| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good cat weight loss food?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I brought Olivia, one of my kitties, in for her annual check-up and vaccines today. Everything went really well, but she has become a bit of a chubster in the year I have had her. He recommended putting her on a weight loss (not the same as weight control) food - anyone have a good recommendation that is relatively easy to find? I'm close to a couple of pet stores that have wide varieties, so I should be able to get most suggestions. She is on Blue Buffalo right now, but the caloric content is far too high for her (good for my other kitty), and even their weight food is too high. Thanks ppk!

Post subject: Re: Good cat weight loss food?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:34 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have my cats on Wellness Healthy Weight for their dry food, my understanding is that its for both, weight loss and maintenance. They are doing well on it and have been eating it for three years or so. I have to feed them diet food since one of my cats (the brown tabby) had pancreatitis a few years ago and cannot have a cat food with regular amounts of fat in it.

Last edited by rohai on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

You might try just feeding her all wet food. It's lower in carbs and higher in water -- both good things.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:47 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

rohai, your kitties are so beautiful! Luna hasn't had any weight problems but I can +1 on Wellness as a great brand for kitty food.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:21 pm 
WRETCHED

We use Royal Canin and my kitty lost 1 lb over 5-6 months.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:33 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

rabidchild wrote:
You might try just feeding her all wet food. It's lower in carbs and higher in water -- both good things.

This is what my vet recommended, too. My cat will eat herself sick if I leave out dry food. I switched to twice a day feeding wet food and she lost the weight and has kept it off for about 8 years now. She ate wellness for a long time, but vet said she had too many patients with crystals in the urine from wellness. Now she has to eat special bladder health food.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:48 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Butternut wrote:
rabidchild wrote:

She ate wellness for a long time, but vet said she had too many patients with crystals in the urine from wellness. Now she has to eat special bladder health food.

2 of our cats (a male and a female) both kept getting crystals on the wellness, although the other 2 (both female) did not. we switched everyone to PetGuard, but i am not too sure if they make a light food. we feed them less though and it's helping with their weight. we also started getting them to move more - got a laser pointer and some fun toys we use to interact with them and get them playing. that helps too, i believe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:06 am 

I fed my 11-year-old giiiiiiiant Maine Coon Evo Weight Management dry food when he started to get a bit hefty (I was free-feeding, which was dumb) and the pounds just melted away. He lost about 4-5 pounds over the course of 3 months and is now the very picture of kitty health. He clearly prefers the taste of their other types of food to the weight management kind -- maybe it's lower in fat or something? -- but I just alternate bags of 'regular' food with the weight management stuff and it works out fine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:35 am 

Thanks for the advice everyone!

linanil wrote:

This is what I ended up going with. It's the type the vet originally recommended, and after reading a million different labels for kcal/cup of food, this one was the lowest in decent quality food. She is still going to get about a tbsp of wet food everyday day as well to supplement, but I think this is the best choice for her - everything else that was supposed to be weight loss food was actually weight maintenance and was high in calories.
The vet said I can take her in to weigh her every month to track her progress with no charge, so I think I can monitor her easily this way to make sure she is losing the weight! :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:26 am 

Glad you found something that will work. Like what the others have said, giving wet food as well is a great idea for so many reasons (weight loss, less urinary issues due to more liquid in the diet, less carbohydrates and filler). My cats eat half their volume of food as wet, and half as dry. I also like doing it that way since I kind of worry that one particular food may be too high or too low in some nutrient or have a nutrient profile that may cause issues for some kitties (like the comments about Wellness and crystals). My cats have not had that issue, and actually my vet is the one that chose that dry food, but the other half of their diet is a prescription wet food for cats with digestive issues. I always hope that if you feed two brands you reduce problems from deficiencies or excesses in one brand or the other.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:42 am 
WRETCHED

Robynn wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone!

linanil wrote:

This is what I ended up going with. It's the type the vet originally recommended, and after reading a million different labels for kcal/cup of food, this one was the lowest in decent quality food. She is still going to get about a tbsp of wet food everyday day as well to supplement, but I think this is the best choice for her - everything else that was supposed to be weight loss food was actually weight maintenance and was high in calories.
The vet said I can take her in to weigh her every month to track her progress with no charge, so I think I can monitor her easily this way to make sure she is losing the weight! :)

Lots of luck! Our vet actually gave her a year to lose 1 lb (she was 9 lbs, needed to be 8 lbs) but it did pretty well. She was not happy with a reduction of food and this seemed like what made her happiest. I also do wet food sometimes but its tricky because I can't feed them wet food in the morning. If I do, they will do everything in their power to make breakfast at 3am, 4am, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:44 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

happyfaced wrote:
Butternut wrote:
rabidchild wrote:

She ate wellness for a long time, but vet said she had too many patients with crystals in the urine from wellness. Now she has to eat special bladder health food.

