| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let Them Eat Vegan!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:50 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have my copy of Dreena's new book in my hands right now. It looks great! I'm a big fan of her recipes. My first try will be the Jerk Chickpeas.

Post subject: Re: Let Them Eat Vegan!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:22 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm so excited about this one, mine came in the mail a few days ago and I plan on making the pecan mushroom burgers tomorrow so I'll update when I try them

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:21 am 
Tofu Pup

I bought this too! Excited to go through it a bit more - the recipes look great - just sad that we can't do soy, beans, lentils, nuts, coconut, flax...sadly the list goes on...due to my son's allergies. I just have to get creative with my subs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:07 pm 

I made the Crispy Chip Cookies, and they turned out so good. I subbed wheat flour because I don't keep spelt flour around.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:10 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Keep the reviews coming, please! I like ED&BV but this one doesn't really sing to me. Tell me I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:54 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Are there pictures in this one?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:22 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

There are photos in the book their done by Hannah Kaminsky from the bittersweet blog so their absolutely beautiful. I think there's about 8 pages of color photos in the middle of the book with like 3 photos per page

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:45 am 
Tofu Pup

I made the bf blueberry muffins this morning and they turned out great despite my omitting the yogurt since we can't do soy or coconut, and using half ap and half ww flour instead of oat flour and spelt. Yummy!

We can't eat soy, nuts, legumes or coconut (among other things) since my son is severely allergic. Many of the recipes contain those so it will just take me a little time to go through the book to see what I can make or sub if need be. I'm so sad because everything looks so yummy and I wish I could make it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:18 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I am so, so, so, so, so excited for this book - I just love Dreena's other books, particularly the cookies in Vive Le Vegan and everything in Eat, Drink and Be Vegan.. Can't wait for my copy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:40 pm 
Tofu Pup

is it similar to her past books? one thing i liked about her other books is that she uses a lot of healthy ingredients and different kids of flours. kind of hippy-ish and i'm not afraid of processed foods, but it's nice to have different kinds of recipes.

Alice Walker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:48 pm 

From her blog: http://vivelevegan.blogspot.com.au/sear ... 9:00-08:00
"The theme of "Plant-Powered" runs throughout the book. These are nutritionally dense recipes, made with the vegan basics - whole grains and whole-grain products, beans, seeds, nuts, vegetables and fruits. Yes, there are sweets, but even these I've made with healthier options in mind, and no vegan substitutes (ie cream cheese, margarine). And, I've given you informational sections like your "Eating Your Greens", "Plant-Powered Lunchbox", and "Plant-Powered Pantry". Plus, ALL the recipes are either wheat-free or gluten-free, or have the substitutions to modify accordingly."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made my first recipe over the weekend. The kale slaw with curried almond dressing. I enjoyed it. The dressing alone is super yummy and I liked the kale salad well enough even though I'm not a big fan of raw kale (hard to chew).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:58 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Anyone know why this book is no longer available? On Amazon it says it is not available. Confused. I will be buying it, I know that. All of your reviews are great.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:29 pm 

Bonnie480 wrote:
Anyone know why this book is no longer available? On Amazon it says it is not available. Confused. I will be buying it, I know that. All of your reviews are great.

It is available! Thank god! I'm waiting for some extra $ so I can purchase it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:51 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

It says it ships between 6-11 days. I heard something about some sort of re-print. Dreena mentioned it on FB and her blog. I could be wrong though. I hope I am wrong. I can't wait to get my hands on this cookbook. I just ordered one. So I guess I will see how long it takes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Bonnie480 wrote:
It says it ships between 6-11 days. I heard something about some sort of re-print. Dreena mentioned it on FB and her blog. I could be wrong though. I hope I am wrong. I can't wait to get my hands on this cookbook. I just ordered one. So I guess I will see how long it takes.

The reprint thing may be true, because I saw some review on Facebook and her response saying that there was some major editing error where it claims that a bunch of gluten-containing recipes are actually gluten free.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

that would explain why it is out of stock on Amazon.ca [I bought the last one] :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:17 pm 

The reprint thing is true - there were some errors made by the editor I think with designation of recipes as being soy-free, gluten-free, etc. All of the recipes were fine - just some of that stuff got scrambled in the final stage...

I think a reprint is coming soon. CAN'T WAIT!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:33 am 
Saggy Butt

I really want to order this buy but I'm going to patiently wait for the re-print, I hope it comes out soon!

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

I can't wait to get this. I didn't know she had a new one coming out. I love her books!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:48 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I've had this since it came out, but I'm just finally getting around to trying the recipes. On Sunday I made the Kale Slaw with Curried Almond Dressing. I thought it was really fresh and delicious. I used jicama instead of fennel, but that's the only substitution I made.

