| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:58 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I am still at my 30lbs loss. I feel so much better already, though. I need to sort out my eating because during the week I am ok but at weekends I tend to drink a lot and then eat nothing, so I lose a lot of water weight and then put it back on. Quitting drinking for a few weeks to help save money and I am hoping this will give me the extra boost!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:06 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I have finally turned some kind of corner.

Not a change in weight, because that !(%)* $ is still where it was in December.
More a change in attitude, i think. I am resigned.

I did the full Couch to 5K. These days I run between 5 and 8k 5 times a week, or I do speed work and run maybe 4k.
I am eating less, because of my schedule with running I have to skip lunch. I cut out white rice and most white flour. I stopped drinking coffee (because of the sugar) except for on Sundays. We already stopped eating fried food in January and I did Eat to Live for about 3 months.

The scale has not. frigging. budged.

The good news, I think, is that things are moving around on my body. I know my legs are different, but I am now able to wear a few bras that were too small before, and even stole a few of my kid's T shirts this week. I still have a gut, but I trust it's on the way out.
(and let's be clear- I am by no means anywhere close to being underweight.)

So, yay, I guess?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:15 am 

I think the way you feel in your body is more important than the number on the scale. I definitely can feel and see changes in myself that make me so much happier and feel so much more confident than any number can!

Also, you should try not to skip lunch! I find that the more I eat (of healthy, whole foods) the more weight I lose. I don't really know why, if it boosts my metabolism or something but it really is true.

I started the couch to 5k plan last night and it almost killed me. On the first day! Please tell me it gets easier!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My first post in the thread!

I did Eat to Live a few years back and had some temporary success with it, but then a lot of stuff started happening in my personal life and I gained a lot back. I think that ETL is fantastic, but it was too rigid for me.

I have been working out since right around Christmas, and was just focusing on making the gym a part of my daily routine (when I haven't been sick) and enjoying it without focusing on weight loss. I'm at the point where the gym is not enough, and I want to feel healthier than I do.

I know that some of the ways that Kathy Freston chooses to market her books are annoying or obnoxious, but I thought that I'd try The Lean, where you either add a good new habit or replace an old one for 30 days and then work to maintain those things. Since I already don't eat animal products, some of the steps will be easy for me - but I think that a lot of the other ones will help me to get back on track with eating healthier in a way that seems less rigid to me.

So today is my Day 1 of The Lean - Today, all I have to do is make sure to drink my 64oz of water. I had 1 cup right when I woke up, and another just before I left the house. Not tough at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:41 am 
Ninja Master

Sarah-Jane wrote:
I started the couch to 5k plan last night and it almost killed me. On the first day! Please tell me it gets easier!

It does! At first a minute of running was hell for me. After a while, 10 minutes flies by, then 15....

I'm restarting C25K, but not right from the beginning prob from week 3 or 4, to ease my hip back in. Gonna try and go tonight to the gym and see how I do.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:50 am 

baps wrote:
Sarah-Jane wrote:

It does! At first a minute of running was hell for me. After a while, 10 minutes flies by, then 15....

I'm restarting C25K, but not right from the beginning prob from week 3 or 4, to ease my hip back in. Gonna try and go tonight to the gym and see how I do.

Thank god! I am an active person but I have never done outdoor running before and it is so difficult. I have so much more respect for people who can actually run for long distances!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:54 am 
Ninja Master

Me too. I had never run and it absolutely killed me. I actually think the worst ones are the early ones, because I couldn't figure out how to breathe for 3 minutes! hahaha. After a while, it was still hard but it seemed easier to add a few more minutes in.

I'm a proper slow runner though. The programme is designed to have you running 5k in 30 minutes by the end, it takes me 40!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:58 am 

Running 5k in 40 minutes is impressive!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Sarah-Jane wrote:

Before you know it you will be running 30min straight and laughing when you read your old posts where you're shocked that you could run 5 min in a row. Frealz!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:11 am 

torque wrote:
Sarah-Jane wrote:

Before you know it you will be running 30min straight and laughing when you read your old posts where you're shocked that you could run 5 min in a row. Frealz!

This is why I want to keep going! I feel much more inspired now, thanks guys!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:14 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just realized I haven't checked in here in a long time! I hope everyone is doing well. I am at my prepregnancy weight, which feels good. I still want to lose 20-30 more pounds. Here we go!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:27 am 

littlebear wrote:
I just realized I haven't checked in here in a long time! I hope everyone is doing well. I am at my prepregnancy weight, which feels good. I still want to lose 20-30 more pounds. Here we go!

Congrats on getting to your pre-pregnancy weight, that must feel so good!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:25 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Congrats, littlebear! That's a huge accomplishment!

torque, I'm with SJ. How you feel and what you can do are much more important than the number on the scale, or at least that's what I'm telling myself. I know for me, I can get hung up on numbers and focus solely on that rather than what I can do now, how much better I'm eating, etc.

Good luck, Nicole! I really like Kathy Freston, so I may have to pick up this book. For me, sometimes doing one thing at a time is the only way I can do things because if I'm trying to change too much, I end up getting overwhelmed and going back to my old ways. I've also done ETL on and off, though never exactly how its written. My problem with it is that when I read message boards for inspiration, they trigger something in me and some of them seem very pro-ED. It's probably all in my head, though.

