| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the Mongolian BBQ seitan tonight, using regular green peas instead of snow peas. Pretty good and super quick and easy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:05 am 
WELFARIST!

I think I'll make the Mongolian Seitan next as I have some seitan in the freezer to use up. Sounds quick and easy, too but I'm not much of a straight up seitan lover where seitan's the star of a dish (usually like it shredded finely and hidden in tacos or a sauce) but we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

seitanicverses wrote:
I think I'll make the Mongolian Seitan next as I have some seitan in the freezer to use up. Sounds quick and easy, too but I'm not much of a straight up seitan lover where seitan's the star of a dish (usually like it shredded finely and hidden in tacos or a sauce) but we'll see how it goes.

We decided this would've been a really good lettuce wrap filling, so you could try it like that? I'd probably leave out the peas in that case though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The piccata's good! I think I prefer the taste of the piccata sauce in AFR, but the thickness of the sauce in this book.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Damn, the scalloped potatoes. I made an alteration (shallots instead of garlic), but otherwise followed the directions. They are amazing and I would serve them to omnis in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:17 pm 
Huffs Nooch

celyn wrote:
Damn, the scalloped potatoes. I made an alteration (shallots instead of garlic), but otherwise followed the directions. They are amazing and I would serve them to omnis in a heartbeat.

YES!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I guess I need to get scalloped potatoes on my list for the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:02 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I just made the spaghetti bolognese-- SO GOOD! I added some kalamata olives at the end. I seriously love this book!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:46 am 
WELFARIST!

This week I'm making the vodka penne with garlic bread and the mongolian seitan and garlicky greens. I was gonna make the seitan skewers with cilantro rice and sweet and sour sauce but I'll make that another time. So far, I've been very pleased with this book and think it's awesome. I like that it's mainly quick things cuz I'm a busy mofo but I don't want to compromise having delicious food available just because my cooking time is limited these days. I have to make the scalloped potatoes soon too. I'm just not sure what to serve with them...maybe some chimchurri tofu or something like that? What protein or other stuff are you guys having with the scallops? I felt by looking at the recipe that it would be a winner anyhoo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:49 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

seitanicverses wrote:
This week I'm making the vodka penne with garlic bread and the mongolian seitan and garlicky greens. I was gonna make the seitan skewers with cilantro rice and sweet and sour sauce but I'll make that another time. So far, I've been very pleased with this book and think it's awesome. I like that it's mainly quick things cuz I'm a busy mofo but I don't want to compromise having delicious food available just because my cooking time is limited these days. I have to make the scalloped potatoes soon too. I'm just not sure what to serve with them...maybe some chimchurri tofu or something like that? What protein or other stuff are you guys having with the scallops? I felt by looking at the recipe that it would be a winner anyhoo.

I was planning on making those potatoes with the seitan scallopini, and then some kind of green. The mushrooms, and crispy coating of that seitan recipe sounded dreamy with some creamy potatoes and then a green to round it out with something less rich.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Avocado toast is scrumptious! So surprised this is so good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:16 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

finally broke my book in! I made the Drive Thru burgers last night with the rice option (vs. tempeh) and subbing seeds for the nuts. I got 9 round patties and baked them at 375F for 20 minutes, flipped, and at 400 for another 10. I was surprised at how quickly they cooked! They reminded me of Sunshine burgers and could easily be gluten-free. I usually make bean burgers if I make veggie burgers, so this was a nice change. The special sauce was easy but not very noticeable to me or my girlfriend.

The sea salt and vinegar fries were really good, too, but definitely needed extra time at a high temp in my oven.

I also made the pancakes. I added a little more liquid to my batter, and they were good, thick pancakes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Avocado pesto pasta was good. Nothing earth shattering, but my 3-year old had three large helpings, so it's a success in my book. I also added the optional sundried tomatoes at the end and really liked that addition.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just bought this last weekend. I have not cooked from it yet, but the book is gorgeous! Everything looks wonderful!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Alfredo is delish and super easy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

I have since made the Mongolian Seitan and garlicky greens. Good, but I'm not a huge seitan fan. I agree with creep that it might make a good lettuce wrap filling but I think for me it is what it is and that won't make me like it better than I already do as I served it over rice.

I also made the vodka penne with garlic bread. The vodka penne was fine, a pretty basic but tasty tomato sauce, the real star of the plate is the garlic bread, which is really outstanding (my sister loved it) and is a perfect foil for vodka tomato sauce. (All vodka pennes are kind of plain to me--it's the nature of the dish in my experience). The garlic bread is a carry over to accompany every Italian dinner I will ever have in my life from here on in. It's super easy and tasty.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Sour cream = fail. It is a good garlicky mayo, but it is not remotely sour cream. Make it if you want an aioli.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

sunnybear wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

I was planning on making those potatoes with the seitan scallopini, and then some kind of green. The mushrooms, and crispy coating of that seitan recipe sounded dreamy with some creamy potatoes and then a green to round it out with something less rich.

Thanks for the recommend! I think the seitan scallopini is something I'll try at some point but since I'm not a huge fan of seitan and had the Mongolian seitan just last week, I'm all seitan-ed out at the moment. I think I'll make the scalloped potatoes with the lemon-herb tofu from Dreena Burton's book (it's a good, savory basic tofu that I can see going well with something like scallop potatoes) and like you, some greens some time very soon. Yum!

I'm trying the Peanutty Perfection noodles this week. I always love me some peanutty noodles so I'm pretty sure it will be a winner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:57 pm 
WELFARIST!

celyn wrote:
Avocado toast is scrumptious! So surprised this is so good.

I had this for breakfast with the same reaction of surprise. I wasn't sure I liked it at first bite and and kind of regretted not going with Marmite, EB and avocado on toast as I often do, but as I went on eating it, it grew on me till I loved it and was brushing up the crumbs off the plate with my fingers by the end, and now I'm craving it. I'll be having it for breakfast again tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:17 am 
ugh

I made the banana cupcakes with lemon icing again. Mmmm.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:19 am 

I made a bastardized version of the tomato bisque on Saturday: roasted onions, shallots & garlic in olive oil for 20ish minutes, added 1 can of plum tomatoes and 1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes with a pickled jalapeno, roasted another 25 minutes, an additional cup of broth when it was on the stove, and used Thai basil. It was delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:28 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

jdfunks wrote:
I made a bastardized version of the tomato bisque on Saturday: roasted onions, shallots & garlic in olive oil for 20ish minutes, added 1 can of plum tomatoes and 1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes with a pickled jalapeno, roasted another 25 minutes, an additional cup of broth when it was on the stove, and used Thai basil. It was delicious!

I thought about using canned tomatoes too since it's a long way till tomato season where I am. That might go on this week's menu.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just got the first round of espresso chocolate chip cookies out of the oven. I tore off a teeny piece and proceeded to eat an entire molten cookie. Yum.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The scalloped potatoes are freaking unreal. I think my russet potatoes were too big because I only used 4 and I still didn't like the potato to sauce ratio. I kind of wish the recipe specified how many pounds of potatoes to use, but it still did not ruin the recipe. The potatoes on top got a little dry, but the ones on the bottom were creamy delicious flavorful goodness.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:12 am 

kasiakoz wrote:
jdfunks wrote:

I thought about using canned tomatoes too since it's a long way till tomato season where I am. That might go on this week's menu.

I was kicking myself the past 2 days that it was too warm to eat soup here, it was so good! Same here about the tomatoes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next