| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quick Fix Vegan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just made the stuffed pasta shells and it's AMAZING. Definitely my go-to recipe from now on. I just used a simple, generic jarred pasta sauce with it. The tofu ricotta filling was incredibly flavorful with just the right amount of sweetness coming from the golden raisins in the pulse.

I also made the corn, kidney bean, and blueberry salad with mango dressing (or whatever it's called), which is also very good. It's pretty low-cal, too, since the dressing is fat free.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:16 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I haven't made those yet, but I was wondering about the shells. Will have to try them sometime.

Last night I made the Rotini with 10-MInute Tomato-Olive Sauce and it was terrific. Oily, but so good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:49 pm 

Okay, I made a couple more:

Roasted Ratatouille -- pretty good but a little dry. I had to bake it about ten minutes more than the recipe called for.

Linguine with Artichokes and White Bean Alfredo -- good but I think the sauce would make a truly awesome party dip without the pasta.

Next up: Jerk Seitan Vegetable Skillet, Sicilian Stuffed Shells, Seitan Donburi with Unagi Sauce.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:34 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Millenijen wrote:
I just got this on my kindle, so I will be eyeing this thread to see what people have made, what they thought, etc. etc.

Same here. I bookmarked just a out every other recipe.. everything sounds fab!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:48 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Made the red lentil and chard soup last night - Delicious!

doubled the cumin and corriander (because I love those spices) and added some lemon at the end.

Very tasty, big servings (4 huge servings for the whole pot) and low calorie/high protein. Omni partner liked it a lot too. Did take more than 30 minutes to make though....maybe 40 minutes total?

Make the lemony cous cous again last week too. this one is becoming a regular rotation on busy weeknights.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:17 pm 

I made the Jerk Vegetable Skillet -- very good but not that quick for me -- and the Seitan Donburi -- good and fast but needs more veggies. I think next time I make it I'll throw in a frozen Asian vegetable mix.

I still haven't gotten to the stuffed shells but I have all the ingredients for them.

I'm also hoping to make that Chard and Lentil Soup as well as the Sweet Potato Spinach Soup again soon. I'll try doubling the cumin and coriander in the Chard and Lentil Soup since I think more wouldn't hurt it. But good to hear you liked that soup too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We've now made three recipes and I can't help but be surprised by how quickly it's ready each time!

BBQ portobello and pintos-- good, but could simmer a bit longer to flavor the beans. I think I would make some slaw as suggested next time too.

Southwestern pasta toss-- again, I think I'll follow the suggestion next time to add salsa. It was good hot for dinner and cold for lunch the next day. A healthy scoop of avocado on top was delicious.

Creamy greens soup-- this was amazing! We used mostly chard and a little spinach. I loved the creaminess from the coconut milk. For this we did follow the suggestion to add quinoa (about 2c) and white beans. There was enough for dinner and two days of lunch for each of us. The only thing I would adjust next time is 4 instead of 5 cups broth. So good!

Anyway, I am loving this book so far and the theme seems to be if there is a suggested addition, add it!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:07 pm 

Kdub -- agreed, I too made the Southwestern Pasta Toss without salsa and I think it needed something to make it more saucy.

Thanks for spreading the word about the creamy greens soup -- I may make it next week.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We made Sicilian Stuffed Shells tonight and loved them! The recipe calls for 12 shells, but we made the whole box and only had a few empty shells?? I loved all of the fresh parsley and the rasins added a nice sweetness. Definitely making these again!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:50 am 

What a coincidence, kdub, we had those on the 5th as well. Except the store was sold out of shells so I made manicotti instead. But yeah, that tofu filling with the parsley and raisins was very good. I made it extra-garlicky and it came out really well.

Also made the sweet potato spinach soup earlier in the week and it was very very good but a little too spicy for me. I think I must have cut down the cayenne pepper the first time I made it, and it was even better then. I don't think it needs quite as much kick as the recipe calls for, but otherwise it is excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:46 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I've made the indian shepherd's pie a few times and it's good. I use fire roasted tomatoes instead of plain.
I also made the sleek with some modifications and it was tasty. I'm making it again this coming week.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I won this and it came at a great time, so I'm cooking almost every dinner out of it this week, starting tonight. I'll report back with results. Also, do you guys think the salsa would work for the SW pasta? I'm kind of iffy about pasta + salsa, but don't have any good ideas for a sub.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:40 pm 

Bekki -- yes, I would use the salsa since the Southwestern Pasta came out too dry when I made it without it.

