| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soy-free, gluten-free, make-ahead, freezer-friendly meals?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My sister, who has a 4 1/2 year old and a baby on the way, is about to be a single parent much of the week. She works full-time and my niece won't eat stews or soups, so chili and lentil soup and etc are out. Could anyone suggest some soy-free, gluten-free recipes that can sit in the fridge for the work-week or easy make-ahead meals that she can pull out from the freezer?

Post subject: Re: Soy-free, gluten-free, make-ahead, freezer-friendly meal
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:10 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

frozen burgers save my butt during the week- i use various types of beans, shredded carrot and onion, spices and some type of "filler"- i use oat flour, cornmeal, etc. she might use whatever GF flour works. a little bit of liquid if needed to make them workable. i form them into patties and bake them, flip when one side is golden, bake til done and then freeze and take out as needed.

i don't really use a fixed recipe but any loaf recipe (loaf generator, i'm thinking) can be made into patties.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I cook rice in veg broth and add whatever veggies I have on hand and some chickpeas. I throw in a little earth balance or olive oil & lemon juice depending on veggies. Garlic if you can have garlic breath at work! I try to avoid it. I basically make a vat of rice-veggies-beans thing and it makes meals for most of my week. Or rice pasta can be made with marinara & veggies or as a cold salad with assorted veg & beans. That may be boring but it's easy! Also, having a bunch of hummus, veggies, olives and rice crackers on hand makes for a decent lunch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:15 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I would say that the best approach would be to keep it simple. Some ideas, though not all would need to be kept in the freezer:

- Black beans and rice
- Salad greens, washed and dried (though not a freezer thing, should last a week in the fridge, conservatively)
- Already boiled and de-cobbed corn in a bag
- Brown rice macaroni in dayia cheez sauce
- Already peeled, cooked and chunked butternut squash or pumpkin (to be eaten with rice, corn, beans, daiya, etc.)...can get already chopped and peeled in a bag at Trader Joe's, etc.
- "Spanish" style brown rice - plain or in stuffed bell peppers topped with a bit of tomato sauce and daiya and broiled
- Brown rice tortillas (for salad + black beans and rice wraps or burritos)
- A boatload of already cut up broccoli, cauliflower, etc. (to be eaten raw or steamed, frozen or not)
- Pesto to throw on some brown rice pasta or steamed veggies or bean balls
- Already prepared marinara sauce
- Bean balls
- Bean burgers
- Hummus and/or some dips (tahini, lemon, etc.) for veggies and wraps
- Pre-made pans of hot dishes like cashew ricotta lasagna and veggie (or squash) + daiya enchiladas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:39 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

My nanny kids love franks and beans. I'm not sure if there are soy free vegan hot dogs, but maybe you could freeze baked beans with a kid friendly protein added?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:41 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Creamy chickpea tahini casserole (google it) would be perfect for this. Shepherd's pie. Tacos in corn tortillas.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks, you all! I'll compile this and get it to her. I'd love more ideas if people have them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i cook & cut up a bunch of goodies to mix and match throughout the week when i know things are going to be crazy. for instance:

proteins: roasted chickpeas, cooked black beans or black-eyed peas, i love making croquettes of some sort, or bean balls, falafel, etc.

grains: cooked quinoa, brown rice, or millet

veggies 'n such: roasted broccoli, shredded raw beets & carrots, torn kale & chopped collards (makes 'em that much easier to saute up in a hurry), avocados (awesome on most things), tomatoes, cucs, etc.

more awesomeness: chopped parsley, cilantro, scallions, etc.

sauces: i'll make a tahini dressing (lemon juice-tamari-tahini), balsamic reduction, or something spicy 'n fun

then i make grain bowls with toppings and proteins in my choosing!

examples:
- chickpea bowls over brown rice with sauteed greens, cilantro, scallions, avocado 'n tahini dressing
- quinoa bowls with croquettes, sauteed greens, shredded beets 'n carrots and a balsamic reduction
- black-eyed peas over millet with collards and tomatoes
- falafel over quinoa with tahini sauce, parsley, cilantro, tomatoes, scallions, avocado

it's a bunch of cooking, but it only takes me 2 hours on a sunday and it holds us over for a few days!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:17 pm 
Cranky

There's a stickied thread in the playground, much of which could be adapted to her specific requirements.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:42 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

For a private chef-ing gig, I had similar requirements- a child's palate, gluten-free, soy-free, but also corn free and low sodium.

-Homemade frozen pizza, though store bought frozen crusts with purchased sauce and daiya will do. For fully homemade frozen pizza, pre-bake crusts alone ever so slightly, add raw toppings when they're at room temperature and transfer onto cardboard rounds to keep them stable, place them in the freezer uncovered until completely frozen, double wrap in plastic wrap and the larger freezer ziplock plastic bag you can find. Bake at 425 for 10 -15 minutes.

-Homemade 'hot pockets,' calzones, empanadas, pastels, arepas, savory handpies and pasties (like cornish style slices, sausage and apple in a 'cheddar' crust, mushroom and spinach, poultry pot pie filled, etc.), and knishes. There are endless options for these in terms of dough and filling, they can be wrapped and reheated individually.

-Homemade frozen pigs-in-a-blanket, but you'll have to make your own soy free gluten free sausage. These are best fully baked and frozen.

-Homemade frozen burritos. Grilled veggies, refried beans, spanish rice, cheesey stuff for filling. Wrap well in aluminum foil for optimum reheating in the oven.

-Baked eggplant, and chickpea cutlet parmesan. Reheating in the oven is preferable, a microwave will do.

-Vegetable gratins.

-If you/she do/does make mac and cheese, baked mac and cheese recipes seem to work best for freezing and re-heating in the oven. Pumpkin/winter squash-cashew-noochy sauces I prefer to daiya.

-Quiche. Either in full form with gf pastry, or in mini crustless quiche form- I'd recommend the later, sometimes there can be unpleasant textural changes upon reheating a full quiche. It can be done many ways without tofu. Chickpea flour, tahini, mashed potato and/or potato starch, and nutritional yeast can do the trick, gf oats or buckwheat flakes or quinoa flakes pureed with soaked cashews, pureed zuchhini and soaked nuts, etc. Bake them off, wrap in packs of 4-6 with cling wrap twice, then aluminum foil.

-Since kids tend to like cute, mini foods- vegetable based croquettes (especially broccoli and cheese, though pureed cauliflower and lentils also were popular with the kiddies), mini 'tamale' bites made in a muffin pan, faux chicken nuggets made from white beans or lima beans and cauliflower, in almond meal coating, polenta/millet/amaranth/panisse fries or bites.

-Certain side dishes can easily be made in advance and frozen in single servings. For example, any mashed root vegetable dish can be prepared, scooped with an ice cream scoop onto a pan, frozen until solid, popped into a bag for less bulky storage. Reheat in the microwave.

Hope this helps!