2 of our cats (a male and a female) both kept getting crystals on the wellness, although the other 2 (both female) did not. we switched everyone to PetGuard, but i am not too sure if they make a light food. we feed them less though and it's helping with their weight. we also started getting them to move more - got a laser pointer and some fun toys we use to interact with them and get them playing. that helps too, i believe.

Ack! I'm feeding my cat Wellness! *sigh* I spent days researching cat food, too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:27 pm 

Muppet wrote:
Ack! I'm feeding my cat Wellness! *sigh* I spent days researching cat food, too.

I just had the exact same thought! So far we're doing good and Frisbee likes it so I'm going to keep using Wellness.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:26 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

rabidchild wrote:

This. One of my cats was a little on the hefty side and when I started feeding him wet-only for unrelated urinary tract issues, he slimmed right down. I use Weruva grain-free.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I wish I could remember the name of it, but there's this ball that you can put kibble in, and they have to smack it around to get it out... so your cat has to exert some energy to get the food out. I wouldn't put ALL their food in there... maybe just breakfast or even half of a meal?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I brought Fry in for shots today and he is now 15 lbs. Jeremy is 16 lbs and while he genuinely has a stockier build, he needs to lose also. Chewie should still gain a couple pounds and the other three are about just right. I'm in the process of switching them all to Nutrisource senior/weight loss formula. Six cats are hard to supervise during feeding and some (okay- Fry and Jeremy) eat more than their fair share. Realistically I don't have the space or free time to feed them all separately. Anyone have suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:17 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

fatcat wrote:
I brought Fry in for shots today and he is now 15 lbs. Jeremy is 16 lbs and while he genuinely has a stockier build, he needs to lose also. Chewie should still gain a couple pounds and the other three are about just right. I'm in the process of switching them all to Nutrisource senior/weight loss formula. Six cats are hard to supervise during feeding and some (okay- Fry and Jeremy) eat more than their fair share. Realistically I don't have the space or free time to feed them all separately. Anyone have suggestions?

Actually, I would strongly suggest not putting them on a senior/weight loss formula. The real difference between senior/weight loss formulas and "normal" ones are senior/weight loss ones are higher in carbs, which for cats (especially ones that are already over weight) is the exact opposite of what you should do. With cats, you want the lowest carb food possible. Grain free, low plant matter wet is best (not just because of weight loss, but it's shown to help lower the incidence of lots of common diet related diseases--diabetes, crystals, ect.), but I imagine with six cats that would be hard to swing. Just feeding my two all wet is expensive, for six cats the cost would probably get a bit insane. If you're vet was the one who suggested the weight loss formula, most vets know diddly squat about pet nutrition. According to my vet I should be feeding my diabetic cat a dry food with four times the carbs than in her canned to keep her "healthy." Thanks, but I'd consider her being off insulin healthy, not getting multiple injections a day to keep her sugar levels in check. Sigh...

Anyway, the best thing to do if you're feeding dry is to go with a grain free kibble, Acana and Orijen are good ones. Feed the lower range of the suggested amount (they tend to be on the high side anyway), and split it into two feedings a day. For Chewie, take him aside and offer him a bit extra if you can, but don't free feed. Just give a set amount in the morning and evenings. That hopefully should help the two that need to lose a little weight. Good luck!

