately I've been really fatigued during that time of the month.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:49 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I take a multi with iron (the iron on the advice of my doc as I am prone to being slightly anaemic), omega 3 and a vit C with zinc. On any given day I will usually forget at least one of these.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:09 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

alice1drland wrote:
Multi-vitamin (VegLife one-a-day with iron)
B12
Cranberry
Probiotic

That's it. Should probably get my blood tested one of these days, though. I guess I should look into DHA, but I recall the last time I looked they were bloody expensive.

I very, very recently added glucosamine/MSM to the list, since I have a history of joint problems (hereditary arthritis, running, yadda yadda). Had a physical last week and my vitamin/mineral levels are awesome, so clearly whatever I'm doing is working!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My morning regimen:

Multi-vitamin (Animal Parade)
Iron supplement (VegLife)

My evening regimen:

Calcium
Algae-based omega-3 supplement
B complex
Flax oil

Sometimes I'll also drink smoothies with fortified protein powders during the day...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:34 am 
Naked Under Apron

I currently take a multi (which includes a full RDA of B12), Calcium and Iodine (every other day). I also take DHAs if we have them but not always.

Mat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Right now I'm taking a multi (Deva Vegan), 2000 IU of vegan vitamin D, and one Deva Cal-Mag Plus tablet which is only about a third of the recommended dosage on the bottle, I figure it's enough.

I also just got some VegLife B12 lozenges because I want to take one once a week or so, in case my multi isn't enough. My last test for B12 was about 3 years ago and my levels were fine.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

Last edited by Quarantined on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:40 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I take 2000ui of D a day and have for a couple years. I almost never get sick! Like, as in, I have once in the last...oh, 3 years?
I also take a DHA daily, iron daily, a B complex daily and b12 twice weekly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:50 am 
Saggy Butt

I take half a VegLife Vegan One Multiple once a day. I cut it in half because I eat a really healthy diet (most of the time anyway) and I don't think 1000+% of a daily intake of any nutrient/vitamin is necessary.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next