| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Triumphs over anxiety!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:08 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

After years of futzing around with medications and dosages, I finally have my anxiety mostly under control! I still have awful moments, but I can do spontaneous things like go see a movie without freaking out, and I CAN DRIVE ON THE FREEWAY NOW!!! I could never do that before, and I always tried to excuse it as being something I didn't want to do, when really it just made me so. forking. anxious. So now what used to be an hour plus commute home only takes me 30 minutes!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:43 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

For some reason, going to the post office gives me anxiety. Something about there being like 831712308 steps in the process of mailing things, and if I mess any of them up, the thing I'm mailing won't get delivered...combined with the fact that I don't do it often enough that I've gotten used to the process? I'm trying to get more comfortable with it though, now that I'm selling crocheted stuff and people are buying it through the mail. So I mailed out a bunch of stuff today, and it was fine and I am triumphant. For a little while, I was convinced that I had accidentally stuck my roll of tape in one of the packages and mailed it off, but by the time I found the roll of tape which had just fallen out in my car, I was disappointed because I had realized how hilarious it would have been for the person to open that package and find a bunch of gifts and...a half-used roll of tape.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't had a major panic attack since 2009.

Actually, every day at my internship is a triumph. Years ago I had social anxiety so bad that I couldn't even get a job. My first year of college I was trying to convince my mom to let me move out of the dorm and commute to school. 5 years later, I've been at an internship where I've had to meet all sorts of people every day, and it doesn't phase me one bit. I'm up in front of the room leading classes, and I'm doing it with personality and finesse. And I love it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:57 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I went to the dentist for a cleaning today, had civilized conversation with her before and after, and did not cry, shriek, clench my fists, interrupt her, or anything else. I sat still and concentrated on my breathing and on relaxing my shoulders while Paul Simon talked me through it. In college if you had told me that one day I would go to the dentist and survive, I would have called you a big fat liar.
i love my dentist.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:46 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Beta blockers (propranolol) have made a huge difference for me. I don't feel anxious, don't get physical symptoms of anxiety, and am not so irritable and impatient all the time anymore. I'm like 5% of the crasshole I used to be.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:02 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

This might not be clearly construed as a triumph, but I finally filled and started taking the cipralex prescription I was given last May. I was sitting on it for so long because I was "proud" of myself for coming off wellbutrin (after many years on that) and not climbing up the walls, and because I felt like I was over depression and "just" had (horrible) anxiety to deal with, but it was such a good decision to start it. I know they say nothing happens for months, but I've always felt results immediately. There are some weird/annoying side effects, as usual when starting a new med, but I already wake up feeling so much more in control of my thoughts, and some really mundane things that would freak me out so much just last week I'm thinking about much more calmly. And I'm actually getting work done, rather than sitting at my desk procrastinating and letting the racing "you are so doomed" thoughts get the better of me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:27 pm 
Grandfathered In

Good!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:47 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I had been feeling really down, mostly due to the winter weather in PDX and some chronic foot problems affecting my work. I got a killer deal on a Maui vacation and went last week BY MY SELF (sans husband...he was awesome and took care of our 4 cats/1 dog and worked). Not only did I have a great time but it put me in all kinds of situations where I triumphed over my anxiety. My proudest moment was renting some snorkel gear and snorkeling around a huge black rock out in the ocean. I'm afraid of fish and deep ocean water so I was really proud of myself. It was beautiful and a moment I would not have had if I hadn't fought hard against my natural inclination to not go near the water.
Good job everyone!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:01 pm 
Grandfathered In

Well done!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:21 pm 

BossyLhassi wrote:
I had been feeling really down, mostly due to the winter weather in PDX and some chronic foot problems affecting my work. I got a killer deal on a Maui vacation and went last week BY MY SELF (sans husband...he was awesome and took care of our 4 cats/1 dog and worked). Not only did I have a great time but it put me in all kinds of situations where I triumphed over my anxiety. My proudest moment was renting some snorkel gear and snorkeling around a huge black rock out in the ocean. I'm afraid of fish and deep ocean water so I was really proud of myself. It was beautiful and a moment I would not have had if I hadn't fought hard against my natural inclination to not go near the water.
Good job everyone!!

Inspiring!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:09 pm 
And you never will.

