| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tofu Press
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:08 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Anyone have the tofuxpress tofu press? I am a little tempted to buy one. But it is a tad pricey for such a simple tool. If you have one is it worth the money?

Post subject: Re: Tofu Press
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:12 am 
Naked Under Apron

YES. Totally worth it. Takes about 5 seconds to get your tofu out of the tub and into the press and then you're done. It's really so much better than what I used to do (sandwiched between baking sheets lined with paper towels, with heavy stuff on top).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:12 am 
Semen Strong

I love my tofu press. I bought it on the recommendation of several friends, all who love it. It really was worth the money for me - it makes pressing tofu so easy and messless.

I bought 2, but it turns out I only *need* one, unless we have guests, which is so rare.

I'd definitely buy it if I was you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:18 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Thanks!!

Yeah, I get so sick of the waste of all of those paper towels that are used when pressing.

I will be buying one!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:20 am 
Dead by dawn

Love it, love it, love it. I think it's paid for itself in reduced paper towel usage. And it presses the 'fu much more thoroughly than my old paper towel/cast iron skillet/dented cans method. Occasionally I wish I had a second one but probably not often enough to justify the cost.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:47 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Yes, it so worth it. It presses much better than the book method. I like the texture much better and it's easy to place in the fridge overnight. I didn't use paper towels I always used dish towels (no waste).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm not concerned about the mess, but what about time? Does it press faster than the pile-a-bunch-of-stuff-on-top method?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:07 pm 
ugh

I love mine!

creep wrote:
I'm not concerned about the mess, but what about time? Does it press faster than the pile-a-bunch-of-stuff-on-top method?

Yes, but the setup also allows you to throw it in the fridge while it is being pressed if you want it super firm. I often put tofu straight into the press after I buy it and just leave it until I need it (assuming it won't be like that for more than a few days).

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:09 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

creep wrote:

I don't think it presses faster but you can set it up a long time in advance. I like to put mine in the press a day in advance. Since it stays in the liquid you don't have to rush to cook it. And you can also marinade in it. The instructions say that you can press again after the marinade for a firmer texture.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:37 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I thought about it forever but always told myself it is so ridiculously unnecessary. But then every review said "I thought this was ridiculously unnecessary, but then I got one and now I can't go back." And I agree with that review.

It's not necessary, at all, but it does make really really really yummy tofu. No matter how many cookbooks I piled on top of my beach towel-wrapped tofu, it never pressed as evenly or as much water out of tofu. The container also works well as a marinading dish, and though I have yet to use the light spring, I'm excited to try some different stuff. The pressed tofu sucks in so much marinade after pressing that I've found I need less marinade (which cuts on costs), because it'll permeate the marinade through the tofu even if water is used to create more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:56 pm 

Kweldon wrote:
creep wrote:

I don't think it presses faster but you can set it up a long time in advance. I like to put mine in the press a day in advance. Since it stays in the liquid you don't have to rush to cook it. And you can also marinade in it. The instructions say that you can press again after the marinade for a firmer texture.

I do find it presses a lot faster! The blocks of tofu I buy are fresh/local and medium-firm so they are pretty big. A half hour in the press and they are half the size and I can dump a ton of water out. With the piling stuff on top method, they would just kind of fall apart. I think being able to keep it in the fridge while it's pressing helps it press evenly and hold its shape.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:40 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Okay, y'all have convinced me to finally get one! I've broken so many things with the piling stuff on top method.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:14 pm 

I got one for my birthday and love love love it. even if you only press the tofu for 10 minutes, it totally makes a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:24 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Hmm...

I was one of these 'Why would I need this?'-people. I might need one now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:32 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I've wanted one of those bad boys for a while... I wish I could buy it at a store, though. Has anyone seen these at Whole Foods or anything?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:37 pm 

chaioli wrote:
I've wanted one of those bad boys for a while... I wish I could buy it at a store, though. Has anyone seen these at Whole Foods or anything?

I'm positive that they sold them at Rainbow, but that was back in fall 2010! Maybe they still do!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:47 pm 
Semen Strong

Add me to the it presses faster camp. And not just because of the time and effort involved in wrapping tofu with towels, putting it betwen plates, finding heavy shiitake and balancing it all just right...

I find a ton of liquid comes off right away and I can just pour that off, and if I leave it overnight, I get a firmness I never got with the heavy things method.

I don't have a lot of kitchen gadgets bc I like saving space, but I love this and it has made all the difference in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:25 pm 

Paloma wrote:
Hmm...

Oh, except that they don't ship outside of the US. That dilemma just solved itself.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:25 pm 

Is it just me or is the tofuxpress.com website messed up? I keep trying to order but I can't get past the shipping estimate page... I tried in both Chrome and IE...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:27 pm 

vijita wrote:
chaioli wrote:

I'm positive that they sold them at Rainbow, but that was back in fall 2010! Maybe they still do!

Oooh, I'll check it out tomorrow, since I have to go there anyway. Thanks! I hope they still carry it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:34 pm 

Paloma wrote:
Paloma wrote:
Hmm...

Oh, except that they don't ship outside of the US. That dilemma just solved itself.

Weird. I bought mine about a month ago and they shipped it to Canada, and I'm almost 99% sure they shipped anywhere at that time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

They also sell through Amazon, if you're still having problems with their website.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:59 pm 

It says "until further notice Tofuxpress is not shipping outside of the US". That could very well mean that they used to do that until recently, but stopped doing it at the moment for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:04 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Dave the Cat wrote:
Okay, y'all have convinced me to finally get one! I've broken so many things with the piling stuff on top method.

I busted 3 very expensive cookbooks when my pile crashed to the kitchen floor. I tried to explain to my husband that it would have been cheaper to buy the tofu press in the first place. lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:17 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I love mine and use it all the time. I press it overnight in the fridge or while I'm at work all day, and it's really firm by dinner. It's super easy and not messy at all. And then the press can go in the dishwasher! It's the perfect tool for the lazy/busy person who eats a lot of tofu (me). Totally worth the money.