| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: post about your process and unfinished work!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

I always liked Ted Hughes take on Sylvia Plath's process which I came across years ago, and it really made me relax about my own outcomes and be more forgiving of my end results, whatever they may be:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Her attitude to her verse was artisan-like: if she couldn't get a table out of the material, she was quite happy to get a chair, or even a toy. The end product for
her was not so much a successful poem, as something that had temporarily exhausted her ingenuity.

I think that quote is applicable to any artwork though, if you replace the word poem with whatever you may be working on!

I'm working on a short story and the ending is frustrating me SO MUCH right now and I rewrote a new ending again this morning and now I need some time away to look at it with a fresh mind later, but every time I read the above quote, I remind myself that I can take whatever I'm working on in a different direction if the one I planned just isn't working and maybe reenvision it somehow or just make it happen in a different way. I have a tendency toward rigidity but the creative process often makes me--or sometimes just forces me--to be more flexible in my ways of thinking, which is a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:18 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My squeeze and I built a wooden headboard with storage for our bed! He did most of the carpentry heaving lifting but it was a team effort. It wasn't the most sustainable or cheapest product either, but we got exactly what we wanted, which Ikea couldn't provide, and no labor exploitation along the way. Did manage to use up some old paint from the wall to paint the inside.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:17 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Here's a process picture:

I bought a box of old finished models from ebay for about ten bucks. I've been using them to practice painting techniques before working on things I actually want to have look nice... You can see an attempt at a paint wash for simulating rust (it came out okay if i wanted things to look like they'd been sitting out in the open for years, but a little too intense for minor surface rust), some crappy lettering, and the whole things have been airbrushed to practice that.

I'll post some finished things in my own model nerdery thread.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:24 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

After 20 months of "sleeping outside" the exhausts of my motorcycle are getting rusty.

I've decided to paint them with heat resistant paint because an original exhaust is hard to find or damn expensive for my (27 year old) motorbike.

Before:

Detail before:

After almost an hour with a rotating wire brush:

Next step is to do the exhaust on the left side, perhaps sand them with sanding paper to make it more smooth, spray paint them both, and figure out a way to get the exhausts up to a temperature of 320 F to set/harden the paint job.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:36 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I am working on crocheting a teddy bear. I am making it a zillion times harder for myself by using self-striping rainbow yarn, so in order to keep the colors in order, I have to reverse several sections of the pattern and flip between several segments of the yarn. I am planning to do the exact same pattern in a solid color when I finish this one, which will seem super easy once I've got this crazy rainbow thing done! Oh, the things I do for rainbows.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Veg_Eric wrote:
After almost an hour with a rotating wire brush:

Next step is to do the exhaust on the left side, perhaps sand them with sanding paper to make it more smooth, spray paint them both, and figure out a way to get the exhausts up to a temperature of 320 F to set/harden the paint job.

Dang, that's some serious rust there.

I'm sure you'll figure out how to get your exhaust hot enough, heh heh.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:55 pm 

solipsistnation wrote:

Dang, that's some serious rust there.

I'm sure you'll figure out how to get your exhaust hot enough, heh heh.

So far the most of it just seems surface rust. I was surprised that a lot of the original (powder coat?) paint still seems to be intact.
I would put the exhausts into the oven but they are too big for the oven.
I don't know if the full exhaust comes up to the 320 F while driving it.

Today I meant to replace the very old front brake lines with new after-market steel braided hoses.

Got the wheel out, took a handle bar (clip-on) off, pulled a fork leg down so I could re-route the hydraulic clutch line (to correct a mistake from almost two years ago)...

Removed original (one into two) brake lines... and spend at least an hour to figure out how the three lines in the replacement kit would fit...couldn't figure it out so I gave up and used the original first line to the block that splits the line to two lines...but the two lines seemed too long.

Fitted stuff as best as I could and didn't fill the system with brake fluid as I had a feeling something was wrong and had a hunch that I'd have to disassemble it again.

Two hours after giving up and some searching on the internet it started to dawn on me that the replacement set wasn't what I had ordered, or that I forgot what I ordered.

I am now convinced I've got a set that is a two part front brake set to replace the original three part set-up and a rear brake hose. This means I can do a good deal of the three hour job again tomorrow.

(also notice the use of weight-lifter disks and a cast-iron cilinderhead to keep the rear-end down and the front wheel off the ground)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:55 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Veg_Eric, I'm so jealous that you have somewhere to work on your bike. I can only do super minor stuff on mine and have to take it to the shop for anything fun to fix.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:11 pm 

Pi. wrote:
Veg_Eric, I'm so jealous that you have somewhere to work on your bike. I can only do super minor stuff on mine and have to take it to the shop for anything fun to fix.

I live on the 4th floor of an apartment building and have a storage unit on ground level that's too full to fit the motorbike in it and it also doesn't have power or lights in it.

