| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Shopping for the chimichurri tacos & peanut noodles today! Excited for tasty food time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:29 pm 
WELFARIST!

The Peanutty perfection noodles were aight.

My fave recipes of the stuff I've tried so far are the Shitake Udon soup and the garlic bread.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:29 am 
WELFARIST!

Another favorite was the salad with black beans and citrus lime vinaigrette, forgot to say that one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You guys are making me really, really want to get this cookbook.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The peanut noodles were super tasty. Very high-calorie for something not super filling though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:45 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I liked the noodles, although I thought carrots alone (and the bit of cilantro) wasn't enough of a veg array to pull it off. I'd make it again because I liked the sauce but I'd add more variety of vegetables (like red peppers, maybe snow peas or sumpin).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I agree. My husband had the leftovers today and added some tofu.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:01 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the stuffed shells with Arrabiata sauce for my boyfriend's birthday. I have to say this is the first recipe I've been less than thrilled with, but a tofu-based ricotta is just never going to excite me. He really liked it, though! It was a little on the spicy side. It calls for a small amount of crushed red pepper, but it was spicy enough that if I ever make it again, I am going to leave that out.

I also made the Thai chickpea burgers, sans the sauce. They are ok. I prefer the Thai veggie burgers from Peas and Thank You.

I am planning to make the banana cupcakes with lemon icing this weekend. Can't wait to try them!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Arrabiata is supposed to be spicy! Otherwise it's just marinara. I'm pretty interested in those shells though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

creep wrote:
Arrabiata is supposed to be spicy! Otherwise it's just marinara. I'm pretty interested in those shells though.

This, I did not know. That explains a lot. I figured it was just a variation of regular old marinara, and I was so confused because I've never had spicy stuffed shells before!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I finally got around to making the avocado pesto, but I used rotini. Very tasty and filling.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:41 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I made the scalloped potatoes last night. Definitely a keeper! So yummy.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:55 am 
So Totally Yiffy

The Peanutty Perfection Noodles were fantastic, but I also added snow peas, broccoli and red pepper. I felt as though it didn't have enough veggie love. We made the Chimichurri tacos last night and those were excellent, although the sauce called for 1/2 cup of olive oil, I did 1/4, but next time I'm just going to use water instead of the oil. The fillings were delicious, though. We've also made the Polenta and Mushroom Ragout, which were good, the Avocado Pesto Pasta- which might have been the best pasta I've ever had and the Jalapeno Cornbread Poppers, which were excellent. This week we are going to thry the Mongolian Seitan and a few others from the book. So far we really like the cookbook. Is a bit heavy on the oil side, though.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bree wrote:
The Peanutty Perfection Noodles were fantastic, but I also added snow peas, broccoli and red pepper. I felt as though it didn't have enough veggie love. We made the Chimichurri tacos last night and those were excellent, although the sauce called for 1/2 cup of olive oil, I did 1/4, but next time I'm just going to use water instead of the oil. The fillings were delicious, though. We've also made the Polenta and Mushroom Ragout, which were good, the Avocado Pesto Pasta- which might have been the best pasta I've ever had and the Jalapeno Cornbread Poppers, which were excellent. This week we are going to thry the Mongolian Seitan and a few others from the book. So far we really like the cookbook. Is a bit heavy on the oil side, though.

I also decreased the oil in the chimichurri sauce to 1/4 cup, and it was still plenty liquidy, even after cooking it down. Overall really good though! Definitely not the 6 servings it claims to be. It was more like two for us, but I could see it being 3-4 for people who don't eat quite as much. Not 6 though.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:59 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I know...6?! My husband had 4, I had 3 and our son had one very, very overstuffed one and we were basically out of the mushroom mix. We must be pigs! :) I think the chimichurri sauce would be just as good with water instead of oil, so I think next time we'll swap that. The sauce was really good, actually everything I've tried from her cookbook has been really good!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

The scalloped potatoes are good but a bit bland to me seasoning-wise. Scalloped potatoes, like basic mac and cheese recipes, are always somewhat bland though so I added a bit more salt n peppa. They're really good in that comforting, homey simple way that scalloped potatoes are supposed to be and I'd make again. Maybe add one extra green onion or something, too.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bree wrote:
I know...6?! My husband had 4, I had 3 and our son had one very, very overstuffed one and we were basically out of the mushroom mix. We must be pigs! :) I think the chimichurri sauce would be just as good with water instead of oil, so I think next time we'll swap that. The sauce was really good, actually everything I've tried from her cookbook has been really good!

My husband and I both had 3 relatively full tacos, but there was leftover rice, so maybe we could've stretched it if we'd used more rice and less of the good stuff?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Has anyone tried baking the cornbread poppers instead of frying them?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:18 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

We made her Moo Shu recipe tonight. Will definetly be making again, these were a big hit. The "pancakes" were excellent and the sauce was perfect. I'm really liking her cookbook so far, the rest of the week are Chloe recipes, so we'll see if the rest of the week is just as good.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:37 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Ok, I will try not to post on this thread anymore, I'm just crazy in love with this cookbook now. Tried the Mongolian BBQ Seitan tonight, oh.my.joy. It was perfection in my mouth. Not exaggerating here. Trying the burgers tomorrow and the "meatloaf" and Chipotle Chop this weekend, I'm sure they will be winners as everything I've tried has been thus far. Seriously, if you don't have it, get it. Like, now.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:39 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I made the chimichurri tacos last night. I also cut down on the oil, basically halved it in each of the components. I loved the freshness of it but wanted some heat, so next time I'll throw some chilli in with the mushrooms, I think. Also, this served 4 adults and that was alongside a tray of roasted potatoes.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:42 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I made the Alfredo sauce last night, and didn't love it. I didn't add the miso because 1) she said it was optional; 2) I didn't have the white miso she recommended; and 3) I wanted it to taste like Alfredo sauce and was worried the miso would make it taste less creamy. Surprisingly, my main complaint is that it was a bit sweet. Not sure why--there's no soy milk in it; really just the soaked cashews, onion, garlic and lemon juice. It was quite creamy, but lacked the delicious of pesto-it was just kind of bland and a bit on the sweet side.

Overall I like the book though, and am going to keep trying recipes from it.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Did you use roasted cashews, perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:12 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Nope, the cashews were raw! Maybe my onions weren't the best or my garlic was a bit stale? I will try it again, maybe try a little miso and a bit of nooch and see what happens!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

emanningbx, I really dig white miso in mild cheese sauces...pick it up if you ever get the chance. My newish cashew allergies are stopping me from making this, but maybe I'll try it with sunflower seeds at some point, sigh. I miss cashew alfredo.

anywhoo, you guys really make me want to try the mooshu! I've been craving cabbage. Seems like it'll be a good one for a hodgepodge farmers market haul.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 26  Next