| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Wexare having a bit of a hotel related diaper disaster resulting in my trying to hand wash (and failing) the diapers in the sink and bathtub. He is in his last clean diaper and my husband has the car. He is supposed to be back soon. I sure hope so!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Originally we planned to wash the diapers at the hotel (we are in Roswell). I brought some detergent, but it turns out the detergent I bought was just for hand washing in the sink and only enough to wash like three items of clothes! I had a bunch of wet diapers that weren't getting clean. So my husband went to get some disposables. I went and got some detergent from Walmart (hope it is okay, I got Tide Free, they didn't have a lot of options). I looked in the hotel info book to get info about where the laundry machine was - the info says it is laundry service only and the hours are already over. I call the front desk to see if there is a laundry machine. She says yes, on the first floor (where we are) by the front desk. I go to the front desk to see the laundry machine, turns out she thought I said vending machine! She says the laundry machine is on the second floor. I go up to the laundry machine on the second floor - guess what! It was out of order! Anyway, the lady was so nice and is letting me do laundry in the housekeeping machine. Thank goodness or we would be driving back with some stinky, moldy diapers tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh no kimba! That sucks!

It looks like Tide Free is okay: http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:36 am 
Inflexitarian

Does anyone have a homemade wipes spray recipe that they like to use for cloth wipes? We've been using California Baby diaper area wash which I love but it's getting really pricey and Im looking for a homemade alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:39 am 
Married to the wolfman

We used Tide Free for a long time with no issues. Sorry about your hotel drama!

I switched to using cloth wipes a while back because even unscented sensitive skin wipes seem to bother the Magician's butt. I just use plain water with them, which seems to work well. I've definitely heard of putting in some tea tree oil for its antibacterial properties but have no idea what ratio you'd add it in.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:43 am 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:
Oh no kimba! That sucks!

It looks like Tide Free is okay: http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Thanks for posting this. We've been using rockin green but just like the wipe spray we're looking for cheaper more readily available solutions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:58 am 
Semen Strong

Just fyi, if you are looking to use a different detergent make sure it works with your covers. My friend got a homemade recipe that is great with prefolds but it destroyed the elastic in her covers...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GuineaPig wrote:
Does anyone have a homemade wipes spray recipe that they like to use for cloth wipes? We've been using California Baby diaper area wash which I love but it's getting really pricey and Im looking for a homemade alternative.

I use a spray bottle full of water with a squirt of Dr. Bronner's soap (Lavender), a drop of tea tree oil, and a little vitamin E oil. But it would be just as good just with the squirt of soap and nothing else. Easy peasy!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:47 pm 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:
Just fyi, if you are looking to use a different detergent make sure it works with your covers. My friend got a homemade recipe that is great with prefolds but it destroyed the elastic in her covers...

We use 95% pockets and just have a couple, literally a couple, pre-folds and covers that we use as back ups when she has blow out days. We definitely won't go the homemade route on detergent but hopefully we can find a good homemade recipe for wipes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:48 pm 
Inflexitarian

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
GuineaPig wrote:

I use a spray bottle full of water with a squirt of Dr. Bronner's soap (Lavender), a drop of tea tree oil, and a little vitamin E oil. But it would be just as good just with the squirt of soap and nothing else. Easy peasy!!

Sounds fantastic and super economical! Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

I just had to share...I got an AWESOME deal at Go Go Natural on discontinued BumGenius 4.0. I bought 6 diapers at $14.36 a piece with FREE SHIPPING ($75 purchase)!!!! They have excellent customer service and great deals! In my order, I just received a free coupon (which I'm not using) for a free one size cloth diaper with $30 purchase with code MARAPR. You can get 10% off using codes: NEWSLETTER12 OR TheBump. Here's the link to the discontinued BumGenius 4.0 (both velcro and snap variety):

http://www.gogonatural.com/search.php

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:18 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

GuineaPig, I lovelovelove the homemade wipe spray recipe. I can’t remember where I found it, but it is awesome.
I fill a squirt bottle with about 1.5 cups of filtered water, add 3 drops of tea tree oil, 3 drops of chamomile oil, 3 drops of lavender, and about 15 drops of Vitamin E oil. When the lady at the health food store asked me what I was buying all of that for, i told her and she said “well, he’s going to be the calmest baby ever!” And he totally is. We’ve been using it since he was born and he’s 13 months old now and has only had mild diaper rash a couple of times, I think it has a lot to do with the spray.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:19 pm 
Inflexitarian

Oh my goodness between TCC and Brokenbox recipes I'm in heaven. I think I'm going to combine the two. Guineapiglet's bum is going to smell amazing - I can't believe I just commented on the smell of someone's bum. I guess since its a baby it's ok...right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:32 pm 
Semen Strong

Hahaha! It totally is! Those recipes sound great! And even without magic spray, L's poop smells like vanilla pudding, so I'm always commenting on the smell of poop!