Please do let us know how your recipes come out.

I made the Rotini with 10 Minute Olive and Sun Dried Tomato Sauce this week and it was fabulous. The sauce made easily enough for a full pound of pasta so I would just ignore the 12 oz. Rotini mention.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So far so good. The SW pasta toss was really tasty and I think it would be perfect with the salsa and pasta cut back to 8-10 oz instead of 12. I still wound up eating the leftovers for lunch cold for the next several days...tossed with some guacamole I didn't even mind the lack of sauce.

The mustard tempeh was also good, although it just confirms the fact that tempeh must be steamed to be acceptable to me. But that's not the recipe's fault.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:53 am 

Glad those worked out. And yeah, steaming takes some of the bitterness out of tempeh.

I made the Portobellas Stuffed with Chickpeas and Chard tonight. They were very good but took me a long time to make. Not a "quick fix" for someone as slow in the kitchen as I am.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We had the tofu scampi the other night and WOW. My husband made it and he said it did take him right at 30 min, which means I could knock it out in 20 or so. The recipe was so simple he had virtually no hope for it, and the fact that he hates sauceless pasta only compounded the lack of enthusiasm...yet we were both blown away by how great it wound up being. Though he would have preferred a little sauce with the noodles, we both loved it as is and it made good leftovers. I highly recommend this recipe, and paired with a simple salad it would be a complete meal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We went on a little spree with this book, let's see if I can remember everything we've made...
spicy smoked portobello tacos-- we didn't have enough mushrooms, so we subbed some pintos. really good variation on tacos!
farfalle with sesame cabbage-- this was amazing! it was enough for dinner and lunch for a few days. love, love, loved it! I think we added some chickpeas too.
spicy peanut-hoisin noodles with tofu and broccoli-- hubby picked this recipe, which was also delicious. loved the veggies and it was our first time using hoisin sauce. we will be making this again!
creamy greens soup-- this was the second time we've had this. I used 1 c less broth this time to make it thicker and added quinoa and white beans again.
chard and red lentil soup-- so easy, so tasty. we've had a ton of chard from our CSA and i think i might make another batch of this and freeze it. there isn't a lot for seasoning, but it's soooo flavorful.
black bean sunburgers-- these were good, but will take some tweaking next time. the "dough" was super gooey and hard to form into patties. i think we'll blend the beans in batches to keep more texture.
curried rice and chickpea salad-- next time we'll double the dressing and add some more veggies (maybe carrots and celery), otherwise good. I love salads with mango!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:29 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Has anyone made the tropical quinoa salad? I am planning to make it this Thursday and am curious to see if anyone has already made it. The recipe sounds yummy and I am hoping to have leftovers to bring to my company picnic on Friday. They claim that they will have vegetarian food but no one in HR will tell me what that is. I suspect that it will be baked beans (which could or could possibly be not vegan) and potato chips.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:35 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have...I thought it needed something. I put more lime juice in it and that helped.

This one is similar though, and I like it better:

http://www.theppk.com/2010/04/quinoa-sa ... ans-mango/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:15 am 
Saggy Butt

spicy peanut-hoisin noodles with tofu and broccoli - I forgot to add the hoisin but this was ridiculously delicious anyhow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I wish my library had this!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:48 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Chicki wrote:
I have...I thought it needed something. I put more lime juice in it and that helped.

This one is similar though, and I like it better:

http://www.theppk.com/2010/04/quinoa-sa ... ans-mango/

Thanks Chicki! I was looking at that recipe in Veganomicon last night and decided it looked better. Sometimes Robin's recipes are a little bit bland.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:07 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Silvergirl wrote:
Has anyone made the tropical quinoa salad? I am planning to make it this Thursday and am curious to see if anyone has already made it. The recipe sounds yummy and I am hoping to have leftovers to bring to my company picnic on Friday. They claim that they will have vegetarian food but no one in HR will tell me what that is. I suspect that it will be baked beans (which could or could possibly be not vegan) and potato chips.

I've made it and really liked it after it had been in the fridge overnight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:13 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Mojo wrote:
Silvergirl wrote:

I've made it and really liked it after it had been in the fridge overnight.

Thanks Mojo. I think I may make both Robin's and Isa's versions of quinoa salad with mangos and black beans and see which I like better. This looks like it's going to be a really hot summer, so salads will be a big dinner item at my house for the next few months.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:43 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Is there a ton of seitan recipes in this book?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next