| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [New London/Mystic/Groton, CT] Mystic Vegans?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:56 am 
Nooch of Earl

Hi all,

We just left Alexandria, Virginia and are in the New London area for a couple months while my husband does some training for work.

It looks like the vegan situation has changed a little bit since we lived here five years ago! Puritan and Genesta in Mystic seems to have closed.. I went to the Fiddleheads Co-op yesterday and frankly had sticker shock.

We had a nice lunch at Mangetout the other day, and I can't wait to check out Pizzetta.

Anybody else in this area? Tips? Must-sees? Feel like a baby-friendly meetup (we have an 8 mo old)? When we lived here before we ate at ION in Middleton, this diner about 30 miles away along 95 whose name I've totally forgotten...and I think there was a good brewery somewhere near Middleton as well. It's all fuzzy.

Post subject: Re: [New London/Mystic/Groton, CT] Mystic Vegans?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

surely you mean the shoreline diner on 95!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:33 am 
Semen Strong

I loved the Shoreline Diner! But I heard that it went downhill recently bc they no longer work with the vegan chef who came in to do the menu and train the staff.

It sucks bc they used to have the most amazing vegan Napoleon...

Annak, I'd love to have a PPKids meet-up! And for local PPK action, Mooo is in the area and esme has a vegan meeet-up group in RI.

Last edited by Tofulish on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:34 am 
Chard Martyr

What?! Puritan and Genesta was my favourite surprise when I visited Mystic in late 2010. The people were so friendly and they had tons of fresh vegan items (wraps, muffins, etc) daily.

Pizzetta is wonderful. I think they have a happy hour on Fridays?

I was pleasantly surprised, but that was mostly due to those two establishments. Mystic is gorgeous and I hope you find a replacement for P&G.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:14 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

HEY! I used to live in Mystic and Groton! Not since '98 or so though. My first job was at Mystical Toys and I used to live right down near the Emporium. Of course, I was still "semi-vegetarian" then so I know nothing helpful.

Just a few years ago I moved to Kittery ME and I can now say that Mystic wishes it could grow up to be Portsmouth NH :D

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:29 am 
Nooch of Earl

Huh, it looks like the P&G website is still around and doesn't mention the closing, but when I was googling to find their address to put into my GPS (Yes, we're staying within a couple miles of the place. YES, I have zero sense of direction.) I found this article:

http://www.thewesterlysun.com/mysticriv ... 002e0.html

It's really sad. Their wall of vegan junk food and I got along so well! I was excited to see Fiddleheads finally open (when we were here before it said "coming soon" the ENTIRE TIME we lived here), but oh boy, the prices there. I'm pretty used to vegan convenience food pricing but this was a good 50% above what Whole Foods charges for things like field roast sausages and earth balance and the like. And YES! Shoreline was the place. I'm bummed to hear it may be less awesome these days.

Appifanie, sorry to hear you're out of the area! We come back here every few years because a lot of the submarine force training happens in Groton.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:30 pm 
Chip Strong

I do live in Connecticut, but I don't really have any suggestions, sorry! That pizza place in Mystic looks great, though! I'd love to try it. We had thought there was no pizza with vegan cheese in all of CT. I did go to the Shoreline Diner once and I'm sorry to say that I personally thought it was horrible. There aren't any restaurants in the New Haven area that I think would really be worth the drive for you, but Yale has some museums that might be good for kids. New Haven is conveniently located between you and the NYC area though, hint hint Tofulish... I would love to have a meet-up! My partner's brother lives in northern NJ and it only takes us a little over an hour to drive there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:15 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

mooo wrote:
I did go to the Shoreline Diner once and I'm sorry to say that I personally thought it was horrible. .

you ain't the only one, but to be fair it was in the dark pre-daiya days for me. i was amazed that i was in a diner that advertised itself so heavily as veg friendly, and i had a bowl of pink strawberries and black coffee for breakfast. ;-(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:16 pm 
Chip Strong

Exactly! What the hell? There are signs on the freeway that say "VEGAN!" and you show up and there are like 2 options.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:27 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

appifanie wrote:
I can now say that Mystic wishes it could grow up to be Portsmouth NH :D

SERIOUSLY!

