| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome - IBS
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yea, maybe. The pill freaks me out a bit (my friend got a blood clot, though they are prone in her family.) I like as minimal of hormones as possible. Also, my doctor dismisses my problems usually. I really don't enjoy him anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:58 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

oh i hate lousy doctors. can you dump him and get a new one?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I think I can/might. I have been going to him since I was 18 and it is like a family gyno thing. The women in my family go to that group of doctors. HOWEVER, my current PCP said she can do gyno work in her office (I guess she is certified?) She is vegetarian and very open to vegans and the lifestyle. She also listens to me and actually cares.

But the anxiety of it all ... welp, you know IBS. lol.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:14 pm 

oh that's cool! and yeah, the nerves!

actually, i ate some gluten last week and the next day had more of that "omg my stomach is suddenly killing me and I am nauseated and feverish and i've got chills" thing I used to get all the time, so that just reminds me that i need to stick to gf.

the doc sounds good! do it. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I understand that! I have been feeling shitty, but I think that's because I haven't been sleeping efficiently and weirdly, every time I get my period, it is like I am on my death bed (exaggeration, of course.) A day or two before, I get the worse headache right from the beginning of the day that won't go away. Then, the beast comes. It teases me. It makes me cramp, bloat and retain water. But nothing leaks. Then the gates open. At first it is kind, just being a faucet but no pain. Then BOOM! It is like I have a freaking flu! Hot, cold, then hot again. Cramps, leg and other body cramps and pains, can't eat, then starving, then nauseous. Sometimes my moods are ALL over the place, more recently.

You would think I was pregnant! lol.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:15 am 

that sounds like mine almost! poor us! :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:59 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

newsie15 wrote:
I understand that! I have been feeling shitty, but I think that's because I haven't been sleeping efficiently and weirdly, every time I get my period, it is like I am on my death bed (exaggeration, of course.) A day or two before, I get the worse headache right from the beginning of the day that won't go away. Then, the beast comes. It teases me. It makes me cramp, bloat and retain water. But nothing leaks. Then the gates open. At first it is kind, just being a faucet but no pain. Then BOOM! It is like I have a freaking flu! Hot, cold, then hot again. Cramps, leg and other body cramps and pains, can't eat, then starving, then nauseous. Sometimes my moods are ALL over the place, more recently.

You would think I was pregnant! That's very funny!.

I thought this temperature thing was just me! I felt like I was getting sick yesterday (but no fever!) but it's just my period looming. Fun times.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:32 am 

the temp thing mostly doesn't happen to me, unless i'm having a period/ibs thing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:52 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

newsie15 wrote:

You would think I was pregnant! That's very funny!.

Do you get menstrual migraines? Might account for the headache, weird temperature sensations, some of the nausea/feeling starving.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:20 pm 

chipmunk! that's super smart of you - it didn't even occur to me and I get menstrual migraines.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:00 pm 

okay so i ate gluten and i'm having a self-induced flare-up. i keep thinking i only have a gluten intolerance and forgetting it's ibs - sheesh me. so i ate gluten and now everytime i eat anything i feel like barfing/dying. and i'm so hungry!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:23 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Of course I can't have V8 juice. I can't believe I thought it would be ok to chug a bottle of it. I didn't think it would be a trigger but it seems obvious now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:49 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't know if this is of any help to anyone... but dramatically lowering the amount of starchy foods I eat has basically made my IBS go away. It might be something to do with fibre, but either way, it has made my life much more regular ifyaknowwhatimean.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:40 am 

I had the opposite effect. My stomach loves white bread, rice, and potatoes, but hates tomatoes and acidic fruits. I can eat tomatoes over rice, but apparently not in juice form.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:13 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey guys. How are you all diagnosed with this? Is there a test or just by explaining symptoms? I am currently taking Bentyl but I have not been told I have IBS (but I take Carafate too). My dr said it could be a possibility still though. I just got a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis, not sure if that would show anything.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I am sorry, one more thing. When they talk about IBS and say that vomiting is a "red flag" symptom, does that mean it is likely IBS or not? I am confused and really shouldn't be googling this stuff anyways.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:56 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

That means it's probably not IBS I would assume. I hope they do figure out what's bothering your stomach though!

