| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Teen shot in Florida, 911 calls released.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:00 pm 
Semen Strong

Joe Oliver: proof that someone can be racist even if they have a black friend.
http://www.examiner.com/unsolved-cases- ... orida-teen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:50 am 
So Totally Yiffy

lavawitch wrote:
Quote:
In an interview with ABC News on Sunday, Oliver denied Zimmerman used the racial slur "coon" on one of the 911 tapes following the shooting. "I heard 'goon,'" he said. "And talking to my teenage daughter, apparently 'goon' is a term of endearment in high school these days."

So, people commonly use "terms of endearment" when making distress calls to 911 about suspicious persons?

This struck me as odd, too. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't usually say "forking" before a term of endearment! forking honey bunny?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:49 am 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
Quote:
In an interview with ABC News on Sunday, Oliver denied Zimmerman used the racial slur "coon" on one of the 911 tapes following the shooting. "I heard 'goon,'" he said. "And talking to my teenage daughter, apparently 'goon' is a term of endearment in high school these days."

So, people commonly use "terms of endearment" when making distress calls to 911 about suspicious persons?

WHAT.

Urban Dictionary wrote:
1. a real man or I watch too much MTV
originated in flordia
by Krinisha Aug 17, 2007

2. Wow, you guys have no clue. "Goon" is gang terminology for a low level gang member (fyi, gangs have a hierarchy). These low level gang members are usually the street drug runners who work for a boss that is much less visible than them. For this reason certain things are implied in a goon's responsibilities : the goon's are more visible so they "take the fall" for their bosses if some transactions were discovered by police - the goon would take the arrest and never snitch on his boss. The boss (usually much older ) would usually bail the goon out of prison if he should be caught on a job. The boss keeps himself as far away from the "prosecutable action" as possible (see young joc's ref to this when he says "keep my hands clean cause I never touch dope" ). For this purpose of taking the fall, goons are usually preferred to be younger and are often under 18 (to avoid having to be charged/serve time as an adult if caught). Another purpose other than deals is carrying out hits - the goon will never admit who he works for - this helps so that if he is suspected for a murder, it's hard to prove because there is no motive. In a gang organization (fyi gangs are organizations for organized crime just like the mophia, they just don't get that same dark honor for... some reason). This is what is being referred to in Plies's song when he says "born a real I watch too much MTV, but I'mma die a goon".
by rayneman Apr 10, 2008

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=goon

In his defense, Google is hard.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:07 am 
WRETCHED

Am I the only one that had to look up coon? I don't think I've ever heard that before.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:59 am 
Naked Under Apron

linanil wrote:
Am I the only one that had to look up coon? I don't think I've ever heard that before.

I'd heard it, but I didn't think it was still used by anyone younger than about 70. I'd only heard it in movies set in the sixties or earlier.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:04 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

shiitake's getting real right now. I woke up and the news was talking about the newly released info that Trayvon was suspended from school for allegedly having a bag with marijuana residue (IRRELEVANT). And I even saw a leaked photo from his Facebook where he had a golden lower grill (great way to make him seem all stereotypical and black). And, now, there are apparent witnesses to Trayvon attacking Zimmerman. Where the fork were these people weeks ago?

So begins the tarnishing of a victim's name to make the murderer look good. Wondering how opinion will change now that Trayvon is being treated like the stereotype people expect. I mean, this shiitake is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:15 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

That's sickening. This whole thing is sickening.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:41 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

mixmaster_mo wrote:
shiitake's getting real right now. I woke up and the news was talking about the newly released info that Trayvon was suspended from school for allegedly having a bag with marijuana residue (IRRELEVANT). And I even saw a leaked photo from his Facebook where he had a golden lower grill (great way to make him seem all stereotypical and black). And, now, there are apparent witnesses to Trayvon attacking Zimmerman. Where the fork were these people weeks ago?

So begins the tarnishing of a victim's name to make the murderer look good. Wondering how opinion will change now that Trayvon is being treated like the stereotype people expect. I mean, this shiitake is ridiculous.

Yep. My thoughts exactly. The only thing uglier than the murder itself is the public "nothing to see here" that's brewing. And why the hell is Zimmerman still walking around and isn't in custody? Does he still have his gun??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

jordanpattern wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

And as far as I know, he still has his gun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:11 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Shy Mox wrote:
Not only that, but if Zimmerman was harassing him and Martin fought back in self defense, wouldn't Martin be justified in killing Zimmerman and not the other way around? Zimmerman is the aggressor.

Totally! I heard someone on a news show last night say that the "Stand Your Ground" law actually would mean that Trayvon could shoot (if he had a gun) Zimmerman in the facts where they seem to stand now...NOT that Zimmerman had the right to attack Trayvon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

What Everyone Needs To Know About The Smear Campaign Against Trayvon Martin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yep there is a picture going around online that is supposed to portray Trayvon as a gang member. It is a picture of him wearing no shirt, sagging his pants, and flipping off the camera. Not sure when flipping the bird became a gang sign.

