| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:40 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Yeah...I have to get to that point, I know it is for me and not for anyone else.

I set my alarm and set out my clothes for tomorrow and I will go into it with a new F you attitude.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

Shovel wrote:
Where and when does everyone run when first starting out? I am admittedly embarrassed by the run and walk routine even though I should not be. I run where teenage boys have gym (it is really next door and the closest and quietest place that is not on the street.

I know I need to do it for me....but argh...

How did you all get through the initial "walk run who is looking at me" stage, if you had one?

There's a middle school very close, so I used their track. I'm not sure if I can use it during school, though!

When it rains, which it does a lot, I use the treadmill at the gym.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:32 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've just completed this program and can tell you it is totally possible. I never in my life thought I'd be running 5K, ever. But now I can honestly say I really look forward to my runs. And I was super self conscious about stopping and starting at the beginning of the program and exercising in public in general. I would say what worked for me was going early in the morning before too many people were out and also realizing no one really is watching you. It's all in your head. Once you start running more than a few minutes at a time, you focus so much on running you stop thinking about other people. Good luck.
Oh, also, I found a good podcast at http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/ that has music that doesn't totally suck and she's great inspiration.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Couch to 5k is what turned me into a runner, too. Before I tried it, the crowning fitness achievement of my life was running 2 miles in high school. (I am 34 years old.) My sister made me do Couch to 5k, which to my amazement actually worked! And then I increased my distance little by little until I built up to 9 freaking miles! And then I hurt my leg. Ha. I'm having to take some time off right now but I'm actually sort of looking forward to having to start slow again. It's nice to know that even if my fitness level completely bottoms out I can just start from scratch with Couch to 5k again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

molly wrote:
Couch to 5k is what turned me into a runner, too. Before I tried it, the crowning fitness achievement of my life was running 2 miles in high school. (I am 34 years old.) My sister made me do Couch to 5k, which to my amazement actually worked! And then I increased my distance little by little until I built up to 9 freaking miles! And then I hurt my leg. Ha. I'm having to take some time off right now but I'm actually sort of looking forward to having to start slow again. It's nice to know that even if my fitness level completely bottoms out I can just start from scratch with Couch to 5k again.

I love hearing the positive about running. I have such a hard time with it, but I feel so elated when I finish a segment!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was meant to start week 2 yesterday afternoon, but because I have no awareness of the consequences of my actions I went and got my ribs tattooed in the morning. And now the whole area hurts when I do anything. The walk from my desk to the toilet became an old-man shuffle peppered with obscenities. And I have to wear a flimsy bikini top instead of a bra. So no running for me for a few days. So pissed, I'm actually enjoying it. BLAH.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:48 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I started today & I couldn't do it at all! I had no idea I was quite this unfit - I haven't exercised at all in over a year so it's not surprising really.

I think I'm going to have to repeat day one a few times before I can keep up with it but I still had fun even though it was pouring with rain & I'm now covered in mud! I might have to find somewhere else to run though because the park's a 25 min walk away and once you add that into the work out it's a bit much... I seriously felt like I was going to die by the time I got back.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:04 pm 
Nailed to the V

jojo - There were weeks that I repeated quite a few times in a row. That's kind of the beauty of the system, if you're not a deadline for a race or whatnot you have plenty of time to build up your endurance!

Good for you for getting out there!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm about to finish week 2, following my bra-related hiatus. It's still fun, but I think that next week sounds pretty hard.

My boyfriend is doing it as well, but he's been writing a thesis this year so he hasn't had time to exercise for a while. He's gotten pretty unfit and is finding it harder than me, so he's taking his time too, and just repeating sessions until he feels comfortable before moving on to the next one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

no way! your about to be 40? just to let you know, you most certainly dont look it.

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:20 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Just got a treadmill yesterday and plan to start doing this program tomorrow.

I got about a third of the way through the program last year but was doing it at the office. Got tired of being couped up at work so long and fellow office workers watching me through the little window of the gym door.

Tweet me @meansoybean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:10 pm 

Who? wrote:
Oh, also, I found a good podcast at http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/ that has music that doesn't totally suck and she's great inspiration.

Oh, this IS pretty good! Thanks for the heads up! Some of them are pretty awful.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:11 pm 

Steffers! wrote:
jojo - There were weeks that I repeated quite a few times in a row. That's kind of the beauty of the system, if you're not a deadline for a race or whatnot you have plenty of time to build up your endurance!

Good for you for getting out there!

