| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 202  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are we reading now?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:42 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

kallista93 wrote:
Yes, Knut Hamsun is on my list of things I need to read too. I did finish that Fante & it was so good. It was like Of Human Bondage but much better. I loved Of Human Bondage until the end, because Maugham just can't finish a book right. It's like he runs out of space & just tries to wrap it up neat & it's all wrong. But not Fante, his prose is perfection.

Now I'm reading Celine's Death on the Installment Plan. It's like Swann's Way through a cracked funhouse mirror. I don't know if I'd recommend it, but it has me engaged.

Celine is intense!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I read a whole retro bestiary-style compendium of monsters myth and legends: Breverton's Phantasmagoria. Not overwhelming (and it only cites about 7 sources, 4 of which are earlier books by the same author - who seems a bit obsessed with Wales...), but fun to read. And cute old-fashioned illustrations.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:07 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Finished Catching Fire, loved it! Now I'm looking forward to my next free evening to get underway with Mockingjay.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:28 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks! Loving it so far, because it's informative, but flows so well and is fun to read. I'm not a non-fiction person, but this is fascinating.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:23 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Re-reading Norwegian Wood.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:08 pm 

Riding the Bus With My Sister by Rachel Simon. I've owned it for years, but somehow I'm just now reading it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 pm 

Just finished The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Big fantasy book that was very engaging but at the end made me crave Margaret Atwood and fantasy novels with good female characters. So I started Blind Assassin. It's not a science fiction like her other novels but my boss has been telling me it's great. Once I finish it I think I need to reread The Year of the Flood. Though since someone mentioned it, Great Exectations would be great before the series shows on PBS.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:34 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Just finished:
How to Be Good by Nick Hornby: Very insightful, captivating, and surprisingly realistic. Now I want to read his other novels!
Fahrenheit 451. Don't you love it when you actually love a so-called "classic"?

Currently reading:
On the Road. I'm having a hard time getting into this one, honestly. It's almost due back at the library after renewing it once and I'm only 70 pages or so in.
The Hunger Games. I was impressed by the movie and I'm excited to actually read the source material (yes I know I'm bad).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:45 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

ndpittman wrote:
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks! Loving it so far, because it's informative, but flows so well and is fun to read. I'm not a non-fiction person, but this is fascinating.

I'm almost done with this one and really liked it! It came highly recommended by a friend so I'm glad I gave it a chance. I love all the history of tissue culture, having only done TC myself in the 2000s when it's all so established. Lots of respect for biologists from back in the day.

It also made me think a lot about ethics in science. As a scientist, I didn't really see the big deal in working with discarded tissue for the greater good. But it's interesting to get this side and see how the sketchy ethics from those days have shaped policy and law today.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Catalina wrote:
Just finished The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Big fantasy book that was very engaging but at the end made me crave Margaret Atwood and fantasy novels with good female characters. So I started Blind Assassin. It's not a science fiction like her other novels but my boss has been telling me it's great. Once I finish it I think I need to reread The Year of the Flood. Though since someone mentioned it, Great Exectations would be great before the series shows on PBS.

I couldn't finish Blind Asassin, I found it too sad D: Which is odd because its not like Atwood writes the happiest books evar or anything.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:36 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

the lock artist by steve hamilton - i didn't think I liked it but then I found myself unable to put it down.

i have 13 more books from the library to read next, all YA.

I got the hunger games trilogy for kindle for like $4.50 but i have to say that it's not even my favorite dystopian YA read. (my favorite is definitely not the giver, so don't ask) veronica roth's divergent is great as is julia karr's XVI.

ijustdiedinside wrote:
The fault in our stars by John Green. I like it so far, but it's about a teenager with cancer, so I just have to prepare myself for inevitable death.

Loved! I skipped to the end so I'd know what to expect and that way I cried a lot less.

boychucker wrote:
I finished Mockingjay today. Maybe it's just me, but it was a lot harder to get through than the first two books. I finished those in a day or two each and this one took me longer. It's possible I wasn't in as much of a hurry since there was not another book following it, but I think it could also be that
Spoiler: show
it was the most brutal of the three books, at least to me.

also to me it's like they were
Spoiler: show
like WHOA, big problem! and then it sort of resolved and they lived meh ever after.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Pi_Face wrote:

Are you going to see the movie too? NW is my favorite Murakami novel and I don't know how I feel about it being adapted to film.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Distrust that particular Flavour - Nonfiction by William Gibson, mostly about the internet.
Got this as a belated birthday present from one of my best friends.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:22 am 
Tofu Pup

I just finished reading Alicia My Story by Alicia Appleman and now I'm starting reading Becoming new person.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just read Howl's Moving Castle. I love the movie version, and just found out the author (Diana Wynne Jones) of the book that was adapted into the film wrote my favorite childhood book: The Chrestomanci Quartet. Even though most of her books are located in the kid's section at my local library, I took home at least seven. A couple take place with the same characters from Chrestomanci Quartet. I've missed them! It's been 10 years or so! They're all fantasy books about magic and parallel words, and are quick reads.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:54 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

birdsonawire wrote:
Pi_Face wrote:

Are you going to see the movie too? NW is my favorite Murakami novel and I don't know how I feel about it being adapted to film.

The film came out in 2010. I still haven't seen it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The Last Nude by Avery Ellis - I just finished it. It's about Tamara de Lempicka and one of her models, Rafaela. Besides giving you a taste of Paris in the 1920's, it also gives you two very compelling female characters. It's erotic, compelling and filled with questions about art, beauty, and both as a commodities.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:38 am 
Baking In The Flavor

alice1drland, Celine IS intense, I'm kind of obsessed now. I got a bio of him but I'm taking a break to read some Proust. Proust makes everything better. Within a Budding Grove (bk 2 of In Search of Lost Time) is what I started today. So far I prefer this one to Swann's Way because i relate to the narrator more in it, especially his relationship to his father.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:47 am 

I've actually never read Proust, but he's on my list of authors to investigate (one of many, of course).

Finished Hunger and enjoyed it immensely. Made me think of many Russian authors I adore, due to its frantic, stream-of-consciousness style.

Now on to a huge book of Steinbeck short stories. TAKE THAT, KINDLE. Yes, I AM taking a dictionary-sized book with me on the subway. And I LIKE it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Just finished reading Motel Life by Willy Vlautin (of Richmond Fontaine). Is there no end to this guy's talents? I think I actually love him a bit.

Just started The Cry of the Sloth by Sam Savage. Good so far.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:28 am 

Finished This Beautiful Life. I still don't recommend it. The characters were flat and unlikeable and the ending seemed rather abrupt, almost like she was tired of writing the book, so decided to wrap it up. I started What You Have Left by Will Allison this morning.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Finished the Gibson, and it was so much better than expected. Even though he keeps insisting that nonfiction is not his usual mode, nothing he learned to do, I might even prefer this to some of his fiction.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished One Day in September. It was fascinating but a little depressing (reading how the cycle of violence played out over and over). The only thing I didn't like was the kinda preachy bit at the end that updated as of 9/11. I was with his message, but I could've done without it.

I've now moved on to The Hunger Games, and I really like it so far.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:11 pm 

Shy Mox wrote:
Catalina wrote:

I couldn't finish Blind Asassin, I found it too sad D: Which is odd because its not like Atwood writes the happiest books evar or anything.

If I wasn't so determined I would have done this. It just gets more upsetting.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:13 am 

I finished Riding the Bus With My Sister this morning and am starting Drowning Ruth. My current choices are dictated by randomly picking up books that my momma gave me when she was finished with them.

Reply to topic  [ 5026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 202  Next