ETA: This explains it...

Quote:
1. Prominent conservative websites published fake photos of Martin. Twitchy, a new website run by prominent conservative blogger Michelle Malkin, promoted a photo — purportedly from Martin’s Facebook page — that shows Martin in saggy pants and flipping the bird. The photo, which spread quickly on conservative websites and Twitter, is intended to paint Martin as a thug. As Twitchy later acknowledged, it is not a photo of Trayvon Martin.

Nice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:29 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

sunnybear wrote:
Yep there is a picture going around online that is supposed to portray Trayvon as a gang member. It is a picture of him wearing no shirt, sagging his pants, and flipping off the camera. Not sure when flipping the bird became a gang sign.

That picture isn't even really him.

ETA: Oh, I see you edited to mention that, n/m.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:44 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

And even if it was him, who the hell cares? Since when is being a dumb, surly teenager the exclusive province of gang members? I think it's disgusting that everything else aside, the conservative rhetoric is ignoring the fact that Zimmerman, an adult, killed a CHILD. The right is supposed to be all about children. If it were a black or otherwise non-white adult who killed a white child, you'd better believe there would be outrage. UGH.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:45 pm 
Semen Strong

The lead investigator wanted to arrest Zimmerman

The lead homicide investigator in the shooting of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin recommended that neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman be charged with manslaughter the night of the shooting, multiple sources told ABC News.

But Sanford, Fla., Investigator Chris Serino was instructed to not press charges against Zimmerman because the state attorney's office headed by Norman Wolfinger determined there wasn't enough evidence to lead to a conviction, the sources told ABC News.

Its interesting to see the politics behind decisions to arrest or not. Supposedly Zimmerman's father is retired judge....

And yes, the smearing of Trayvon Martin is horrible. Its just insane.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:52 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Manslaughter?? He'd be LUCKY to get charged with that. He deserves to be charged with murder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:56 pm 
Semen Strong

Apparently this isn't the first arrest that Zimmerman has made "go away." His father is a retired judge, and I imagine those political connections come in handy.

Did George Zimmerman have help from his father, a retired judge, in clearing his name in three separate arrests?

Quote:
According to a records search on George, he was previously arrested for domestic violence, resisting an officer without violence and most shockingly, resisting an officer with violence — a felony charge that surely could have landed him in prison.

All three of those arrests, however, were mysteriously closed with no semblance of charges for the Florida resident. So how was someone with a violent past including that of battery against an officer able to carry a 9 mm handgun? Maybe that’s a question Robert Zimmerman should answer …

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:48 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

jordanpattern wrote:
And even if it was him, who the hell cares? Since when is being a dumb, surly teenager the exclusive province of gang members? I think it's disgusting that everything else aside, the conservative rhetoric is ignoring the fact that Zimmerman, an adult, killed a CHILD. The right is supposed to be all about children. If it were a black or otherwise non-white adult who killed a white child, you'd better believe there would be outrage. UGH.

It's totally forking ridiculous. Mother Jones had this to say about the apparent need for conservatives to attack Trayvon's character and defend Zimmerman. From that piece:
Quote:
And that, it turns out, is the conservative principle that's actually at stake here: convincing us all that traditional racism no longer really exists [...] and that it's whites who are the real racial victims in today's America.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Awesome Colbert piece on "Hoodie Control"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Mr. Shankly wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Sanford PD Has Zimmerman's Gun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

TuxedoCat wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Sanford PD Has Zimmerman's Gun

Thank goodness! But he still has his permit to carry a concealed weapon!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:00 pm 
Semen Strong

Mr. Shankly wrote:

Despite 3 arrests that were conveniently covered up, including one of battery on a police officer. It pays to have a judge as a dad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Mr. Shankly wrote:

I know. That is the scary part (amongst everything else).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

With "friends" like Joe Oliver, who needs enemies... This interview is priceless.
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/lawrence-odo ... -grilling/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:20 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I've seen a few bits of the coverage on Fox News (specifically O'Reilly) and conservatives are starting to try to make (as previously mentioned) the point that "liberals" are trying to invent racism where there is none. They went on and on about how many black-on-black crimes are not getting the same coverage, ignoring the fact that most of the examples given are gang-related (though there were innocent bystander victims) and no suspects were caught at the scene. As one "liberal" commentator discussed, that's COMPLETELY different! The police are looking for suspects in the cases discussed and, if they caught the perpetrators, the perps would immediately be arrested! That's why people are so ticked off, because Zimmerman was automatically believed and not even arrested to use whatever defense he wanted to should he be charged! Do conservatives really not get the difference or are they just trying to stir up right-wing nuts? [I don't discuss issues like this with my dad, as he watches Fox News all the time and I don't really want to get myself upset hearing his views on it.]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next