(Note, the "you"'s in the beginning of the first paragraph are general, not directed specifically at you :) )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Simply_Love wrote:
Anyway, the best thing to do if you're feeding dry is to go with a grain free kibble, Acana and Orijen are good ones. Feed the lower range of the suggested amount (they tend to be on the high side anyway), and split it into two feedings a day

Orijen is great. It seems expensive (at least it is over here), but you only need to feed a small amount to keep them satisfied. It took our kitty a long time to loose her weight because she is very loud when she is hungry and both my boyfriend and I work from home a lot, so we could not feed her very little. We would measure her allowance of food in a jar and feed her like 35-37 grams a day. Her weight is now good (about 8 pounds) and she gets 40 grams which gets her through the day very nicely. We buy the food in 14 pound bags and those last for 6 months, so the cost is not very high.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Cornelie wrote:
Simply_Love wrote:
Anyway, the best thing to do if you're feeding dry is to go with a grain free kibble, Acana and Orijen are good ones. Feed the lower range of the suggested amount (they tend to be on the high side anyway), and split it into two feedings a day

Orijen is great. It seems expensive (at least it is over here), but you only need to feed a small amount to keep them satisfied. It took our kitty a long time to loose her weight because she is very loud when she is hungry and both my boyfriend and I work from home a lot, so we could not feed her very little. We would measure her allowance of food in a jar and feed her like 35-37 grams a day. Her weight is now good (about 8 pounds) and she gets 40 grams which gets her through the day very nicely. We buy the food in 14 pound bags and those last for 6 months, so the cost is not very high.

Yep! That is a really important thing to mention. The cost per pound of brands like Orijen and Acana may be twice or more of other brands, BUT when you look at the number of meals you're getting per pound, the cost will usually even out, if not be less.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:11 pm 

Orijen is a great food, but really be careful with the portion size when trying to get a cat to lose weight. Because the quality of the food is so high, the caloric content is also quite high. My one cat is fine on this type of food, and my chubbier cat can't eat it as even the smallest amount I could give her is too high calorie (mind you, she has been on a super low calorie diet since November and has yet to lose a gram - at least she hasn't gained weight?!?!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Our vet told us that they type of food doesn't matter. But that we should only give our big kitty 1 measured cup of food a day and play with her as much as possible. Although he did tell us about some prescribed food we could get. But she lost 1.5 pounds over 6 months. She is due for a check up, so I'm not sure if she lost any more weight yet or not.

The problem I am having now is keeping her out of the other cats food. How do you separate eating with two cats? They are both eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness cat food. http://www.bluebuffalo.com/cat-food/wilderness-salmon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:28 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I had success with Wellness and but eventually I stopped it after several years when one of my cats developed diabetes. I am starting Evo weight loss for one of my cats now I will let you know if it helps. One thing I would suggest that I did not persist with in recent years is keeping a cat unless it's really skinny on weight loss food after 1 year old. I've had as many as seven cats and they all stayed skinny. The cat I have that is a little chunky (she is about 9-10 lbs but meets the feline guidelines for being overweight) started with her problem due to 2 factors one I left a family member in charge of my cat's care on vacation. He was supposed to come check on them everyday from what I can tell he left lots of water and food and hardly came back. So she gorged herself she was fat when we came back. Also I have been using Science Diet Mature because one cat has insufficient kidney funtion and she was on the edge of being the right age to eat it so I just switched all my cats to it. I think it has caused her to keep on weight too. It is good for getting better kidney values if your cat has that problem. I always thought it was garbage food and I still don't care for it but it did improve kidney values on my cat with the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:36 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Sigh. Checking in.

I have one very fat cat (and getting fatter) and two slim kitties. One of the cats has a behavior/anxiety issue and will not come down from the attic, so we have to feed her up there. I try to stick to a decent amount of food for each cat at feeding time (a bit under 1/2 a cup each), but fat cat eats the other cats' food, and I haven't been able to figure out any way to get her to stop.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:58 am 
WRETCHED

jordanpattern wrote:
Sigh. Checking in.

I have one very fat cat (and getting fatter) and two slim kitties. One of the cats has a behavior/anxiety issue and will not come down from the attic, so we have to feed her up there. I try to stick to a decent amount of food for each cat at feeding time (a bit under 1/2 a cup each), but fat cat eats the other cats' food, and I haven't been able to figure out any way to get her to stop.

Make feeding time very specific. Lock fat cat into bathroom and feed here there. At end of feeding time, pick up everyone's bowls.

It is a pain but it works. We actually lock our skinny cat in the bathroom because she can take a while.