Oh, and an IBS diagnosis is generally made when they can't find anything wrong with you. It's kind of a label for, "oh you're pooping/not pooping all the time and we have no idea why so we're just going to say you have IBS." I had a colonoscopy and they found nothing. Then I was diagnosed with IBS.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

That must be what my gastro dr meant that my vomiting puzzled him, because I have a two ended problem like once or twice a month. No way am I getting the "stomach flu" that often and no one else in the family is, since we share everything it seems. My entire digestive tract hates me, not just the bottom of it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:39 pm 
Impressive boner

I saw my GP today who thinks I could have IBS, but I'm not convinced. I get stomach pain roughly every week/two weeks, gas and bloating which can be triggered by anything, even salad, but have recently had pain lasting for about 7 hours, sulphur burps, sweating, shakes and vomiting. I don't have terrible bowel movements. I've got some medicine that's meant to work on inhibiting the acid in my stomach but the doctor doesn't know if it'll work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:14 pm 

enmommy i saw a doc who gave me bentyl but i didn't want to take it so i tried to figure out food triggers by keeping a food journal (which i do for migraine and weight loss purposes). a doctor i saw before him looked at this random list I made of every medical issue i have that bugs me (rashes, headaches, bloating, exhaustion, etc) and he said "oh, you have ibs" and somehow with my food journal i decided to eliminate gluten and that made me feel tons better. the only problem with that is i get all confused now and I'm all "i'm gluten intolerant" but really i have ibs and gluten is a trigger, so that's not the same? i was allergy tested (skin and blood) and don't have any actual allergies. oh and i've been lactose intolerant for years (before I went vegan, clearly) and so maybe that was just an early ibs sign/trigger? i have no idea.

oh and even now i'll look at a symptom list and think "oh, maybe that's what my problem is!" about a symptom. alas. http://www.webmd.com/ibs/guide/irritabl ... s-symptoms

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:05 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Why is it that your IBS-prone stomach lets you eat a burrito with spicy stuff ALL over it on Sunday and doesn't flinch for the first time in ... I don't know, forever (no bloat, no gas, no weird bowel movements),

YET you eat some french fries (made at home) and get your period before the BIG race tomorrow (10 miles) and you have the crepes and feel sick, like attack of the the IBS monster??

I would love some regularity, but it won't let me. And not so many porta-potty breaks along the way, either.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I do keep a food journal, I have since April. I can't figure out any triggers. I am on Bentyl only, 3 times a day, and my life is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better right now. We still don't know what my problem is, but that medicine helps somehow. I still get episodes of "pooing" too much and
almost vomiting (since I can stop it with Zofron now). My stomach gets very noisy before all that happens too. I am done googling though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, I have "trigger" foods but they aren't consistent. Like sometimes they will make me feel really bad and other times not so much. I think mine is largely stress related.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:12 pm 

I was diagnosed with IBS last week.I've known for years that I'm lactose and gluten intolerant but even after cutting those out things have never been normal.Sorry for the TMI,but I start each day with an urgent,yet formed bm. Then I will either have a few more urgent,very small bms through the day,or have incomplete bm's and often lots of gas and mucous.Good times!
I recently read about the FODMAP diet and began it last week.I've been carefully following the guidelines but since the first day have had 1-3 episodes of diareah EVERY NIGHT! And then a bit more in the morning. I'm not eating any new foods so I have no idea what's going on. Am ready to give up on it but am a bit afraid to suddenly add all my usual foods back in so I guess I'll slowly add them and see what happens.
Not sure where to go from here. Has anyone had success with http://www.helpforibs.com/? I figure it's worth a try right now! Also,my doctor mentioned I could take 10 mg of Elavil,which I declined because I wanted to try the diet first,but am now considering. Has anyone found thius medicine helpful? Thanks! Karen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:20 am 

hi kitty! sorry i didn't notice this earlier - i was doing pretty great for awhile and didn't check in. my big trigger seems to be gluten so i do much better when i quit gluten. i don't know about fodmap - i'll go look at it.

so i was doing great and then i ate gluten for a few days and now i'm -d for 4 or 5 days now! ugh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next