| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:34 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Can anyone who's had the copper IUD for more than a year comment on how their flow is currently? Does it generally lighten up after a while? The cramping is not an issue for me but I guess I'd like to know if that changes as well (in general of course-I understand every body is different).
Also, what do you all use to deal with the heavy flow? I have been using natural disposable pads but have been going through 3 a day, sometimes more. The doc said I shouldn't use a diva cup anymore because the suction can yank out the IUD (yikes!). Does anyone use a sea sponge with success?

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:01 pm 
Married to the wolfman

vijita wrote:
I spotted after sex too at first. You are lucky that you are not gushing for a full month following insertion like I did!

I've been gushing non-stop since then. I guess that short reprieve was just a fluke!

The period-like backache is gone though (yay) and while I've had one or two more incidents of noticeable cramping, it's mostly gone.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:03 pm 
Chard Martyr

coldandsleepy wrote:
vijita wrote:
I spotted after sex too at first. You are lucky that you are not gushing for a full month following insertion like I did!

I've been gushing non-stop since then. I guess that short reprieve was just a fluke!

The period-like backache is gone though (yay) and while I've had one or two more incidents of noticeable cramping, it's mostly gone.

Oh that's not so bad then. It'll subside! <3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:10 pm 
Chard Martyr

sarahnorine wrote:
Can anyone who's had the copper IUD for more than a year comment on how their flow is currently? Does it generally lighten up after a while? The cramping is not an issue for me but I guess I'd like to know if that changes as well (in general of course-I understand every body is different).
Also, what do you all use to deal with the heavy flow? I have been using natural disposable pads but have been going through 3 a day, sometimes more. The doc said I shouldn't use a diva cup anymore because the suction can yank out the IUD (yikes!). Does anyone use a sea sponge with success?

Yes, it absolutely lightened up for me! After two years, it was back to my regular flow. Which is heavy on one day and light on the other two or three. A massive change from the insane bleeding I had in the first few months with the copper IUD.

I used my diva cup with the IUD at first, but I experienced the fascinating enigma that is IUD + Diva suction problems. My diva cup just started leaking when I got my IUD, and it had nothing to do with the flow. My doctor wasn't worried about me using a cup, but I eventually just switched to cloth pads, and I'm happy with that despite the slight work inconvenience. I use natural tampons occasionally when necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:38 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

sarahnorine wrote:

My mother's never did after over 20 years. If it's out of control (> 80 ml a month) and disrupting your life, there are options though.

Old study on the use of vitamin E: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6134690
Tranexamic acid: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17712656
NSAIDs: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17054271

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:30 pm 
Hail Seitan!

I've had my iud (paraguard) for almost a year now, about 11 months, and its still pretty heavy but I've had a long, heavy flow since I was 11, so its pretty normal for me now. I feel like I have a few amazingly heavy periods between months 3 and 7 or so, but not every one was so heavy. The first couple right after I got mine were strangely light, as were one or two around the 6 month mark. Now it seems pretty regular.

I've been using a diva cup since I was 16, and after almost a decade I have zero interest in stopping, so I've been sticking with the iud/cup combo. My dr had no concerns about it. I've always had one or two nights at the beginning of my period where I can't make it through the night without gushing all over (happens with every single kind of menstrual product though) , and that was particularly true for a while there, so I use a cloth pad along with my cup some nights. and some days if I'm feeling particularly bleedy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:16 pm 
Married to the wolfman

electric_claire wrote:
I've been using a diva cup since I was 16, and after almost a decade I have zero interest in stopping, so I've been sticking with the iud/cup combo. My dr had no concerns about it. I've always had one or two nights at the beginning of my period where I can't make it through the night without gushing all over (happens with every single kind of menstrual product though) , and that was particularly true for a while there, so I use a cloth pad along with my cup some nights. and some days if I'm feeling particularly bleedy.

Oh cool! I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience with it... I would really really like to keep using my diva cup. My period was about as you describe above pre-IUD, the first day or two of my period my cup almost always overflows at some point anyway so I tend to wear backup during that stretch anyhow.

My bleeding seemed to totally stop for a couple hours this morning, but it's back. My uterus apparently doesn't know what the hell is going on!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

coldandsleepy wrote:
The cramping, on the other hand, is bad. I would say it's on par with early labor.

Oh hell no. I am not willing to go there. We have just (16 months post-baby) reached the point where we are having enough sex that we are getting sick of condoms. We really hate condoms. I don't want to go on hormonal bc for a variety of reasons, and FAM is tricky now because I'm breast feeding and not getting 4 consecutive hours of sleep ever. If I could just decide that I don't want any more kids the husband would happily get a vasectomy, but I'm not sure yet. How about a lame combination of pull-out method and hashbrowns?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:04 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

mittenmacher wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
The cramping, on the other hand, is bad. I would say it's on par with early labor.

