| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1093 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we talk about vaccinations here?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I hesitated to read this thread but I should have trusted the PPK, as usual.

My son had H1N1 2.5 years ago when he was 10. He was really sick, not hospitalized and not life-threatening but worryingly sick. I have three boys - he is the youngest - and when they get sick he is always the one who gets sickest, so I get him the flu shot now and I get it too.

I also have a son, my second, who has Asperger's and I know this is only my anecdote but in my opinion he was created this way. From the time he started moving in the womb I suspected there was something different about him , and certainly from the time he was born it was clear he was not a "typical" child. Had nothing to do with vaccination. His father and paternal grandfather also share similar traits, though not as pronounced.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am one of the few of my friends that have vaccinated. I understand there are children who cannot be vaccinated on time and I personally feel like since I have a healthy baby I should vaccinate him. One friend had initially told me that she wasn't going to vaccinate the first year because a week before she found out she was pregnant she had received a ton of vaccines because she was planning to travel to Africa. That I can totally understand. Later she and someone else told me that they aren't vaccinating because, " the ones who are vaccinated are more likely to get the illness they were vaccinated for". I didn't get into it with them, but what the hell.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Ezra just had his last dose of polio this morning (we're on an alternative schedule, only getting one or sometimes two at each well-baby check up), and the effing needle broke off in his leg. Ohmygoodness, it was a crazy horrible moment for all of us involved.

We're on the fence on varicella right now. We've had an outbreak of chickenpox in the last month (which has been welcomed with open arms by my crunchier friends...), so I want to keep him protected, but I know it's not the end of the world if he gets it (though I know there is a very slight risk of some pretty bad infections), but at the same time, if we can provent it, shouldn't we? I just go around and around in circles on this one. It's the one that's making me the most crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:30 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

AlwaysHungry wrote:
I realize this is kindof off-topic, but I'm curious about your experiences 2-ish years ago with the H1N1 influenza pandemic and the vaccination, and whether you decided to become vaccinated. The H1N1 scare in Canada was epic, and there was a strong push for people to be vaccinated, especially for those at increased risk.

I opted not to be vaccinated, and I wasn't ever sick despite having cared for 6 confirmed H1N1+ patients. But I wonder if I was a parent if I'd have reconsidered.

2-ish years ago I had a newborn baby. I got immunized since it was offered on-campus for free by the school I worked for.

On the way out I was buttonholed by some smugass college student who tried to tell me I was playing into the big pharma agenda. I told him I had a newborn at home and he could go to hell. (Using slightly friendlier phrasing.)

I did not get flu. Last year I got a flu vaccine; did not get flu. This year I forgot and I was sick for weeks. I managed to get a shot after having some strain of flu and before the new baby was born. Next year, vaccine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:38 am 
Semen Strong

Holy crepe Flava! Poor Ezra! That sounds so traumatic!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Seagull of the PPK

flavabean wrote:
Ezra just had his last dose of polio this morning (we're on an alternative schedule, only getting one or sometimes two at each well-baby check up), and the effing needle broke off in his leg. Ohmygoodness, it was a crazy horrible moment for all of us involved.

We're on the fence on varicella right now. We've had an outbreak of chickenpox in the last month (which has been welcomed with open arms by my crunchier friends...), so I want to keep him protected, but I know it's not the end of the world if he gets it (though I know there is a very slight risk of some pretty bad infections), but at the same time, if we can provent it, shouldn't we? I just go around and around in circles on this one. It's the one that's making me the most crazy.

OMFG! were they able to get it out?? what a bizarre thing!!

you know ezra is obviously the new superman.

as for varicella. i wasn't going to do it but did because it turned out there were people with low immunity around that i wanted to protect. if you come into contact with people who are at risk from chickenpox (pregnant, low immun and newborns IIRC) you might want to consider it from that angle instead. also, i know i'm not the only person here who had a really bad case of chickenpox, and i wouldn't wish that on my kid.

Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

flavabean wrote:

i just had to pay $100 to get a chicken pox titre so I could work in a hospital, so, if nothing else, if you get Ezra the vaccine you might save him some money as an adult.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:15 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Do chicken pox vaccines also help protect against the possibility of shingles in adulthood? I know you can only get shingles if you've already had chicken pox, so if a child is vaccinated and doesn't get chicken pox...or am I incorrect about this? And shingles outbreaks seem to be getting a lot more common (in my experience)--I know a fair amount of people who are in their twenties/thirties, are not immuno-compromised, and have had shingles (one was told by a doctor that it couldn't be shingles because he was too young, and he was prescribed a topical steroid, which is pretty much the worst thing you can do for shingles). And *that* would be my argument for getting a chicken pox vaccine--anything to prevent worse illnesses later on.

