| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Staying away for the first time since becoming vegan, HALP!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:49 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'm off to Sheffield for the bank holiday weekend, and as I'm a *very* new vegan, it's the first time I've been away since I took the plunge. I've taken note of everything in the thread on here about Sheffield, but as I am staying in a hotel, I'll need to eat out for every meal. I thought about where/what I would do for breakfast and had a little panic, I'm not a nice person when I am hungry! Am planning on taking a few staples, I have powdered soya milk and will take snacks, but other than that I'm not sure. Sooo, if anyone has any suggestions / ideas / recommendations of where to eat on the run or good places for breakfast me and my belly will be eternally grateful!

Thank you!
Lucinda

Post subject: Re: Staying away for the first time since becoming vegan, HA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

You'll be fine! It's usually breakfast in the hotel that takes a bit of organising, and lunch and dinner are usually easy enough in cafes (if you're not fussy about overdosing on baked potatoes and baked beans!). I usually take the little cartons of provamel soya milk with me rather than powdered stuff, just because I find it less faff and nicer-tasting with that first cuppa in the morning. I also take a tub of Pure marg with me, and then have toast and either marmalade or marmite and fruit salad for hotel breakfast; or mushrooms and grilled tomatoes on toast if I can get the staff to tell me for sure that the mushrooms are cooked separately in oil not lard.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:38 pm 

Thanks :-) See, one of my big downfalls is I absolutely hate baked beans, I like haricot beans, and I like tomato sauce, but stick em together in a tin and I'll be struggling to keep them down! We're not necessarily eating in the hotel, we thought we'd keep our options open so haven't paid for anything upfront.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:39 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I usually have a packet of peanuts lurking in my bag for emergencies when I'm not sure when or where I'll next get a chance to pick up food. It's pretty easy to grab a bean salad or whatever from a supermarket while you're on the go. I don't really drink tea and just eat cereal with juice in hotels, unless there happens to be a fridge. It might be worth asking whether they can provide soy milk. Lots of hotels seem to do this on request around here.

ETA: You replied while I was writing my post, so never mind the hotel breakfast comments. My breakfast generally involves putting nut butter on rice cakes and getting crumbs all over my flat anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:09 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

if your not being healthy, one of the pasty chains do a wholemeal veg pasty that is vegan. That's my hangover breakfast staple :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:42 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I always fill a few ziploc bags with muesli when I'm going away anywhere, and take some mini cartons of soy or rice milk, chocolate bars and cereal bars. That covers most emergencies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:00 am 
Ninja Master

agent_44 wrote:
Thanks :-) See, one of my big downfalls is I absolutely hate baked beans, I like haricot beans, and I like tomato sauce, but stick em together in a tin and I'll be struggling to keep them down! We're not necessarily eating in the hotel, we thought we'd keep our options open so haven't paid for anything upfront.

Same here, they are the devil.

I usually do ok if they have fruit/cereal/bread in the hotel. I take my own marg and soymilk most of the time, although if you speak to the hotel ahead of time, they'll often get in some soymilk for you.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:57 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

What about one of those nakd bars (or something similar) and a banana? Or a soy yoghurt if you have a fridge in your room. Even a handful of almonds, a banana and a coffee can be good for brekkie, and no mess or fuss required.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:06 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Yep same as above I take those little cartons of soya milk for a cuppa in the room and at breakfast. Also take a tub of marg for spreadin on the toast.
You should have access to supermarkets there, for lunch I sometimes buy the little packets of sugar snap peas and baby carrots then a tub of hummous and a bread roll and scoff that. The bugsy sandwich from Boots is handy and sometimes you can find bagel places that will do you a hummous bagel.
You wont starve!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:58 am 
Tofu Pup

I usually make myself a ziplog bag with granola and cereal and buy a soy yogurt to eat with it. Cereal, muesli, some nuts and a banana with milk works well too.
Or you could bring/buy some bagels and bring some peanut butter or other spread.
I also like the bar and a banana idea for on the go! Planning is definitely key, I always take mini Provamel soy milks, enough cereal/granola and bars if there isn't a fridge. Nuts and nut butter are always good too!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:53 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

When I was travelling for work (and staying in rural areas of the Netherlands) I always took bagels and peanut butter so I could at least have breakfast. Sometimes I would also take tortilla wraps and those little tins of refried beans so I could put together something for lunch too!

Mat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:03 pm 

Thanks for all the ideas! After all my panic, I bothered to look at the hotel website and they mention that they have soya milk and there are quite a lot of vegan options on the menu, I'm such a pillock when I srart to panic, all my common sense goes out the window. But, you've been really helpful and I have a sack full of snacks to take up that will get me through the rest of the time should I need them :-)

Also, in my snack buying discovered choices caramels, they wont make it long enough to come with us, I don't think!

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]