| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sarasota, FL
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm moving to Sarasota next month and I'm stupidly excited about it! I've been in CO for two years, and I hate, hate, hate the cold weather. I'm ready to be back in a perma-summer climate!

So how's Sarasota on the food front? Looks like there's a Whole Foods, and they just got word that Trader Joe's is coming sometime in the next year, which is pretty awesome. Does anyone have any must-try restaurants?

I'll definitely be making my way up to Tampa from time to time, and I've been lurking the Tampa Bay thread for ideas.

I can't wait to be back in FL!

Post subject: Re: Sarasota, FL
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:31 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Oh hey! I live (well, will be as of April) right on top of 'ya in Bradenton! Maybe you and I can get together and have vegan dinners together! My roomie isn't a veggie and all of my friends are of the hurr durr bacon variet (Dog love 'em). I know Jimmy John's isn't vegan, but they CAN make you a good veggie sandwich, better than subway.

Tampa field trips? Aww yeaah.

And I had no idea we were getting a TJ. It'll be like Chrismukkah came early! So glad there's someone else in SRQ who's a veggie too!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:16 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

When I visited Sarasota several years ago, I found this guide very helpful: http://www.vegsarasota.com/restaurant.php

The meal at El Toro Bravo was my favorite, but I did dine at Taste of Asia several times during my trip.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:32 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Sahara is a great middle eastern place. Many places have a few dishes but I don't remember many dedicated vegan places. I think that you could get something vegan at tijuana flats too. Def, check out the whole foods - they have a great prepared food section. Pretty sure there's a vegan meetup monthly too ^-^ Enjoy Sarasota - it's a beautiful place. Love the botanical garden (selby gardens) and the amazing orchid collection.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:49 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm a Sarasota native and go back to visit family every year. Thankfully the vegan scene is getting better there. They mainly seem to add raw options, which I don't tend to like as much, but that's better than nothing. Mi Pueblo's University Blvd location has a vegan raw menu. I've gone there twice, but found i didn't enjoy it as much the second time.
Mostly I find myself going to Whole Foods. I go to Sahara's as well, but I don't like that place as much as my sister does. Simon's Coffeehouse has a couple options (more so for breakfast than for lunch). I meant to try Veg, but never got to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I went to college in sarasota, but am from elsewhere in the south, and had lived in florida for years before that. I'm sure you already moved there and are finding out things for yourself, but there are quite a lot of vegans at least where I went to school, and therefore, good food options around intermingled with those that are not. Unfortunately Taste of Asia has relocated somewhere besides downtown, but I think they're still open and have amazing food and a seperate vegan menu. There is also Pho Cali for vietnamese food which has good stuff and will make it without fish sauce if you ask, but be sure to ask to be on the safe side. A few coffee shops such as Big Es and the Coffee loft are around on north 41 which are good places to hang out and work, and have some vegan sweets. How do you like it so far?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Taste of Asia is on Siesta Key right now, but moving again soon to a permanent home. I've been there twice now, and it's probably one of my favorites. I've also been to El Toro Bravo a couple of times, and I've decided that's my official go-to for Mexican.

Overall, I am LOVING Sarasota! I'm so, so happy to be in Florida and back in beach-land (yes, even in July humidity!).

Also, that restaurant guide posted earlier has been a fantastic resource! I've got it bookmarked on my phone, so it's available when I just want to check out something new.

I appreciate everyone's tips!