Also, I know it's been said a million times, but protecting others is a big deal. I'm pretty sure I had H1N1 in May of 2009. Only had a formal diagnosis of a bronchial infection, but at 28, I had a 103 degree fever for a few days, a cough that made me think I was going to break a rib, and repeated vomiting. Given that it was a month or two after the first outbreak, and that I hadn't had a fever like that since I was a child, it's likely it was swine flu. But even if it wasn't, I was incredibly ill, and what scares me most is that I was on an airplane while sick. I'd been sick prior to getting on the plane and had thought it was a bad cold; I'd been feeling better for several days and hadn't had a fever or the terrible cough, so I flew home. I really, really hope no one on that plane got sick because of me. I'd stepped on it feeling like I had a mild cold, and by the time my parents picked me up from the airport, my fever was already up and I could barely talk to them. At the time, I don't think the vaccination was available to me--but just knowing how many people I could have exposed means that had it been available, I would have been first in line for it.

Also: I have quite a strong immune system. Still need vaccines.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:18 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

tinglepants! wrote:
Do chicken pox vaccines also help protect against the possibility of shingles in adulthood? I know you can only get shingles if you've already had chicken pox, so if a child is vaccinated and doesn't get chicken pox...or am I incorrect about this? And shingles outbreaks seem to be getting a lot more common (in my experience)--I know a fair amount of people who are in their twenties/thirties, are not immuno-compromised, and have had shingles (one was told by a doctor that it couldn't be shingles because he was too young, and he was prescribed a topical steroid, which is pretty much the worst thing you can do for shingles). And *that* would be my argument for getting a chicken pox vaccine--anything to prevent worse illnesses later on.

I was wondering about that too... I've just met quite a few people who suffer from repeated bouts of shingles and until recently I'd never even known much about the disease. I had originally planned to see if S got chicken pox naturally and vaccinate around 12 if he hadn't, but now I'm not sure.

We live in Austin, which seems to have a lot of pertussis outbreaks because of the large pockets of unvaccinated kids here. That puts me purely in the pro-pertussis vaccination camp.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:46 am 
Grandfathered In

I had shingles when I was 13.

Not a happy memory.

I am interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:53 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Ezra is... Polioman! He handled it as well as a 2 year old could (which isn't very well). I felt bad for the poor lady who got kicked by some pretty serious toddler legs during the whole process. He's playing at home now, like it never happened. Sheesh.

I think we're eventually going to do the vax, I just wasn't comfortable with doing a new one today, especially in the state Ezra was in after the first one... I'm definitely cautious about vaccinations (we said no to that new 9-in-1 shot to do them one at a time), but I'm not one who thinks that medicine is pure evil and that Big Pharma is out to get us. In the end, we all want what's best for our kids, and the more information we can share with each other on the research we've done, the better.

Our doctor said that shingles is caused when the chickenpox virus lies dormant in the spine and can come up again later in life. So people who have had chickenpox are at risk of getting shingles later on (which is the opposite of what I thought was true!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:42 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

FootFace wrote:
I had shingles when I was 13.

Not a happy memory.

I am interesting.

so weird, I've known a few people to get shingles lately! one of them is in prison, which makes a little sense in terms of immune system vulnerability, but the other is my sis-in-law who's been under a little stress but not tons - she had it pretty mild though apparently.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:21 pm 
Nooch of Earl

According to an aunt (who's an epidemiological nurse) via my MIL: shingles is actually the same disease as chicken pox, but varicella can stay dormant in the body - people tend to get it later in life because the previous natural immunity to varicella tends to wear off. My aunt was advising my MIL, who's at that age where people tend to develop shingles, to get the varicella vaccine.

The thing that makes me slightly wary of this vaccine (although we'll almost certainly still get it) is that as far as I know, it hasn't been around long enough to know whether we need boosters, and how often, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have had shingles twice. Unbelievably ill, both times, and with the horrid knowledge that if I get stressed and run down it is likely to come back again. My sister has scars on her face from having chicken pox as a child - not so much an issue for her now she's older, but was a real issue for her when she was a teenager. Frankly, even if that vaccine needed a booster every *year*, I'd still think that was preferrable to having a lifetime of shingles recurrences.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:34 pm 
Inflexitarian

I came to the realization that all the stuff I had been reading before (mostly on mothering) was just fear-mongering misinformation, so my kids are now vaccinated. They've had two rounds of everything so far and still have some catching up to do. They've done fine with them, just minor swelling with the DTaP and minor fevers. I wish I had done it sooner, and I'm pissed that all the anti-vaccine stuff made me so afraid. It really does prey on parents' fears.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:48 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

AlwaysHungry wrote:
I realize this is kindof off-topic, but I'm curious about your experiences 2-ish years ago with the H1N1 influenza pandemic and the vaccination, and whether you decided to become vaccinated. The H1N1 scare in Canada was epic, and there was a strong push for people to be vaccinated, especially for those at increased risk.

I opted not to be vaccinated, and I wasn't ever sick despite having cared for 6 confirmed H1N1+ patients. But I wonder if I was a parent if I'd have reconsidered.

