| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 78  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:53 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Catalina wrote:
appifanie wrote:
So the husband decide he needs/wants a mountain bike. I just showed him a picture of the Surly Necromancer Pug (because we have a pug, so, you know) and he decided he needs to have it. Ha.

I hope you can find some snow or deep sand because that's what they're best for. I want a snowbike some day, don't know if I want a pug or a salsa mukluk.

this is helpful!

quick everyone! the husband has to decide by tomorrow whether or not he wants one - he has a giant that's like 2 months old and he had forgotten how much he loves biking. aside from snow and deep sand, is there another reason to get this one specifically? also, we're in woodsy NC right now but will go back NE eventually. northeast.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Not really. I know there are people out there who ride them wherever/whenever but those suckers are heavy. My boyfriend has one and I've ridden it and while it's fun I wouldn't want to do more than ride through the snow. If I wanted a bike to take on trails I'd get something else. If you moved back to the NE it would be fun if there was a lot of powder, but it's not even really an ideal winter commuter. More a super fun bike.

It's also an expensive bike The complete bike is over $1600, if you build one from the frame up you still have the tires that are $100 a piece, etc.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:25 pm 

yeah it's $1800 and he has to put down a deposit if he wants it. i get that they're popular but it stinks you can't even sit on it or try them out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:01 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I would pass if I were him. Surly makes some great (by all accounts) mountain bikes that are a bit more all-purpose than the pug. I hear the troll is pretty awesome...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:02 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

In other news, I am thinking about getting a mountain bike. I HAVE A PROBLEM.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:06 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

jordanpattern wrote:
I HAVE A PROBLEM.

Oh my god I understand! If I'm not lusting after a bike I'm thinking about upgrades.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:07 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yup. Everyone around here does tonnes of mountain biking, and the team I joined is a mtb/cx team, so right now, all the mtb stuff is happening. I want in on the action.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:01 am 

thanks guys! i'll break the news to him now.

eta: he took it well!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:13 am 
Hail Seitan!

jordanpattern wrote:
In other news, I am thinking about getting a mountain bike. I HAVE A PROBLEM.

join the club. ive got my eye on a niner hardtail... might sell off the salsa and pick up a mtb sooner than later.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:54 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm probably going to go see a Marin women's specific bike this weekend. It's nothing amazing, but it looks like it might be a good entry level bike for someone like me. Now if I can only figure out where to put it...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:03 am 
Hail Seitan!

if found its best to buy the bike first, then figure out where to put it later :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 am 
Hail Seitan!

jordanpattern wrote:
Embrocation: anyone use it?

jordan, good write-up of embro. also one of my favorite blogs to pick up great pointers.

http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2 ... -balm.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:30 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Oh, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:19 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

If I had to do it again with my MTB I would definitely go 29.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:08 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yeah? Do you mind elaborating on why? I've been told that at my size (5'6 and slight) that a 29er would be more of a hindrance than a benefit, so I'm curious to hear another woman's experience.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:24 pm 

My friend explained it using a dime and a quarter and demonstrated how much easier it was for the quarter to roll over an object than the dime, which was useful for me in envisioning how much easier it would be to overcome obstacles with a bigger wheel. Assuming everything else about the bike fit right.

I'm shorter than you, though, so I am interested in hearing the anti- argument!

Also, for the record, I do love my MTB regardless; I just wish I had more opportunity to ride it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:47 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

as a taller dude, a 29 is a bunch of fun. total steamroller over rocks and lumps. that is all I have to contribute :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:16 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Interesting. Thank you! I actually was talking with a couple people at an event about mountain bikes yesterday, and they also said that a 29er is the way to go. One of them is the same height as me and said I could borrow his to try it out. I think I'll take him up on it, so I'm stoked!

I'm also inspired to get back out there despite the crappy weather. I volunteered and worked a checkpoint at a spring classic ride put on by my team yesterday. The main route was 100 miles with 10,000 feet of climbing, and the shorter route was about 80/7,000. I had hoped to do the shorter ride, but I had a crazy month at work and combined with the bad weather we've had, I didn't feel fit for it. Anyway, it was pouring rain and, like, 44. I was at the first checkpoint 30 miles in, and it was utter insanity. I think over half of the riders (140 showed up) dropped out, and a bunch of them had to be rescued. The ride was mostly road but about 10% "mixed terrain" (read: dirt), so people were coming in just caked with mud. I think one person ended up getting mild hypothermia (and was taken to the hospital, treated, and released). Today looks like more shitty weather, and I'm definitely going to get out there for a ride, even if it's short.

In conclusion, cyclists are crazy people in the best kind of way.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm planning on doing a solo bike tour for a couple weeks in June.....and have gotten a negative reaction from so many people. Planning is still in its early stages....but if anyone has words of wisdom they'd be greatly appreciated!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:51 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Have you ever toured before? Where is your route?

My gut reaction, to be honest, is also negative. Why not go with some other people?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:59 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Years back- never solo. I'm still debating on which route. Part of me would love to go with other people but in all honesty I don't have anyone to go with. The real reason is a bit hard to explain.....but basically I'm tired of people seeing me as weak or vulnerable.....and so the thought of doing something awesome on my own is pretty appealing. It's something I've wanted to do for a while and just never have for a variety of reasons (school, jobs, medical stuff etc.).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:36 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I absolutely understand that (cycling has been super huge for me in that regard) but would recommend something other than a potentially dangerous solo tour. That's a huge undertaking, expensive, and, as before, potentially dangerous. Why not sign up to do a charity century or something? That's a really great thing that you can train for throughout the spring and summer and is totally do-able and bad asparagus.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:15 pm 
Chip Strong

Cycled along a canal towpath to the second of two training days for work. Yesterday I took the bus, but felt horribley travel sick on the way back, so I looked at the map and realised I just had a short distance through streets and then could follow the canal, so didn't have to worry about getting lost. It was great; I didn't fall in the water! Oh, and didn't have to leave any earlier than I would to get the bus, which meanders through town.
In the morning it was beautiful and misty and I saw moorhens and coots and a big swan and sparrows and flowers. In the afternoon it became very, very hot so there were lots of people out walking along the canal, so I got lots of use out of my bell. And saw ducks!
Definite win for bikes.

Also, my route home passed a group of people I usually practise with on Sundays, and they hadn't left yet, so I stayed with them for a few hours. Two of the guys fought over wanting to have a go on my bike and my boyfriend said at least 6 six times that he really likes my bike. Apparently it is relaxing to ride.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:56 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
One of them is the same height as me and said I could borrow his to try it out. I think I'll take him up on it, so I'm stoked!

Do it! (And report back :) )

I will try out my friend's as well when I get back to the east coast.

Quote:
In conclusion, cyclists are crazy people in the best kind of way.

Indeed!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:06 pm 

Rowan wrote:
I'm planning on doing a solo bike tour for a couple weeks in June.....and have gotten a negative reaction from so many people.

Sorry to add to the crowd, and I know women do tour alone, but I really would advise against it. Heck, I won't even go on a 30 mile neighborhood ride without at least one fellow cyclist.

My advice: Meetup.com. Start your own group if you want to set the limits. I bet you will find others who want to do what you want to do at your pace.

Reply to topic  [ 1940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 78  Next