Oh hell no. I am not willing to go there. We have just (16 months post-baby) reached the point where we are having enough sex that we are getting sick of condoms. We really hate condoms. I don't want to go on hormonal bc for a variety of reasons, and FAM is tricky now because I'm breast feeding and not getting 4 consecutive hours of sleep ever. If I could just decide that I don't want any more kids the husband would happily get a vasectomy, but I'm not sure yet. How about a lame combination of pull-out method and hashbrowns?

Mittenmacher, everyone's experience is different! Pre-Paragard, I always had 1 day of pre-menstrual cramps that literally made me fall over in pain. After getting my IUD, my cramps stretched out to 3 days but are SO MUCH LESS PAINFUL that I don't even need ibuprofen or anything. It's more like "oh, yeah, my abdomen's tight. My period must be coming." Different bodies react in different ways. I know my experience isn't totally normal, but C&S's isn't either!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

sarahnorine wrote:

Wow, that's funny. I asked my gyn and she said menstrual cups were fine as long as you don't grab the string and pull on it when you remove the cup. I always insert a finger to equalize the pressure as I pull out the cup so suction has not been an issue for me!

I've had my copper IUD for 6 months now and my flow seems heavier every month! Also I've been getting terrrrrrrrible cramping 2 days before I start bleeding and then cramping for the rest of the week. It really sucks. I hope I'm not destroying my liver with all the advil I'm taking....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:47 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Just my 2 cents, my gyno said menstrual cups are fine with an IUD. It's not that easy to get those things out, just don't pull hard on the strings. I would always squeeze the cup before pulling it out to release the suction.

Update on the Mirena: this is the second regularish period I've had on it (it was inserted on February 4th) but I get plenty of spotting. The period is not heavy at all and only lasts a day or so. Considering what I had before - extremely heavy bleeding and seven days twice a month - I'm good with this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:06 pm 
Married to the wolfman

mittenmacher wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

That's pretty much how I ended up with a second baby! Just sayin'.

About the cramping: it was awful but only lasted a day or two. The gushing stopped too. All quiet on the uterine front for many days now. Worth going through for no babies at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:16 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Yeah, the cramping is different for everyone. Getting it inserted was no big deal for me - I just took three aspirin before going in, took some deep breaths, and it was all good.
I did have some cramping on the first day of my periods with paraguard (and I never had cramps or PMS symptoms before it), but it was never anything that aspirin couldn't fix.
Granted, it is going to be different for everyone, but I wouldn't let the idea of cramping deter you. It's a great birth control method. I used it with my keeper/mooncup for two years without a problem. I would definitely choose it again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:30 am 
Chard Martyr

Echoing everyone else. The cramping seems to vary hugely for everyone! And remember, the people who have the worst cramping (such as myself, sorry!) are going to be the ones that bisque about it on the internet, so you'll always hear more bad stories than good ones.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:41 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

It's been said a million times before, but it takes two to play chess, so why do I have to deal with all the discomfort of birth control? Why can't my husband have the horrible cramps and the spotting and the blood gushing out of his genitals after sex? No fair!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

sarahnorine wrote:

My period is still much longer and heavier than it was pre-IUD, and I've had mine for about three years now. I actually use a divacup, and my GYN said it was fine. The IUD is shaped like a T, so it isn't likely to get yoinked out with just an itty bit of suction...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's been a good run, and I'm getting my IUD out today. I do plan on carrying it home (in my purse) if permitted.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:17 pm 
Chard Martyr

Good luck Jess! You've grown up so much (purse versus backpack).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:52 pm 
Married to the wolfman

mittenmacher wrote:
It's been said a million times before, but it takes two to play chess, so why do I have to deal with all the discomfort of birth control? Why can't my husband have the horrible cramps and the spotting and the blood gushing out of his genitals after sex? No fair!

I know. Blood should have to shoot out of them somewhere at some point.

Speaking of which, we've played chess several times since and no more blood gushing or even spotting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:59 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm going to ask a childish question because I'm considering getting one - do you think having a partner with a few penis piercings would be problematic?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:07 pm 
protein lump

vijita wrote:
Good luck Jess! You've grown up so much (purse versus backpack).

ha! jess is the pioneer of ppk IUDs. this is a momentous day!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:14 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

kallista93 wrote:
Just my 2 cents, my gyno said menstrual cups are fine with an IUD. It's not that easy to get those things out, just don't pull hard on the strings. I would always squeeze the cup before pulling it out to release the suction.

Update on the Mirena: this is the second regularish period I've had on it (it was inserted on February 4th) but I get plenty of spotting. The period is not heavy at all and only lasts a day or so. Considering what I had before - extremely heavy bleeding and seven days twice a month - I'm good with this.

Dammit! Love my cup and I threw it out. It was about time I got a new one though so I will do this.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Removal update: IT HURT MORE THAN I ANTICIPATED. Ow. I'm still a bit crampy, three days later. : (

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:18 pm 
protein lump

why do you tell me these things?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:27 pm 
Chard Martyr

esme wrote:
why do you tell me these things?

YES, WHY?!

Signed,
Expired IUD still in my body.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 28  Next