| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:44 pm 
Offline
Has Isa on speed dial
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:48 pm
Posts: 89
Location: San Francisco
I just picked up the smoked cashew cheese today and I can't wait to share it with friends! Anyone else tried it yet?

http://www.punkrawklabs.net/cheeses.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:37 am 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7727
Location: Portland
Where did you get it?

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:49 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 1464
Vegansaurus said rainbow was going to be carrying it.

_________________
Like the beleaguered people of sub-Saharan Africa, I'll just go to Denny's. Solidarity!
-mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:03 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10648
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
I WANT IT.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 am 
Offline
Has Isa on speed dial
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:48 pm
Posts: 89
Location: San Francisco
Got it at Rainbow, in the veggie cheese section. They had the smoked Mac nut for $16, and the cashew, and smoked cashew for $10.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:02 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10648
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Change is constant wrote:
Got it at Rainbow, in the veggie cheese section. They had the smoked Mac nut for $16, and the cashew, and smoked cashew for $10.

Yikes, so it is Dr. Cow prices.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:19 pm 
Offline
Has Isa on speed dial
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:48 pm
Posts: 89
Location: San Francisco
Yikes, is right, but maaannn it's good. The texture is creamy and smooth, it's got a nice mild pungent bite. I will be sharing this with omni's, but only the really cool ones.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:29 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10648
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
I finally tried it. It is SO salty. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but given the prohibitive price I think I'll pass in the future.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:01 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5776
Location: A New England
vijita wrote:
Change is constant wrote:
Got it at Rainbow, in the veggie cheese section. They had the smoked Mac nut for $16, and the cashew, and smoked cashew for $10.
Yikes, so it is Dr. Cow prices.
That is steep.
vijita wrote:
I finally tried it. It is SO salty. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but given the prohibitive price I think I'll pass in the future.
I was never impressed with Dr Cow. It wasn't so much that I didn't like it as that it didn't suggest "cheese: to me; if anything, it sort of reminded me of savory halvah...not what I was expecting/looking forward to when I first tried it. Is the Punk Rawk Labs stuff similar in ways other than redonkulous expensiveness?

_________________
I will read all sorts of tripe and am great at suspension of disbelief, but when characters start getting the hots for serial killer ghosts, I'm out. ~ lavawitch
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com
http://earlymoderntimes.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:07 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10648
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Desdemona wrote:
vijita wrote:
Change is constant wrote:
Got it at Rainbow, in the veggie cheese section. They had the smoked Mac nut for $16, and the cashew, and smoked cashew for $10.
Yikes, so it is Dr. Cow prices.
That is steep.
vijita wrote:
I finally tried it. It is SO salty. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but given the prohibitive price I think I'll pass in the future.
I was never impressed with Dr Cow. It wasn't so much that I didn't like it as that it didn't suggest "cheese: to me; if anything, it sort of reminded me of savory halvah...not what I was expecting/looking forward to when I first tried it. Is the Punk Rawk Labs stuff similar in ways other than redonkulous expensiveness?

I actually kind of like Dr. Cow better. It is creamier than Dr. Cow, so no halvah texture, but it just kind of tastes like salt. I would only spring for Dr. Cow again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:09 pm 
Online
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:15 pm
Posts: 2574
I saw it at Food Fight and thought about it for a minute then remembered that sometimes jdfunks lets me eat her homemade cheese for free so whatever.

_________________
"No one with hair so soft and glossy could ever be bad at anything." - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:27 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10648
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
strawberryrock wrote:
I saw it at Food Fight and thought about it for a minute then remembered that sometimes jdfunks lets me eat her homemade cheese for free so whatever.

Snap. <3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:48 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:09 pm
Posts: 540
Location: Minneapolis
They're MN-based and were sampling it at a co-op here, on crackers and stuffed in dates. I thought it was delicious. Expensive for sure...Made me want to start trying my hand at the artesian cheese cookbook.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:41 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 1464
I like them better than Dr Cow (which I also like). I like that it's slightly softer (and I want to say creamier tasting) than Dr Cow and for (slightly) less money by weight.

Making cheese like from AVC is the way to go though.

_________________
Like the beleaguered people of sub-Saharan Africa, I'll just go to Denny's. Solidarity!
-mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:56 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Posts: 389
Garrick, were they sampling at Seward? I just saw it there today, but for those prices I want to know I like it first...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:31 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:26 pm
Posts: 793
Location: Denver
I think it's effing delicious! The smoked kind is bomb dot com. Nooch has it for $14, I think.

_________________
Whoa Wren


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:27 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:37 pm
Posts: 69
Location: minneapolis area
Garrick wrote:
They're MN-based and were sampling it at a co-op here, on crackers and stuffed in dates. I thought it was delicious. Expensive for sure...Made me want to start trying my hand at the artesian cheese cookbook.


Hi Garrick,
I too would be interested to know where this was....? :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:04 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:09 pm
Posts: 540
Location: Minneapolis
Yup, the two founders were sampling it at Seward.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Punk Rawk Labs nut milk cheese
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:56 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:47 pm
Posts: 103
I've had it a couple of times and liked it a lot - very tangy. I've tried the cashew plain, herbed, and smoked. The herbed was my favorite. It isn't something I could afford to buy regularly, but I realize that nuts aren't cheap. (The cashew cheeses are less expensive than the ones with macadamia nuts for obvious reasons.) And of course, there's the labor involved for a small company. On the plus side, you get twice as much as with Dr. Cow - 5 ounces versus 2.5 ounces. It's something I think of as a special occasion item, and when I figure I'd spend that amount for a bottle of wine for a dinner party or whatnot, it's not so bad. It's the kind of impressive cheese I'd be eager to share with non-vegans, but the only problem is, I wouldn't want to share! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Amy and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer