| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 30th Birthday - 48 hours in NYC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:19 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I was struggling between going to Farm Sanctuary or spending a weekend in NYC for my big 3-0 in a couple of weeks, but I think I've settled on NYC. The bf has basically said to give him a list of options for what I'd like to do and he'll plan - which sounds great to me!

What can I squeeze into 2 days? I've been to NYC 3 or 4 times, but all were 24 hrs or less for work trips or drive-thru road trips. So here is what I'd love to know - if you had 2 days in NYC, what top 3 restaurants would you go to, top 3 bars (what can I say, I like to drink) top 3 stores (vegan-friendly clothing stores, etc) and top 3 tourist attractions (or shows, etc)?

For restaurants, I'm more of a stick-to-your-ribs gal than a raw-foodie. Also, where should we stay? Lower to Middle of the road price-range.

Post subject: Re: My 30th Birthday - 48 hours in NYC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:59 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

could you give us a better idea of what your budget is like and what your interests are?

Candle 79 is possibly the most highly regarded vegetarian restaurant in NYC, so i'd make it a point to go there. i've only been there twice, as it's quite expensive, but everything i've had has been really good. they have a good number of hearty options (like seitan) in addition to "healthy" dishes like salads.

some places definitely worth checking out in Manhattan: Lula's Sweet Apothecary (vegan ice cream) in the east village and Babycakes (vegan & wheat-free bakery) in the lower east side.

if you can get to Brooklyn, there's Pine Box Rock Shop (vegan bar), Dun-Well Doughnuts, Foodswings (vegan fast food), Champs Family Bakery, Barcade (not sure how vegan-friendly it is, but it's a cool place, especially if you like old-school video games), and Union Hall (also not sure about vegan-friendliness, but it's got great ambiance).

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:20 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thanks for the tips!

For hotels our budget is $150 a night or less (preferably less). We'll have a car but will definitely opt for the subway when it's more convenient. I was thinking Candle 79 for my bday dinner because of all the great things I've heard - unless someone steers me in another direction. That will probably be our only pricey (more than $15/20 an entree) meal.

For interests - I'd love to see a broadway show. Is that something we need to get tickets for in advance? I've been to the natural history museum, so any other museum ideas would be great (we'd probably just do one, at most). I love shopping/clothes/fashion, but my buget is more H&M than Stella. We're obsessed w/ quirky thrift stores. We love beer and a fun, upbeat bar. Barcade sounds awesome and totally our style. What's the atmosphere like at the vegan bar? Also, how about an affordable tattoo shop?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:16 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'd try Air B-n-B or some other way to stay at an apartment rather than a hotel, which you'll be hard pressed to find in that budget anyway.
MoMA is a great museum if you're only doing one. I agree on Candle 79 as a special dinner.

For broadway if you are flexible you can wait and try to get half price tickets on the same day; wildly popular new shows probably won't be available. this will involve investing a couple of hours standing on line (TKTS). otherwise definitely buy in advance and bear in mind it will cost around $100 per ticket. Off broadway is cheaper.

There are some outdoor flea markets you should probably check into, mostly on weekends.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:44 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

the Metropolitan Museum of Art & the Guggenheim museum are both a fairly short walk from Candle 79, which is nice if you want to see one of them the same day as your birthday dinner.

for cheaper food, Lan Cafe is a nice little vegetarian Vietanmese place in the east village that makes good lemongrass seitan & banh mi sandwiches. you might also like Red Bamboo (lots of fake meat) or Vegetarians Paradise 2 (same). Terri & S'nice are good places for sandwiches, but they're not exactly sit-down restaurants (Terri only has 6 or 8 seats, all counter). oh, and there's Buddha Bodai and Vegetarian Dim Sum House in Chinatown.

i've rarely ever stayed at a hotel in NYC, so i can't advise you about them. same with tattoo shops, and i've never been to PBRS.

there are numerous H&Ms in Manhattan, the best of which is probably the one at 5th Ave & 51st St. St Patrick's Cathedral and Rockefeller Center are both only about a block away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:04 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Also the Brooklyn Museum of Art has a Keith Haring exhibit until July 8. Prospect Park is nearby, both are lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:30 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

JillW wrote:
Also the Brooklyn Museum of Art has a Keith Haring exhibit until July 8.

oh man, i hope i can get back to the states in time to check that out!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:34 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

JillW wrote:
I'd try Air B-n-B or some other way to stay at an apartment rather than a hotel, which you'll be hard pressed to find in that budget anyway.

Holy cow! I'd never heard of airbnb and looked it up - so cool! I can't beleive I'm not familiar with it. I hope to use it for this trip - thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

A suggestion for Candle 79... if you can't afford an entire dinner there, going for a drink and splitting an appetizer or two is another good option.