| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sticky Fingers' Sweets
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

The chocolate cake I made from this book turned out great. I topped it with the Mexican hot chocolate frosting, which I loved, but for people that don't like a lot of heat the 2 tsp of cayenne suggested in the recipe is a bit much. My brother took the cake to work and his meat-loving co-workers were raving like crazy over it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:42 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made the Cowvins today. They seem kind of bland (for my taste, anyway) but my husband loooooves them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:18 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

The oatmeal cookies are really good and make a lot!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the Bourbon Caramel sauce and it just didn't work at all. It tastes great but there is no way it is going to set up enough to be useful. I was careful with all measurements and double checked since I know candy making is fussy. And I used a candy thermometer and pulled it off at 240 degrees. Is there any way to salvage cooled, thin caramel sauce?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:06 pm 

bekki wrote:
I made the Bourbon Caramel sauce and it just didn't work at all. It tastes great but there is no way it is going to set up enough to be useful. I was careful with all measurements and double checked since I know candy making is fussy. And I used a candy thermometer and pulled it off at 240 degrees. Is there any way to salvage cooled, thin caramel sauce?

What a bummer! I would try whisking a little cornstarch into a little cool water to make a slurry, and whisk this into the hot caramel sauce. Cook until thickened. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Eh, it never did thicken up to a proper caramel, but it is tasty, so I'll test it out in a few cupcakes. I love the concept I just think next time I'll try it without the water and go from there. I say this because my sugar also didn't brown at all before reaching 240, and I think that would be another layer of good flavor. The icing and the cinnamon cupcakes are super.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:49 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I thought the red velvet cupcakes were weird. The texture was almost chewy. Just really strange. I made them during a bake-a-thon for a bakesale and was pretty stressed out, so maybe I did something wrong. I'll have to try them again sometime, but my first impression was not good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:09 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I am awaiting this in the mail- so excited!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The brownies are awesome. Possibly my new favorite brownie recipe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Pinko wrote:
The brownies are awesome. Possibly my new favorite brownie recipe.

Is it better than the Sweet Pea recipe?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:19 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I've now made two recipes from Doron's cookbook-chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal raisin cookies-and damn, are they good. Warning-both recipes made enough cookies to feed an army of large giants. My co-workers ain't complainin' though! Her recipes are somewhat more time consuming but the extra work definitely pays off. Buy this book!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:46 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I made the chocolate stout cake with chocolate frosting on Monday- awesome. I didn't make the ganache as I was out of creamer, but it didn't even need it. The cake was ridiculously moist. I fed it to coworkers who all loved it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:04 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I got this book a while ago and made the chocolate love cake! The cake itself was so good, however I tried the mocha frosting and felt like it just tasted like pure shortening. It was also kind of clumpy; it just didn't taste right. This might have been my error, but I think if I make it again i'm going to replace the shortening with margarine and see how that works. Or just stick with my vctotw frosting recipes:)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:58 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

ashley wrote:
I thought the red velvet cupcakes were weird. The texture was almost chewy. Just really strange. I made them during a bake-a-thon for a bakesale and was pretty stressed out, so maybe I did something wrong. I'll have to try them again sometime, but my first impression was not good.

Did you over mix the batter? I only ask because I've made the white & chocolate cupcakes from VCTOTW a number of times (and they're wonderful) but the time I used my hand mixer, the cupcakes were chewy and even the flavor wasn't as good. From now on I will only mix by hand the cupcakes from VCTOTW.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Have you guys made the sweet and salty chocolate chip cookies? I always get them when I visit the bakery and they are so delicious. My mom asked for the recipe after I made them for her!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:07 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I love the chocolate chip cookies. My daughter said she thinks they're better than the Nestle recipe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the regular vanilla cake today with homemade rainbow chips (http://notwithoutsalt.com/2011/02/28/ho ... chip-cake/) for Easter. The cake was really good and didn't have the coarser texture I've tended to find with vegan vanilla cake. I think I let it go just a couple minutes too long, but overall success! I still use Isa's icing recipe, though. I just can't get down with using almost all shortening with just a dash of EB.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

I made the Strawberry Lemonade Whoopie Pies today. They came out looking more like biscuits with candy cane sauce. They're really good, though! I just wish they actually came out like whoopie pies. I don't have the tools that she calls for in the book so I'm going to assume that's why they came out the way that they did.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:07 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The strawberry frosting recipe is so good. I tried making strawberry frosting before and it never turned right. Then i made this one and i just wanted to eat spoonfuls of it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:11 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Has anyone made the NY Style Cheesecake Cupcakes before? I want to try them for Easter this weekend, but I'm hesitant to spend $12 on all the tubs of cream cheese and sour cream it calls for before hearing a review.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:39 pm 

I made the raspberry frosting this weekend and it was REALLY good, although I agree that I might use a little more EB and less shortening than she calls for. It was a little too shortening-y, if that makes sense. But wow, cooking down the raspberries and blending with the frosting - that was a revelation!

I also tried to make a lemon cake by adding some zest & juice to her classic vanilla cake recipe, and I don't know if I just overbaked it or if the lemon juice messed it up somehow, but it was really dry. But, it was still good with raspberry frosting!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:37 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I baked the Chocolate Love Cake into cupcakes last night, and it is honestly the best chocolate cake recipe I've ever made. They were perfect! Rich, firm yet light and fluffy. Love!!
This morning I made the blueberry muffins though, and they were super dense and not good at all. I don't know what went wrong, because I know I didn't overmix. Maybe I misread the dry ingredients or something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:51 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Pinko wrote:
I made the Cowvins today. They seem kind of bland (for my taste, anyway) but my husband loooooves them.

I almost buy this book all the time because of this recipe, but I've heard they're disappointing. For now I will continue to trek to DC to get them. Sounds like I need to try these chocolate chip cookies though!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:22 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm so stoked. I made the basic cheesecake, and it was yum! But the real treat was that I made it with homemade cream cheese from Miyoko's Artisan vegan cheese book. It was so tasty and came together quickly and easily.
Definitely making it again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:53 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

bekki wrote:

My boubron caramel sauce didn't work either. The sugar kinda separated, so it wasn't smooth at all. Oh well. The George Carmelian Cupcakes still totally ROCKED without the caramel. I put a lot less bourbon in though, cos i don't really like bourbon. But the few teaspoons in the frosting was delicious.