| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gym etiquette
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:49 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Didn't see a thread for this, so here goes.

Everyone has a list of gym grievances.

My number one? For the love of all that is holy, people really need to learn to cover up in the locker room. Yes, nekkidness is to be expected, but there are people who take it to a level that is a bit much. For example, the woman who, though she was in possession of a few perfectly good towels and standing in front of her locker full of her CLOTHES, decided to stand there naked, bend over (NAKED) multiple times to get stuff she could have gotten WITH HER CLOTHES OR A TOWEL ON (and furthermore could have grabbed in one trip as opposed to 4 or 5). Of course, she was right next to me. They always seem to be! I just don't get the folks who flaunt their junk all over. Go join a swingers club or something, sheesh.

Number two? (Heh, I said "number two".) People who read/linger while on the weight machines. Recently saw a dude lug around entire forking Sunday NY Times, taking his sweet time thumbing through the Style section or whatever while no less than three people were quite obviously waiting on the machine. I timed him: he was there for 14 minutes in order to do three sets of reps. I wanted to split his skull with a kettle bell. Save that shiitake for Starbucks, buddy.

Post subject: Re: Gym etiquette
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:05 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have two, well at least two.

People that hog the ellipticals and treadmills for over 30 minutes and aren't even working out hard enough to break a sweat, as in they are reading a magazine, wearing jeans or fancy shoes, chewing gum, eating, etc while other people are waiting to use them. If you're going to take over a machine for an hour while other people are waiting could you at least look like you are exercising?

People that don't wipe down their equipment after using it. No lie, one time when I was using a treadmill, the guy next to me sprung a nose bleed and splattered blood on his machine and the mirror in front of it. Ever since then it creeps me out that people don't wipe down their machines. The weight lifters seem to be the worst offenders at my gym. Apparently since they only use the treadmill or elliptical for 10 minutes to warm up that excuses them from having to wipe their sweat off of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

People who decided to play personal trainer with their buddies and steal gym equipment for an hour. This always happens at my gym. I just want to use the only decline bench in the gym for two minutes to do sit-ups! And you're not even using it, just hoarding it in the corner! Grrr.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Now I have even more reasons to avoid the gym!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:25 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

There's one woman I see on the elliptical all the time wearing shorts so short that her butt cheeks hang out. Unacceptable! (she is quite thin, it's just that the shorts are stupidly designed.) Also, I hate it when women take off their shirts and work out in just a sports bra - they are totally doing it just to show off. It's an all-women's gym so maybe they are just feeling comfortable enough to do it, but I still think they're showing off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:05 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

My only one is when people don't wipe down the machine after using. I could get a rash from your sweat, you know!
Other than that, everyone at my gym is a-ok.

I guess I go to a pretty non-annoying gym, or am not bothered by stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:11 pm 
Semen Strong

I hate it when people put everything they own, including their filthy shoes on the benches in front of the locker. Bench space is at a premium and sometimes its nice to be able to sit down as you get dressed.

People who leave the showers running after they've used them. I keep going in and finding showers running full blast. I saw a woman leaving and asked why she didn't turn it off because she was wasting water and she looked at me like I was crazy.

Stupid NYSports.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:32 am 
Ninja Master

Yeah I hate when people don't wipe down after themselves. There was a guy once next to me on a bike sweating buckets, BUCKETS! There were puddles on the floor, but he just got up and walked off when he was done. So forking gross.

I don't sweat that much but I still clean up after myself.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:26 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Dave the Cat wrote:
There's one woman I see on the elliptical all the time wearing shorts so short that her butt cheeks hang out. Unacceptable! (she is quite thin, it's just that the shorts are stupidly designed.) Also, I hate it when women take off their shirts and work out in just a sports bra - they are totally doing it just to show off. It's an all-women's gym so maybe they are just feeling comfortable enough to do it, but I still think they're showing off.

don't come to a brazilian gym!!!!! i've seen women work out in bikinis. (not women only)

mine is stupid but makes me nuts.