Yeah, I didn't (and still don't) hesitate to repeat a week if I feel like I need it. I've also been known to add a "half step" week - e.g. adding 15 seconds of running instead of 30 seconds - between. The biggest thing is that you're moving forward.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Congrats to everyone who has started this program!

I like to believe I am a pretty big couch to 5k success story. I started the program about 2.5 years ago. At that time I couldn't run further than 2 minutes without having to stop. I like that the program starts out fairly easy and gradually increases. I definitely had to repeat a few weeks and I was so scared of running 20 minutes straight that I repeated the week before that a few times.

Once I finally reached the 5k mark I stuck with that distance for a while. I didn't think I had it in me to run further and was honestly quite content at sticking with that distance.

This past year I ran 4 half marathons and a week ago I signed up for my first full. 2 years ago I never thought I would run further than 5k. Running is definitely tough but well worth it in the end.

So good luck PPKers! Stick with it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:27 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Wow! Thank you for sharing your story -- you are an inspiration! I have about six months to get in shape for a big running event... it's super scary to me and even though (actually ESPECIALLY though) I've been a pretty serious runner in recent years, it just feels impossible. I think it's a sort of lack of confidence that comes when your body can't do what it was doing and knowing that you've let that happen to yourself... so disappointing. So it's great to read these stories. And I read all the other posts from folks who started the program back in October-December... I'd love to hear updates from anyone and everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:01 am 
Saggy Butt

another thing to remember if you're a very beginner or just getting back into exercising or coming back from an injury or whatever: sloooooooow down. when i first did c25k several years ago i started on a treadmill. my "running" portions were done at 5mph. for this reason i also feel its better to do it outside - its easier to adjust your pace as your body needs it. as opposed to setting the treadmill at 5.0 (or 5.5 or 6.0, etc.) and then feeling like you have to stick with that pace for the entire jogging interval and then the ones after. its okay to slow down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:59 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

i got the one app on my iTouch, but only did day one. i about died. inside and out. i'm not sure if it was because of the inclines in my neighborhood but there was no way i could jog/run whenever they said to. i walked most of the time and finished it 5 mins early.
i prefer being inside a gym on an elliptical, watching Project Runway...unfortunately, i am not willing to spend what little money i have right now on a gym membership.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:55 pm 
Saggy Butt

procrastinatingcook, I thought I was going to die at first too, and was thoroughly convinced that there was no way I was ever going to make it through Couch to 5K, but lo and behold I did. It gets so much better as time goes on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:50 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

i couldnt do the first day of couch to 5k initially, so i just walked for thirty minutes to get into it. its tough to start, but trudging through it, im now starting week six, which terrifies me. but i can almost do two miles without stopping. if i can do it, im very confident you can do it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:16 am 
Ninja Master

I have had the C25K app downloaded on my phone for ages and I still haven't had the guts to start doing it in the gym. I have this thing about running in front of people, especially with all the stopping and starting. Which is so stupid because no one gives a shiitake in my gym, they're all concentrating on their own workout. I need to slap myself out of it and just do it!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:14 am 
Ninja Master

I DID IT!!!

Week 1 day 1, this morning with my boss and workmate. I'm so excited, they finally helped kick me into starting it.

I must admit I struggled, but then I knew I would, I haven't run since school. By the end, 60 seconds was feeling like a long time and my breathing wasn't great. But I'm really glad I started at last.

My boss wants us to run the race for life in June (5k) but I honestly don't know how I'll ever be able to run for 20 minutes straight!! Even the though of 3 mins in week 3 is scaring me right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:58 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Good job, baps!! The most important thing is that you started. And if you have to repeat a week, which I did the first time I attempted this, it's ok. Your body is still getting stronger.

I'm thinking of starting fresh tomorrow so we can be cheerleaders for each other.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:56 am 
Ninja Master

YAY go for it.

My legs hurt today!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:02 am 
Ninja Master

I meant to say, I downloaded the android app for C25k and it was really awesome. I just left my headphones out and didn't play any music on my phone so that the 3 of us could all hear the beeps, much better than clock watching!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:34 am 
Saggy Butt

I was inspired to restart this now that the spring weather is finally coming to the Pacific NW.

I am so excited. I've had asthma for 30 years but in the last few years it's been fading away slowly until I only take my inhaler a couple of times a year. When I last did C25K, I had to take my inhaler every time before I ran.

Monday I restarted, and I ran the whole first workout without needing my inhaler! I know it's not a lot of running but that's a huge change for my body, and proof that my asthma is indeed going away.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32  Next