Last night I made the No-Fu Love Loaf. It was really tasty. I served it with some steamed green beans and the scalloped potatoes from Chloe's Kitchen. I'll definitely make it again.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:58 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I love Dreena's recipes, and this book has me excited. But, as with Robin Robertson's recipes, I find that I almost always need to increase the spices, or even add different spices. But Dreena doesn't hide the fact that her recipes are intended to be kid-friendly and fairly mild, and that those with spicier palates may need to increase the spices. I've made:

* Chickpea sweet potato basil tart (delicious!)
* Chickpea pumpkin seed burgers (delicious but I amped the spices waaaay up; I could just tell from looking at the recipe that I would need more - I think the burgers may have been a bit bland if made as written, but they hold together very well)
* Cream carrot miso dip - also delicious, but I boiled the carrots for a bit and used some of the cooking water to soften and thin out the dip. I doubted my blender's ability to make raw carrots and cashews into a creamy dip.
* Pumpkin seed chipotle cream - sooo good and definitely creamy, but again, I found that I had to add quite a bit more chipotle sauce to get the smokiness I wanted.
* Creamy grilled eggplant dip - this didn't work at all for me. Part of the problem may have been that I didn't get enough char on the eggplant. But I also just couldn't get it smooth and creamy. The cashews made it pretty gritty. My search for the perfect baba ghanoush recipe continues.

I made the Mushroom Pecan Burgers Take II but haven't tried them yet - I'll report back! They still seemed a bit soft (she says the biggest issue with the first recipe was that they didn't hold together), but I froze them and plan on throwing one in the cast iron when I get home.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:31 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just ordered this from Amazon in the UK. Yay!

Just to let anyone who doesn't know yet: The new edition was released on May 1st and if you have an old copy, you should be able to exchange it for free. Dreena said so on her blog:
"Any one that currently has a copy of LTEV, if you would like to exchange it for the new printing, you will have that option. You can return it to the place of purchase, as accounts have been made aware and should honor return/replacement requests."
Apparently, 18 recipes got mislabeled with incorrect allergy info (e.g. it says soy free but the recipe is not etc.)

Oh, she is doing a promo now and if you buy a copy before the 6th of May you can get it signed or something. It's only for people in North America though :( If you buy more copies, you get more stuff. It's on her blog here: http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/let-them ... promotion/

Can't wait to get cooking!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:01 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

This book is really appealing to me. What is an average time for cooking the recipes? Does she give estimates? What is your experience? I can rarely spend hours in the kitchen so this is a concern for me. I'm fairly quick in the kitchen, though, so a moderate amount of chopping is no problem. I find myself gravitating towards Appetite for Reduction because the recipes can be made so quickly.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

fruitbat, average cooking times are not given. I am not the quickest in the kitchen, but don't find that they take an inordinate amount of time, in general. Some of the recipes have long ingredient lists, so at first glance it seems like they are more complicated than they actually are.

So far, I've made these, and I'm ranking from most to least favorite:
Artichoke & White Bean Dip. Made this twice. Fantastic. You can use the frozen bag of artichokes they sell at Trader Joe's, even though the bag contains slightly more than the recipe calls for, it comes out great.
Quinoa Nicoise. Even my super vegan phobic husband enjoyed this, and ate leftovers when I wasn't looking. I left out the tomatoes, because I only buy them when they are growing in my garden or from another local source. If I make again, I'll use 1 tsp. of Dijon instead of 1 T. I originally thought this was a typo, but it's not listed in Dreena's errata list, so I don't know - it just was a little too powerful.
Hummus Salad Dressing. Mmmm. I used 1 T. olive oil. It does thicken in the fridge, and doesn't seem to make quite as much as the recipe said, so I'd double it and add a little extra water to compensate for the thickening next time. But I love the flavor.
Mediterranean Bean Burgers. Held together the best of the burger recipes I've tried so far. Definitely include the olives and red pepper if you like those. The olives really add a nice touch.
Cocoa Goji Granola. Never though I'd be eating chocolate cereal again, but this was great. I wish she had more granola recipes.
Truffled Cashew Cheese. Creamy and decadent - this would be great for a party (but I ate it all myself!)
Too Good to be Tofu Burgers. A little delicate, be careful flipping them,but they are tasty.
Lentil Walnut Burgers
Chickpea Pumpkin Burgers. These last two were good, but not sure if I'd make either one again.
I'm avoiding sugar these days, so I haven't tried any of the desserts, but there is an extensive dessert section.
I think fans of ED&BV will enjoy this book.