| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:15 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the drive-through burgers and they are yum. Mine were mushy in the middle after sauteeing to get a crispy exterior, so I baked them too. The special sauce that goes with them is uh-mazing. And takes two seconds. I also made the apple cake. It was sweeeet and a bit oily and really good. It does not need the icing!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm determined to make something this week.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:02 pm 
Huffs Nooch

celyn wrote:
I made the drive-through burgers and they are yum. Mine were mushy in the middle after sauteeing to get a crispy exterior, so I baked them too.

I am making them this week. I really like how she gives the option of using brown rice as a sub for tempeh in her recipes. Around here, tempeh is really expensive. I plan on making them using the rice.

Everything I have made so far from this book has been yummy. The cornbread poppers with maple butter...YUM. Especially the butter...I know it seems so simple, but I never thought to combine the two. I also made the southwestern skillet meal with black eyed peas and thought it was really tasty..lots of different flavors combined. The caesar salad was AMAZING, though the dressing had a strong dijon flavor. It was definitely GOOD, though more like a dijon dressing than an authentic caesar. But the best part of the salad was the maple-wheat croutons. I have never made croutons before, and these were so good that I ate half of them before they even made it into the salad.

As far as her website, I am not a huge fan of the Mexicali sliders...I just feel like they're a bit bland and too "corn-starch-y." I'd like to add some more spices and some red or green pepper.

I also made the famous cupcake recipe that won her Cupcake Wars- the ginger nutmeg spice cupcakes. I was expecting to be blown away, but I must say they were just "good." Nothing spectacular! Most of the cupcakes I have made from VCTOTW have been a lot better.

This week I will be making the peanutty perfection noodles, mandarin orange salad, alfredo, garlic and greens soup with escarole, and for Easter I'm making the creamy scalloped potatoes, buttery biscuits, and chocolate-walnut fudge. Seriously, this book is rocking my world right now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:03 pm 
Huffs Nooch

creep wrote:
She's definitely not shy with the oil.

This is true. It is a great book for entertaining and impressing omnis. Not so great for me, since I'm trying to lose weight!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Just got groceries for the week, and I'm going to make the Alfredo (again!) with the garlic bread tonight, the Moo Shu vegetables tomorrow, and then Seitan Scallopini and Scalloped Potatoes on Saturday. nomnomnomnomnom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Bella Luna wrote:
creep wrote:
She's definitely not shy with the oil.

This is true. It is a great book for entertaining and impressing omnis. Not so great for me, since I'm trying to lose weight!

Just skimming through, it looks like you could reduce most of it, because she'll use a full 2 tablespoons just for sauteeing, which isn't really necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So last time I made the Alfredo I used whole wheat pasta, and tonight I used regular white pasta. I have to say, I liked it better with the whole wheat. The white pasta is a lot more starchy, and made the sauce kind of seize up on me while the wheat pasta kept the it really creamy and saucy. It still tasted really good though!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:16 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the Wontons with Apricot-Mustard Sauce and they were great! The mushroom and cashew based filling was very satisfying, and the apricot-mustard sauce was delicious, and so simple.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:03 am 
Saggy Butt

My sister (aka the coffee-hating carnivore) has declared the Cinnamon-Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies delicious. Which they absolutly are, mine didn't come out as flat as pictured. I pressed them down as instructed to get crispy ones, there crispy on the edges but soft in the centre which is actually kind of nice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:09 am 
WELFARIST!

I bought the fixins for the drunken broth cashew shittake udon soup. It sounds simple and delicious! I paid through the nose for the shittakes though (the recipe called for 8 oz. so I bought half a pound? I don't know if that's right but I figured it would be about right) and they were close to $8.00. It'll be worth it though. For some reason, ever since I've bought the book I've been craving that soup like mad and I haven't even tried it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think shiitakes here are like $15 for a pound, so that sounds about right. I guess that's why most recipes call for such a small amount.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

I just made the udon shittake soup. Really hit the spot but I thought it wasn't seasoned enough at first so I just added some more salt and that did the trick. Yum!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:24 am 
Saggy Butt

Re Shittake mushrooms, I pay nearly $6 for a quarter of a pound where I am. So nice but so expensive, I'm glad a little will go a long way.

I made the Penne alla Vodka last night, it's the thing I've been meaning to try for years. I'm glad I made it, it was absolutly delicious! I thought I didn't like fresh basil, actually I kind of do. I'm testing the left overs on the omni family members tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:47 am 
Huffs Nooch

I made the creamy scalloped potatoes with thyme last night. Holy smokes, it was SO, SO good. So creamy and delicious...I really wasn't expecting it to be so scrumptious. I also made the doughnuts. I thought they were pretty good. A baked doughnut is a baked doughnut. A sweet little doughnut-shaped cake.