I'm extra vigilant about getting my flu shot because it absolutely sucks to take care of a kid when you are sick. It seriously is the hardest thing about being a parent for me so far. I have bad allergies and mild asthma, and I tend to get sick a lot. I can't tell my kid to just sit quietly while I rest when I'm sick, so I tend to be sicker for longer than when I was childless. So, yeah, I do everything I can to keep myself healthy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Funny, I just finished reading all of this and then there was a commercial about chicken pox and shingles on TV. I don't think I knew the two were related.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:10 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

They are cross over viruses, if you've had chicken pox and come into contact with it later on can cause shingles. If you've never had it and come into contact with shingles it can cause chicken pox. My mum couldn't come near me when I had shingles because she's never had chicken pox, even though all us kids had it at some stage. I think she might be immune.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

keen_on_quinoa wrote:
I came to the realization that all the stuff I had been reading before (mostly on mothering) was just fear-mongering misinformation, so my kids are now vaccinated. They've had two rounds of everything so far and still have some catching up to do. They've done fine with them, just minor swelling with the DTaP and minor fevers. I wish I had done it sooner, and I'm pissed that all the anti-vaccine stuff made me so afraid. It really does prey on parents' fears.

Thank you. I know I rant about this a lot, so I think it behooves me to say that it goes both ways, and I appreciate it. I realize that probably doesn't make much difference in the long run ("Some random guy on the internet thanked me for something I did that will probably never effect him or his family! WHOOOO!"), but I think it's worth saying... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got chicken pox in the 7th grade in the pre-vaccine days. I was out of school for almost 1/2 the year. Did you know that the chances of life-threatening complications increase as you age?

My son got the vaccination because I didn't want to risk that he would get it when he was older and because I don't want to be the parent who's kid gives chicken pox to an older person who has never had it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:05 pm 
Married to the wolfman

flavabean wrote:

Ooooooh holy shiitake that's scary. The needle breaking off thing. Poor Ez, and poor you too!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:47 am 
Not NOT A Furry

solipsistnation wrote:
AlwaysHungry wrote:

2-ish years ago I had a newborn baby. I got immunized since it was offered on-campus for free by the school I worked for.

On the way out I was buttonholed by some smugass college student who tried to tell me I was playing into the big pharma agenda. I told him I had a newborn at home and he could go to hell. (Using slightly friendlier phrasing.)

I did not get flu. Last year I got a flu vaccine; did not get flu. This year I forgot and I was sick for weeks. I managed to get a shot after having some strain of flu and before the new baby was born. Next year, vaccine.

Personally, I was concerned about the vaccine because I couldn't find consistent data which supprted it's safety. Also, by the time the vaccination campaign began I already had coworkers and patients who had become ill with H1N1, so I figured I'd likely already been exposed. Anyway. And I have opposite experiences with vaccines... I got the flu shot annually for years, and despite that was sick with the flu as well as several cold viruses every year. Now... I haven't had a flu shot in over 5 years, have never had the flu in that time, and have had a total of 2 colds in all that time. Super-immune vs. Super-lucky. I dunno.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:45 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

solipsistnation wrote:
keen_on_quinoa wrote:

Thank you. I know I rant about this a lot, so I think it behooves me to say that it goes both ways, and I appreciate it. I realize that probably doesn't make much difference in the long run ("Some random guy on the internet thanked me for something I did that will probably never effect him or his family! WHOOOO!"), but I think it's worth saying... 8)

I was the same way. I was hesitent about vaccinating because all of the stuff on mothering. I hadn't made an actual decision when he was born and decided against the first round of shots. Once I realized that I DID want to vaccinate and it was all crepe after reading some neutral based information I started his vaccinations just a little more spread out. I am confident in our decision to vaccinate now. One of the biggest reasons I chose to is actually having a kid on the outside and thinking about if something did happen to him I could never forgive myself for being so stuck up and afraid to get them. Not that people who don't vaccinate are stuck up and afraid but I certainly was.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:37 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh Lard, I'm a horrible mother by mothering's standards. Between saying that we were planning to vax and later that we weren't planning to co-sleep, I thought that one of the zealots (who are likely just a vocal minority) were going to sic family services on us.

We've settled on an alternative schedule but hit a snag in that one of the vax is no longer available at the clinic we're using. Likely that we will skip the diptheria vax for now because of this, though we can travel to London if we really wanted. Something like 60 cases a year in the UK, so not a big risk.

Glad that freya will be able to get the menc shot but worried too as she got very ill/fever after the first dose (men c combined with hib). Hearsay has it though that the further doses of vax are less like to cause trouble but not sure that's true.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:47 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mothering is an AWFUL forum, full of people who I suspect shouldn't be allowed to raise children-- or at least the anti-vax forums are. I read it when I want to experience apoplectic rage.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1093 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 44  Next