| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Refuge Cafe- Allston
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

What is going on with you??? They're supposed to have 2 flavors of vegan ice cream (vanilla and pumpkin) along with vegan donuts. My friend and I went there and they told us they were out of vegan donuts that day but sell them every day so to come back. My friend and I went back today and asked about the vegan donuts and the girl at the counter, who I swear was there the first time and was talking to us along with the other woman, didn't seem to have any idea what was going on. It was weird. We asked if they were out again and if we should try coming earlier. She said she doesn't think they sell them any more and that the vegan chef may have kind of quit but she's not sure so she doesn't know anything. What???

I JUST WANT VEGAN DONUTS!

Post subject: Re: Refuge Cafe- Allston
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We went there the other day with similar results. I went when they first opened and was super disappointed when there was nothing vegan even though they had claimed vegan friendliness. I gave them a second shot last week and was told they usually had stuff but not that day. I'd lived around there up until a few years ago and was sad to see Herrell's, then Allston Cafe go, and now I'm extra sad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

Agreed! It also really bothered me that they don't seem to have any idea what's going on at their own cafe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:06 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Yeah, I've had similar experiences. The boy and I were huge Herrel's fans, and this doesn't come close to filling the void. We also visited soon after they opened, and was annoyed to see nothing vegan-friendly although they had claimed there would be. We gave it another shot a month or so ago - we got vegan breakfast burritos and coffee. The burritos were alright, but smaller than I expected. And nothing in comparison to the vegan bfast burrito at Otherside... mmm. My iced coffee was fine, but, I mean, I hope they can't mess up on coffee. I wanted to check out their vegan baked goods but the muffins looked really dry when I was there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:28 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

From their facebook today:

Quote:
Vegans rejoice! We are now serving a vegan Caesar chickn wrap!! It's a vegan chickn party, romaine lettuce, diced red bell peppers and a homemade vegan Caesar dressing in a pita. Come stop by today and we'll make one.fresh for youuuuuuu!!

im pretty sure by party they meant patty, but whateves! Vegan caesar wrap! Someone go get one!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

The problem is that they say they have "insert vegan food here" but when you get there, they don't have it. When you question them about it, they get all sketchy on you. I'm also wondering how they managed to make this wrap, especially homemade vegan Caesar dressing when we were told that the vegan cook quit and that there weren't any vegans working there anymore so they're not serving anything vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:40 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Mr. Shankly wrote:
The problem is that they say they have "insert vegan food here" but when you get there, they don't have it. When you question them about it, they get all sketchy on you. I'm also wondering how they managed to make this wrap, especially homemade vegan Caesar dressing when we were told that the vegan cook quit and that there weren't any vegans working there anymore so they're not serving anything vegan.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That does seem pretty sketchy.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:38 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

It was their vegan baker that quit. They didn't have a specific vegan chef other than that.