i'm running and sweating like crazy.
a woman gets on the machine next to me. she's wearing a halter-top bodysuit type thing with no bra, which seems odd as the girls are aaaaaaalmost popping out (i swear i'm not trying to look but....). but whatever, this is brazil, it's not unusual. neither is the full face of makeup, which my facial lady tells me is the cardinal sin. but now my throat is closing and i'm wheezing because it's forking JLo perfume and it's like forking mustard gas, what did she dump a bottle over her head before she got here? And there are fifteen empty treadmills, why did poison gas woman have to take the one next to ME? I forking stink like sweat, i thought it would keep her away!! I punch the panic button, flobble off the treadmill to try to get some water and learn to breathe again. She is sauntering along at 2km/hr like she's practicing the catwalk wiggle. Her waistlength hair is down and flowing and i just want to grab a handful and pull it REAL HARD and say GYMS ARE FOR WORKING OUT YOU STINKY TURD!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:31 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Other than what has already been said, I hate when people ask if they can use the machine I'm using at the moment between my sets and then it turns out it's not only that person that's going to use the machine, but also his (because it's always dudes who do this) friends. Which means I have to wait several minutes until they're done so I can do my next set. Gah!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:35 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Love Child wrote:
Other than what has already been said, I hate when people ask if they can use the machine I'm using at the moment between my sets and then it turns out it's not only that person that's going to use the machine, but also his (because it's always dudes who do this) friends. Which means I have to wait several minutes until they're done so I can do my next set. Gah!

This is why i am afraid to use the weight machines at my gym. it's always a gaggle of men (the women are all business) and i'd be pissy if the bigwig personal trainer (who is always wearing his gear from an international power lift competition) weren't a dead ringer for Hanz und Franz.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 am 
Semen Strong

Or when people leave the machines with the weights on, so you have to rerack their plates and then put on your own weights. Especially if you're a small woman and the plates weigh half what you do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:38 am 
Ninja Master

torque wrote:
And there are fifteen empty treadmills, why did poison gas woman have to take the one next to ME?

Actually this is a silly bugbear of mine. Not the smell - the empty treadmills. Why does the superfit fast runner always come stand on the treadmill right next to me when there are a tonne of free ones. peas me off.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

to be fair, i am very choosy about the treadmills- only one has incline, so i often use that one. two are kind of "squishy" and i try to avoid them, and one has numbers that don't display properly. so probably someone is saying ^^ about me (except for the "superfit" and "fast" parts!!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:23 am 
Chard Martyr

baps wrote:
Actually this is a silly bugbear of mine. Not the smell - the empty treadmills. Why does the superfit fast runner always come stand on the treadmill right next to me when there are a tonne of free ones. peas me off.
A guy did that to me today and I was not happy. There were tons of available machines but he wanted the one next to me I guess.
I also don't particularly like when people don't wipe down the machines, wear heaps of perfume, or wear just a sports bra. Or when they are talking on their phone for a long, loud time. I have taken phone calls before when necessary but keep it down and make it short.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:05 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

rohai wrote:

People that hog the ellipticals and treadmills for over 30 minutes and aren't even working out hard enough to break a sweat, as in they are reading a magazine, wearing jeans or fancy shoes, chewing gum, eating, etc while other people are waiting to use them. If you're going to take over a machine for an hour while other people are waiting could you at least look like you are exercising?

Last year, I saw a woman who had on high heels, pantyhose, a skirt, full makeup, the whole 9. She was on an elliptical. She was reading the paper and and using her Blackberry (gym policy forbids phones) the entire time she was on the machine. I have seen snails move faster. It was 6:30 PM and people were waiting. She used her entire 30 minutes on the machine, no way she could have burned more than 20 calories at the pace she was going in those 3 inch heels. Unreal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:12 am 
Nailed to the V

tgw777 wrote:
Last year, I saw a woman who had on high heels, pantyhose, a skirt, full makeup, the whole 9. She was on an elliptical. She was reading the paper and and using her Blackberry (gym policy forbids phones) the entire time she was on the machine. I have seen snails move faster. It was 6:30 PM and people were waiting. She used her entire 30 minutes on the machine, no way she could have burned more than 20 calories at the pace she was going in those 3 inch heels. Unreal.

I think I would have died laughing if I saw that. I wouldn't have been able to contain myself.