Unrelated: I also made mac 'n shews for the first time last night (from PPK) and let me tell ya, I'll never look for another mac 'n cheese recipe again. SO GOOD.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:15 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

seitanicverses wrote:
I bought the fixins for the drunken broth cashew shittake udon soup. It sounds simple and delicious! I paid through the nose for the shittakes though (the recipe called for 8 oz. so I bought half a pound? I don't know if that's right but I figured it would be about right) and they were close to $8.00. It'll be worth it though. For some reason, ever since I've bought the book I've been craving that soup like mad and I haven't even tried it yet.

That soup sounds sooooo up my alley. Ugh, I might have to spring for the book.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:50 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Made the Moo Shu Vegetables tonight and it was awesome. I didn't do the homemade tortillas, but those looked very simple to make. This dish was good with just the veggies in a bowl with the sauce drizzled on top. Yummers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made a half batch of the Peanutty Perfection Noodles to take for lunches this week, but I think I may have messed up my halving calculations because the sauce to noodle ratio seemed wrong. Yummy, but it could be saucier. I'll have to try again.

Then tonight I made a half batch of the Tempeh Piccata and whipped up some Garlicky Greens (with spinach instead of kale) and they were both incredibly yummy! In fact, I went back and made a second batch of the Greens thinking "it's just spinach, it's not filling" and now I feel like I'm gonna bust. I do want to try it with kale at some point because I'm still trying to find the recipe that makes me love kale. And I might try using white wine instead of broth in the Piccata, but that's just experimentation. The recipe is totally yummy as is!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've got the Tempeh Piccata and Drive Thru Burgers on my to-make list for the weekend...so, with the block of tempeh in my freezer, one of them will actually happen...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:30 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm eating the Chipotle Chopped salad with lime-agave vinegarette right now for lunch. LOVE it. Super easy to make, too. I tossed the salad together except for the avocado which I'm chopping fresh for every serving and also keeping the dressing in a separate jar and dressing it only when serving, too so the romaine doesn't get soggy as it's going to be my lunch for the next couple of days. I totally love it, though, it's perfect for summer! Loving this book thus far!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I only planned four meals for this week, since I'm going out of town for the weekend, but all of them are from this book. Pretty rare for me to be excited about a cookbook enough to cook from it exclusively, so we'll see how it goes!

Currently planning the skillet black-eyed peas (with cornbread from the freezer), the tempeh piccata, the mongolian bbq seitan, and the Thai chickpea burgers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ah, yes - the Chipotle Chopped Salad. I forgot we made that one, and it was delicious. My husband and I finished the whole thing in one sitting. Tonight we had the Curried Squash, Lentil and Apple Stew, and it was another hit. The flavor could have used a bit more punch, but that's a matter of personal taste and easy to tweak. I really love this cookbook!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The black-eyed pea thing was really good. I was expecting something similar to the black-eyed pea dish in AFR, but it was actually very different. BBQ meets curry, almost.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:36 pm 
Huffs Nooch

creep wrote:
The black-eyed pea thing was really good. I was expecting something similar to the black-eyed pea dish in AFR, but it was actually very different. BBQ meets curry, almost.

I've had this book two weeks and I've already made this dish twice. LOVE IT. Especially because it's weight-watchers friendly. I make it with the sweet potato drop biscuits from AFR.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the Thai burgers tonight. The flavor was really good, but they stayed pretty mushy. I'd probably bake them instead of frying if I make them again. I really liked the sweet & spicy sauce, but it needs sriracha! Less sweet, more spice. Overall pretty good though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:14 pm 
Huffs Nooch

mmm, the drive-thru burgers are really good! I made mine with brown rice instead of tempeh. They were also kind of mushy, so I kept them in the frying pan with the lid on for an extra ten minutes and they firmed up. The special sauce is SO GOOD and reminiscent of the sauce from a big mac.

My mandarin orange salad was so-so. I did not fry the won tons on top because I can't find vegan won ton wrappers where I live, so I used those dry Asian noodles instead. The dressing was watery and overall I just felt the salad wasn't that amazing.

I was expecting to REALLY like the alfredo sauce, but that was also meh. I made the scalloped potatoes using a sauce that was very similar, but the potatoes were SO good. When I made them, I used veg broth instead of water to puree the cashews. I think that's where I went wrong here, by using two cups of water instead. Also, I used half cashews, half almonds, and for some reason I feel like there is a weird almond aftertaste, so next time I'd use all cashews.

The other thing I made this week was the cannellini bean soup with escarole. Very simple and basic- nothing incredibly special. I will eat it as leftovers for lunch this week but I am not especially excited about it, though I did not include the garlic toast inside the bowl.

So far, the best things from this book have been the drive-thru burgers with special sauce, peanutty perfection noodles, caesar salad with maple wheat croutons, scalloped potatoes, and black eyed pea skillet meal. All of those things are highly delicious and worth the price of the book alone.

I will say that I've never cooked so much from a single cookbook within the first two weeks of getting it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next