Our A/C isn't working (no big deal right now, but we want it fixed before the temp hits 90+), so my husband sent an email to the property management company about it. Instead of giving the A/C contractor my husband's number, they gave them my cell number, so they called my phone and left a message to ask when they could come by to check it out. I have always had major phone anxiety, but instead of sending the phone number to my husband so he could call them, I called them back myself! And set up a time for them to come over! On the phone! I feel like a grown-up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:57 pm 
Grandfathered In

You did great.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

I think I need to go see a doctor. Thinking about doing it is almost painful.

------------------------------
OkC | Google+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:03 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

poopiebitch wrote:
Our A/C isn't working (no big deal right now, but we want it fixed before the temp hits 90+), so my husband sent an email to the property management company about it. Instead of giving the A/C contractor my husband's number, they gave them my cell number, so they called my phone and left a message to ask when they could come by to check it out. I have always had major phone anxiety, but instead of sending the phone number to my husband so he could call them, I called them back myself! And set up a time for them to come over! On the phone! I feel like a grown-up.

Excellent! Phones are really difficult for me too.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:00 pm 

Phones are horrible! Good job, poopie!

I have a second interview on Tuesday, and I'm determined to hold strong. The most embarrassing thing I do is revert into a teenaged girl's fast chatter with "like, I mean, y'know" everywhere. It's awful, because when I'm calm, I can actually be reasonably articulate. So of course, I spend hours and hours imagining and dreaming about the ridiculous things I am going to say, and when I finally get to the interview, my mouth has dried up so much I can barely speak.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made it to a doctor, and had what one might call a forking meltdown. my anxiety isnt new but it has been interfering with my life way too much recently. I read through this thread again last night to psych myself up. Thanks for motivating me to get some help. I got prescribed a snri and some appointments with a government funded psychologist.

OkC | Google+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:55 am 
Grandfathered In

Good on ya.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Downtown always scared me and I rarely went, on account of sketchy folk, drunk folk in the evening, and pan handlers (they don't scare me, I just feel guilty for not having change to spare). But I spent hours down there by myself as my friends were running horribly late, like a boss. Even went into a cafe and sat by myself and read and didn't get too psyched out by the feeling that everyone else is staring at me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:59 am 
And you never will.

Well done! I have a hard time going anywhere alone (even the grocery store), so I'm proud of you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:48 am 

Congrats Shy Mox!

I rocked my interview! I think. I hope. Anyway, I didn't say anything stupid and I was very careful to not slip into "like" and "y'know" and "I mean". I was only shaking when I was standing around waiting for the interviewer (worst time ever), and I think I came across as confident in the room. I should hear by Friday.

The prospect of starting a new job is terrifying but it always is. Little steps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:43 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I won a prize off a local store's fb page, and I had to go in there and talk to someone to pick it up. I felt especially nervous because even though I normally buy from them, there was nothing I needed to purchase today (so I felt bad coming in just for my prize). The girl behind the counter was really nice though, and I got through a good conversation without freaking out! Whew!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:24 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I went to a birthday party at a bar last night for my business partner- it meant a lot to her that I go, even though I really didn't want to. As I feared, I got there and knew only the birthday lady, and when she introduced me to the 12+ group, I swear, I heard crickets. I sat down and (typical of where we live, where people are famous for being cold and unfriendly) not one person said hi, made small talk, or even looked in my direction. I busied myself with the menu and wondered how quickly I could take off without making a scene.
Before I could order my drink, people I knew (to my surprise) began to arrive, and I ended up having a good time and even making some business connections. I had a good time. I was amazed. This is the first party of this type I've been to in years. I'm glad I made myself go.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:28 pm 

Yay! That's awesome, torque!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I actually asked my friend if they wanted to go grab coffee instead of waiting for them to ask me.
I am trying really really hard to put myself out there friend-wise after I heard from multiple sources that they were worried I was just being polite by being their friend since I never initiated.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:11 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I tend to get overwhelmed in crowds and usually bail after an hour or less, unless I have someone with me who is supportive. I went to the TX Veg Fest yesterday by myself and while I did start to feel anxious at times, I managed to stay for almost 3 hours. That's huge for me. When I started to feel anxious/panicky I would go off and find a quiet, shady corner to sit in which helped me calm down. i think part of the anxiety stems not just from crowds but a kind of sensory overload - there was a lot going on!

bird noises | book of faces

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next