Most of the people at my gym (at least the ones who are there when I am there) are pretty clean and considerate. What irritates me is when EVERY SINGLE TV has to be tuned to whatever ball-sport is on at the time (I really hate sports). I once tried to change the channel on one TV and the dude behind me--who had an equally clear view of two TVs tuned to the same game--flipped out. "But...it's on all six TVs!" "Well, I'm watching it." Jerk.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:16 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

tgw777 wrote:

Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I don't care if someone is going slow if it's still a workout to them. There's this 90-something year old guy that uses a treadmill at my gym and he can barely step up onto the belt and he just uses it at the initial start up speed, but that's ok with me because it's probably difficult for him and good for him for trying to keep mobile. The people like the lady you are describing really drive me insane.

Oh and I have one more. People who change the channels on the TVs to something horrible. A couple of weeks ago I was watching some home remodeling show and it was the only TV on that channel, and it was directly in front of my machine. Some guy grabs the remote, gets on the machine in front of mine and changes the channel to some horrible drug cartel show. They are actually showing real footage of people being shot in the head and dead bloated bodies out in the jungle. Seriously, my workout is punishment enough I should not have to feel ill from that too. I told him I was watching the channel the TV had been on and he ignored me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:44 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I go to this class at the gym, and there's always this kid in there that does his own thing. Like, everyone else is following the instructor (as well as they can), but he's like, doing different exercises. I don't get it at all. The worst part of that is that space is at a premium in this class, so I don't understand why he can't do his own thing out on the gym floor. If you're in the class, do what we're doing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

rohai wrote:
I have two, well at least two.

Gah, I hate that. My universities rec center has around 20 treadmills and about the same number of ellipticals, so usually it's not a problem. But on those days where it is packed....

Playing off of that, I hate when people don't even use the machines they're on. There is this girl who is *always* at my gym at night. Always. I am sure there are plenty of other people who are there every night, hell I use to be there pretty much everyday before I started running outside mostly, but this is what she does: puts the treadmill to a ridiculously high grade (think need to hold the bar the whole time to keep from falling off) and at waaaay too fast a speed for the incline, and THEN JUST STANDS OVER IT FOR THE NEXT HOUR. Okay, so she walks on it some, but most of the time she'll be straddling it wiping the sweat off her face (that doesn't even exist because she is not actually using it), fiddling with her headphones, fixing her hair, drinking water, or "stretching". One time I was using a stationary bike, and she came in and got on a treadmill that was right in front of me. Out of boredom, I decided to see how much walking she actually did. It was something like 30 seconds of walking, one to two minutes of the above activities. WHY ARE YOU EVEN COMING TO THE GYM IF YOU'RE JUST GOING TO STAND THERE?

Okay, that is my rant for the day haha

Oh, and like others have said not wiping the machines off *shudders*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:22 pm 
Married to the wolfman

If there's a big sign posted with a time limit for a piece of equipment, you need to abide by it! The gym at my undergrad school had 3 treadmills, each with a huge posted sign announcing a 30 minute limit. Almost every time I went in over the course of 2 years, at least one of the treadmills would have the same person on it when I got off (after 30 minutes of running) as when I got on. Regardless of whether or not other people were lined up waiting! Really people?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:46 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

ndpittman wrote:
I go to this class at the gym, and there's always this kid in there that does his own thing. Like, everyone else is following the instructor (as well as they can), but he's like, doing different exercises. I don't get it at all. The worst part of that is that space is at a premium in this class, so I don't understand why he can't do his own thing out on the gym floor. If you're in the class, do what we're doing.

I've seen a couple of people like that at my gym too and I don't get it either. Why even pay money to go there if you don't want to follow the instructor? It makes me a bit stressed actually.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:21 am 
Nailed to the V

There's a lady at my gym who farts in the sauna. It's pretty horrid and I usually just avoid going in when she's there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:16 am 
Kale Wreath

SassyOh wrote:
There's a lady at my gym who farts in the sauna. It's pretty horrid and I usually just avoid going in when she's there.

I can't imagine how nasty that must be, but it made me giggle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:20 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Oh, yes, cellphone users! Why even bring your phone into the gym? Leave it in your damn locker, you're there to work out. Cell phones make people take longer on machines, and just be generally annoying.