SJ, we can be C25K buddies if you want. I started yesterday as well. I've done the program before, and then life got in the way and I wasn't making time to run so I decided for the sake of my knee and ankle, I'd start from the beginning rather than 2-3 weeks in. It does get easier, and I've found if I distract myself with music instead of the podcasts, it also goes by faster.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:32 am 

Definitely gaia! C25k buddies!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:52 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

gaia13 wrote:
Good luck, Nicole! I really like Kathy Freston, so I may have to pick up this book. For me, sometimes doing one thing at a time is the only way I can do things because if I'm trying to change too much, I end up getting overwhelmed and going back to my old ways. I've also done ETL on and off, though never exactly how its written. My problem with it is that when I read message boards for inspiration, they trigger something in me and some of them seem very pro-ED. It's probably all in my head, though.

The gradual (friendly, laid back) approach is the whole concept of the book and that's what I really like. Freston says that you could shoot for one step a week, a month, or whatever seems best for you, you don't have to do one step a day if it's too much. I like that it's not about deprivation, it's about adding good things (she says it more eloquently, but I can't remember the wording right now) - so if you want to have a cupcake, go for it, as long as you've done the good things for yourself too. A lot of it is common sense - but stuff I just have let myself become lazy about.

I understand how you feel about the ETL boards. It's a good plan in theory, but I think practice is just way too extreme for most people. Just my opinion!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:05 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

man I try and try to run...just cant seem to do it. I get a lot of pain in my ankles, like the top part of my foot/ankle. Really bad after a run, cant even walk for a few days. I live in a hilly area, so maybe that is part of the problem. maybe hills are not the best for starting on

I know i have good cardio. I can do an hour spin class, hour turbo kickboxing, 45-60 minutes on an eliptical no problem at all.

haha i wish there was a marathon with elipticals!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:16 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Chicki wrote:
man I try and try to run...just cant seem to do it. I get a lot of pain in my ankles, like the top part of my foot/ankle. Really bad after a run, cant even walk for a few days. I live in a hilly area, so maybe that is part of the problem. maybe hills are not the best for starting on

I know i have good cardio. I can do an hour spin class, hour turbo kickboxing, 45-60 minutes on an eliptical no problem at all.

running on a treadmill is signficantly easier than on pavement, less impact. you might want to see if that helps? (i was never able to really run comfortably til i started treadmilling. extra bonus is that i no longer heel strike, even though i know from how my shoes used to wear that i used to when i ran in high school.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I regained the weight I had lost last year, and I'm getting back on track now. I've lost 6 lbs in the last 2 weeks by cutting out sugar and watching my calories.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:06 am 
Ninja Master

I weighed myself this morning and haven't gained. Haven't lost either but at least I haven't gained.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:11 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

torque wrote:
Chicki wrote:

running on a treadmill is signficantly easier than on pavement, less impact. you might want to see if that helps? (i was never able to really run comfortably til i started treadmilling. extra bonus is that i no longer heel strike, even though i know from how my shoes used to wear that i used to when i ran in high school.)

Yes, well i have tried that, but it is so boring...i just keep looking at the clock waiting for it to be over! Also, i fell off a treadmill once. I have terrible balance, so i have to hold onto the bar like a weirdo when i run. Next time I am at the gym though (tonight! every night!) I will give it another try.

I want to take advantage of the awesome weather we have here and run outside and enjoy it. I think i might drive to a park or something that is on flat land. When I trail run i dont seem to have the problems, unless the trail is hilly of course.

I also got some awesome new shoes, so that might help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:15 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i totally have to either move the display or cover it over. i do have really awesome podcasts though, and usually i can overcome my own mind games.
i need to find some trails, i could use a good trail run.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:17 am 

I have had a pretty rubbish week, food wise. I am glad/lucky that I haven't gained this week. Hopefully I will get back from the gym, have a good meal and get back on track.

Actually, I wonder am I eating more rubbish because I am not eating enough in general? I don't count calories or anything but my activity levels have increased a lot!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:44 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I do think that happens, Sarah-Jane. It's like your body is telling you: Get quick energy now! Any means necessary!

I've been trying to grab fruit when this is the case, but junk is so easy and delicious!

I haven't been on the scale for ages. I'm not sure if I want to. My new goal is just to make sure I eat 3 servings each of fruits and veggies every day. I've not got there yet. If I'm eating that much fruit and veggies though, I won't want to eat as much crepe, right?!

I've also been trying to get into a running habit again. Last night I really wanted to go home after work and take a nap, but I was like, meh, I'll just run a little first. Usually if I can get out the door I enjoy myself.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:58 am 

I haven't increased my activity that much (I now go to the gym at least 6 days instead of 3/4, walk everywhere I can instead of bus or taxi and just keep myself busy) but I do thing it is enough to make a difference. I need to keep more fruit in the house so I have nice stuff to munch on when that need to feed hits me!

Fruit and veg are so good for you and on the eating plan I follow you can eat as much (literally as much) as you want and they fill you up!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:26 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

With the advent of watermen days and several months into therapy, I am finally feeling more stable and capable of trying to lose weight. I'm trying to avoid refined sugars, but not tracking anything yet, since I find it tiring and somewhat triggering of my food anxiety. So far I've lost a couple pounds, mostly in water weight/fluctuation weight. Going to have to maintain that over the weekend (though if I gain weight in muscle mass, I'll be happy)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 145  Next