Does anyone find that One Size Fuzzibunz are too small? We are on the biggest settings for the back and the next to largest with the legs and she barely fits in them any more. And she isn't nearly the 35lbs that they say the diaps should fit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:43 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Tofulish wrote:
Hahaha! It totally is! Those recipes sound great! And even without magic spray, L's poop smells like vanilla pudding, so I'm always commenting on the smell of poop!

Does anyone find that One Size Fuzzibunz are too small? We are on the biggest settings for the back and the next to largest with the legs and she barely fits in them any more. And she isn't nearly the 35lbs that they say the diaps should fit.

They're not *too* small for us, but I have consistently set the elastic to larger levels than the chart indicates. Oddly, she still fits fine in the small sized FBs.. The flip side of this, I guess, is that they were the first one sizes she fit in at all..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:07 pm 
Inflexitarian

I'm loving my new wipes spray! I combined the two suggestions and added my own little twist by using a drop of Dr. Bronner's unscented baby, 3 drops tea tree oil, 3 drops lavender oil, and a few drops of jojoba oil. I'm still playing around with it but I love the scent so far. I wanted to add chamomile but it was $30 an ounce so that planned was nixed.

I'm also going to try out Borax on my diapers tomorrow. It's only $3 a box, Rockin green runs over $15 a bag so we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:26 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I like country save powdered detergent for diapers. It seems to get the diapers smelling clean, and it's about as cheap as "natural" laundry detergents get. Been using it for 15 months on cloth diapers (prefolds & covers plus a few AIOs).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:34 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

This isn't really a homemade wipes solution, but I buy the Kissaluv's Diaper Lotion Potion and just dilute it a LOT in the water (like 1 tsp to 16 oz water?). It still works great and we still have 1/3 a bottle left after using it for 12 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:37 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

What are your favorite cloth wipes?

Our current stash is just a bunch of double-thick flannel (essentially two fabric scraps surged together), but they're four years old (!!!) and starting to wear out. We'll definitely need new wipes before the baby comes, but in the meantime, I also like to use cloth myself. It's much kinder to my sore pregnant self (*cough*hemorrhoids*cough*) than toilet paper. So I'm thinking soft and durable. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:49 pm 
Naked Under Apron

yeah I'm interested in cloth wipe recommendations too! there were like a million different kinds on etsy and I got overwhelmed. Definitely gonna go the "family cloth" route here too because I'm peeing a million times a day and using tons of tp. I even saw one etsy seller who makes cloth wipes the same size as regular toilet paper and has them snapped together to go on a regular toilet roll, same for paper towels, and while they were much more expensive than just a stack of wipes, I'm intrigued.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:54 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

We have the Charlie Banana organic cotton wipes (Amazon sells 2-packs of 10 each). I really like them. I have some from Charlie Banana that are og cotton/fleece and I used those postpartum (and folded and laid them in my underwear as pads) but we don't really use them for the baby.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:32 pm 
Inflexitarian

We use the Baby Kicks wipes, they're part hemp and part cotton. We absolutely love them. They double as great mini-burp clothes and general kick major butt on all other messes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:34 pm 
Inflexitarian

Audrey wrote:
yeah I'm interested in cloth wipe recommendations too! there were like a million different kinds on etsy and I got overwhelmed. Definitely gonna go the "family cloth" route here too because I'm peeing a million times a day and using tons of tp. I even saw one etsy seller who makes cloth wipes the same size as regular toilet paper and has them snapped together to go on a regular toilet roll, same for paper towels, and while they were much more expensive than just a stack of wipes, I'm intrigued.

I'm intrigued as well. Heck, we're already doing the laundry. What's a couple more wipes thrown in. Do you happen to have the link?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:44 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Someone earlier on this thread recommended the Cloth-eez Two-Sided Wipes from GMD, so that's what I was planning to order. Pack of 12 for $10.95 (plus shipping). Those babykicks wipes GuineaPig likes are 10 for $15.95. The Charlie Banana wipes Mandycoot likes are 10 for $17.99.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:51 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I use the Birdseye cotton wipes. They are 12 for 9.95. I don't use them for anything rather than baby butt wiping. They are easy to handwash and dry super quick because they are thin. These wipes are not super soft and cushy. They have a little texture that makes cleanup quick. I keep them in a wipes warmer already wet.

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/other.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 53  Next