I never had much luck with vegan stuff in the Groton area. And, I am absolutely SHOCKED Fiddleheads is actually up and running. There is (was) a food co-op in Willimantic. I'm not sure about prices though, it was so long ago. The selection was decent enough. Oh, and there was a small HFS in Niantic. Might be worth checking out. I usually stuck to Stop and Shop.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:25 am 
Tofu Pup

mooo wrote:
There aren't any restaurants in the New Haven area that I think would really be worth the drive for you, but Yale has some museums that might be good for kids.

I have to disagree with you on this...
There are a few really great places to eat in New Haven & the Yale museums are really great for adults, not kids...
Closer to Mystic is G-Zen in Branford. All vegan run by the original owners of ION. One of the best vegan meals I have ever had.
In New Haven:
Thali Too an Indian place. All vegetarinan & lots of vegan options really great.
Red Lentil all vegan. Also really good.
Mamoun's Felafel-a New Haven staple.
York St Noodle-be careful here there is fish sauce hidden in some items. I think Happy Cow has a good rundown of what to avoid here.
Lalabella is Ethiopian. lots of options.
Edge of the Woods is a natural market with a sandwich & hot food bar-it's ok...
Avoid Claire's at all costs!!!!
New Haven is definitely worth the trip!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:33 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

2 Wives in New London has vegan cheese, too. And I think it's high time for a CT meetup!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:50 am 
Nooch of Earl

Wow, that 2 Wives place looks good! Panko breaded 'sparagus? Yes please.

Where would people be interested in doing a meetup? Would ION be reasonably central? Maybe next weekend (4/20-4/22)?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:49 pm 

That sounds good to me! 4/22 would be slightly easier but I could make it any of those three days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:30 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
an old band of mine talked shiitake about the promoter on stage (or lack thereof) when we played the EL n Gee club years ago and the meathead owner suckerpunched my friend in the face outside afterwards. Thats my New London story. No relation really whatsoever to this thread

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:43 am 
Chip Strong

I could do a lunch meet-up on Saturday the 21st!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:38 am 

Adam Crisis wrote:
an old band of mine talked shiitake about the promoter on stage (or lack thereof) when we played the EL n Gee club years ago and the meathead owner suckerpunched my friend in the face outside afterwards. Thats my New London story. No relation really whatsoever to this thread

ha! did you play at sneekers? i went to sneekers once. lame asparagus bars in that area.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:14 am 
Nooch of Earl

(Sorry for the delay in response, I was out of town the last couple days while enduring the perfect storm of broken electronics that kept me out of touch)

So it sounds like Saturday the 21st might work for a couple people besides me? Want to plan on noon, then? I'll probably bring baby and husband, assuming my husband isn't working then..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:31 pm 
Chip Strong

Lunch at noon works for me! My partner is out of town so it will just be me and my fetus. Do you think we should make a thread specifically for a CT meet-up on another day though, to give more people a chance to see it? I'm fine either way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:38 pm 

Yeah that works for me too!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:40 am 
Nooch of Earl

OK, we'll be there - I'll ask for a table for four + high chair (if they have them) for a mini-meetup!

Here's us from a couple months ago:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:32 am 

Hurray! I look like this:
Well my hair is probably my most distinctive feature, haha. I'll probably be wearing that sweater too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:25 am 

Thread revival!

Going to be in town the first week of April. Tell me where to eat! I was only "semi-veg" when I grew up there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:11 am 
Nooch of Earl

Pizzetta and Mangetout were my favorites! Though there's lots of stuff in Providence that's worth a trip up if you can swing it (mmm, Like No Udder truck)....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:23 am 

appifanie wrote:
Thread revival!

Going to be in town the first week of April. Tell me where to eat! I was only "semi-veg" when I grew up there.

If you're going to be wandering around, there's a taco place next door-ish to the Book Barn in Niantic called East Coast Taco that can do vegan stuff. And if you're wandering around, you should most certainly be going to the Book Barn. They don't have vegan stuff marked but usually I ask before I order to make sure--it's the stuff you would think, bean/grilled veggie burritos without cheese, etc.