| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Vancouver Thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:40 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So my birthday is in a month and I'm already trying to plan where to meet friends...last year we went to the Alibi Room (I had a fantastic hummus plate) and my friends enjoyed the no-pressure-to-pretend-to-love-hipster-vegan-food atmosphere. Any suggestions for a bar/lounge/restaurant that isn't vegan but serves good vegan dinner food and drinks that aren't too expensive? I'm not sure if this is a tall order or not, but I'm sure there are places out there I have no idea about. Thanks PPK :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

What about The Refinery? Hmm, it seems like it used to be more obviously vegan-friendly but the menu looks okay. They might be worth calling! http://www.therefineryvancouver.com/res ... enus/food/

There's always The Wallflower (boring).

Grub is expensive, but amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:45 am 
Smuggling Raisins

mel b wrote:
So my birthday is in a month and I'm already trying to plan where to meet friends...last year we went to the Alibi Room (I had a fantastic hummus plate) and my friends enjoyed the no-pressure-to-pretend-to-love-hipster-vegan-food atmosphere. Any suggestions for a bar/lounge/restaurant that isn't vegan but serves good vegan dinner food and drinks that aren't too expensive? I'm not sure if this is a tall order or not, but I'm sure there are places out there I have no idea about. Thanks PPK :)

Nuba is great. I've heard great things about Wild Rice but haven't been yet!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:47 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Does anyone know if some of the Guu locations are vegan friendly? I've always wanted to try it but I feel like asking if fish stock is used in everything would be a pain, maybe I'll suck it up and just ask.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:01 am 

I totally understand! They're a bit intimidating there, and are not about making substitutions and stuff. I went the Robson West End location with friends once, but I stuck to drinks because nothing looked safe, even with modifications.

My dream new restaurant in Vancouver would be vegetarian Izakaya. And a vegan ramen place. There are SO MANY of them and so little (if any) we can ever eat!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:07 am 

Speaking of Wild Rice (and I am always game to talk about Wild Rice), their new location in New West's menu is even more vegan-friendly. And it looks SO GOOD. For example, this is vegan: grilled king oyster mushrooms $15
shiitke mushroom and scallion polenta 'fries', cashew and caramelized onion ricotta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:51 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

There's a Wild Rice in New West? Exciting!

And I just want to report (again?) about the Loving Hut Foodtruck: SO EFFING GOOD!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:34 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Irish Heather is an option. They had a pretty extensive vegan menu at one of those dine-out things.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:53 am 

theque wrote:
Irish Heather is an option. They had a pretty extensive vegan menu at one of those dine-out things.

They have a vegan potpie and the curry sauce that comes with their chips is vegan. I wasn't actually crazy about the curry sauce, but the chips (fries) are AMAZING! They also have a salad and I think sometimes their soup is vegan. I was pretty impressed.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:14 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

vijita wrote:
I totally understand! They're a bit intimidating there, and are not about making substitutions and stuff. I went the Robson West End location with friends once, but I stuck to drinks because nothing looked safe, even with modifications.

My dream new restaurant in Vancouver would be vegetarian Izakaya. And a vegan ramen place. There are SO MANY of them and so little (if any) we can ever eat!

That is my dream too!! Stupid bonito flakes and fish stock, always gettin' in the way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:53 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Had dinner with my cousin last night at Shizenya on Boradway (also a Hornby location) - lots of vegan options, a bit more expensive than your average sushi place so don't go if you're ravenous, but what I had was really great, and actually decent pricing for being organic. Lotus root kinpira rocked. The vegetarian stuff is clearly labelled, win.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:41 am 

My friend has been raving about the Mangal Kiss Middle-Eastern food cart. She gets the veggie wrap and it comes with hummus, tahini, beets, three types of hot sauces, red cabbage, tabbouleh, Moroccan carrots and other veggies. It sounds pretty awesome!

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/1614941/ ... -Vancouver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:06 pm 

Hi friends, I'm back to make my traditional plea for a place to live.

I'm looking for a two-bedroom in East Van for under $1400. Any leads you have would be most excellent!

Also, Chau veg is amazing! And there's vegan banh mi on Davie at a place called BaoQi. Super cheap, super spicy!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:22 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

in the theme of asking, does anyone have a great (veg friendly?) Doctor in the Vancouver? I really like mine but she is all the way in New West and only works 2 Monday's and Tuesdays...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:30 pm 

erindisaster wrote:
in the theme of asking, does anyone have a great (veg friendly?) Doctor in the Vancouver? I really like mine but she is all the way in New West and only works 2 Monday's and Tuesdays...

Mine is completely wonderful and super cool about veganism (and borrowed my copy of the China Study!) but she is in West Van, which can be a pain in the asparagus depending on where in Vancouver you live.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:46 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Anyone seen if they sell meat at Veggie ChauExpress?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:50 pm 

theque wrote:
Anyone seen if they sell meat at Veggie ChauExpress?

Like, meat-meat? They're a vegetarian company.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:30 pm 

I think it's confusing because Chau on Robson wasn't veg. But this one is! :) I wanna try it sooooo bad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:44 pm 

Seriously, it is SO SO good there. I had banh mi and this amazing lemongrass-ginger soup. Oh man.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:34 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

j-dub wrote:
erindisaster wrote:

Mine is completely wonderful and super cool about veganism (and borrowed my copy of the China Study!) but she is in West Van, which can be a pain in the asparagus depending on where in Vancouver you live.

I live in east van and work downtown so a place near-ish to there would be great.

Can I also just take a minute to complain about my neighbourhood being rebranded as "the East village"...bad name, worse street signs!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:15 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

This is why I'm asking about meat at Chau
http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=26705

I haven't been for 2 months but it was definitely one of my favourite places in the city and just hope that the meat thing isn't true.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:38 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Sorry, my doctor is in West Van. She's cool, doesn't seem to judge one way or the other about me and veganism, she's just over the moon that my ferritin levels are in check!

I have yet to make it the the Chau place but I loved the old one on Robson so I might have to make a point of it now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:09 pm 

theque wrote:
This is why I'm asking about meat at Chau
http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=26705

I haven't been for 2 months but it was definitely one of my favourite places in the city and just hope that the meat thing isn't true.

That sucks if it is true! Happy Cow isn't usually the most on-the-ball news source but I could see them adding meat if business was slow. :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Is anyone going to the bake sale at 3G?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:10 pm 

Ooooh! http://www.straight.com/article-666251/ ... egan-menus

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 55  Next