So I park the bike at the back of the building and then carry my tools downstairs. When it rains like today I can't do a thing cause I have no shelter for the rain.

Spray painted the exhausts twice in the shower:
(this worked reasonably but I think I still got some paint dust on the laundromat)

and hung them to dry on the clothing line on the balcony:
(not perfect but good enough or at least better than it was before)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:38 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, not bad!

I need to figure out some kind of homebrew airbrushing enclosure. I can't depend on sunny days... :/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:14 am 

wow Veg_Eric that's pretty impressive. Very ballsy to do it in the bathroom. (no pun intended).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:44 pm 

JillW wrote:
wow Veg_Eric that's pretty impressive. Very ballsy to do it in the bathroom. (no pun intended).

The bathroom is the only room with tiles on the floor and on the walls, so it's the easiest to clean if it get's dirty.

Last weekend I started on my "gonna turn this in some kind of table" motorcycle engine project.

Start with complete engine in the hallway:

Valve cover off, camshafts removed, exposing the five valves per cilinder (quite revolutionary on introduction in 1985)

Cylinder-head removed:

Cylinder block/barrels and pistons removed, also clutch taken out

...spilled motor-oil on to carpet while loosening nuts in order to be able to split motor-block case...luckily I meant to replace that carpet anyway.

Cleaned up cylinder head on my chimney ledge..

Next step: find the right socket to undo that last bolt to split the casing, then remove contents of gearbox, clean everything and hope I can turn it all into some kind of display item/table.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:04 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

So uh I just ordered a second airbrush. This one is double-action and can do super-thin lines and stuff.

I guess I kind of have a problem. I suppose I should build a booth so I can airbrush indoors...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:09 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

...and so I did.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:56 pm 

solipsistnation wrote:
...and so I did.

NICE :D

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:30 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Here's the big project. I was building little models basically as practice for this one, which is a super-nice Japanese model of an obscure branch of the Panzer II line, the Luchs (or "Lynx"). It has a metal gun barrel and metal grills, and some pretty good tiny detail, including bits which are tiny enough to get stuck under your thumbnail if you aren't careful picking them up.

That's a test-fit-- most of the big bits aren't glued to one another yet because I need to prime it and paint the interior so it doesn't show up when you look through the grills on the back.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:37 pm 
Grandfathered In

As I have whined many times on many different threads, I am stuck stuck stuck with the middle grade novel I'm (not) writing. I'm at around page 220 or so on the first draft, and I have really gotten nowhere in the last couple years. It drives me crazy, but my perfectionism, laziness, fear, and all-around shitty attitude keep me from accomplishing anything.

In my life, I've written tons and tons of stuff. But I've finished very little. I'm pretty good at having written. I'm terrible at writing.

It haunts me and makes me miserable.

But I really need to finish this and try to get it published before books-on-paper go away. So I've got, what, another year?

(I'm kidding. I hope.)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:48 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm still stuck on chapter one of my book. I keep re-working it because I feel like I need a really strong start to spring from but I'm also starting to think I should move on into other parts of the story and just leave the opening alone for now. I'll probably change it several times over between now and finishing (finishing could take years for me, too) anyhoo so I don't need to sweat it so much this early in the process.

I also have a couple of half finished and completed drafts of some new shorter ideas to work on when I need a break from doing the novel thing, but I'm basically making myself work on the novel now exclusively until I leave for my trip in June.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm rooting for you guys! *fistpump*

FootFace wrote:
It drives me crazy, but my perfectionism, laziness, fear, and all-around shitty attitude keep me from accomplishing anything.

This describes me perfectly. I feel your pain.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:32 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

seitanicverses wrote:
but I'm also starting to think I should move on into other parts of the story and just leave the opening alone for now. I'll probably change it several times over between now and finishing

Onward!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

pandacookie wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
but I'm also starting to think I should move on into other parts of the story and just leave the opening alone for now. I'll probably change it several times over between now and finishing

Onward!

Woot! I moved on! Chapter 3 was revised this morning. And more small changes to chapter 1 and 2 because I can't leave well enough alone, but I won't kick myself about backsliding a bit on that. Onward, onward, dawnward!!!!

Also, I should add that at some stage in every dramatic prose project I think I have ever done (that winds up ultimately being completed - which to me is success), it goes through a black comedy phase which means there comes a time with every single drama-type manuscript--and always pretty late in the game of revising, too--where I'm about ready to throw up my hands because I'm frustrated and think it's junk and believe the only way to salvage all this work to make it a black comedy, because I can always write black comedy, or so I believe. So now "black comedy" is considered a phase of mine, just like the "thesaurus" phase used to be integral to every poetry manuscript I wrote. I no longer have a thesaurus phase when I write poetry though. I figure I'll grow out of the black comedy thing with more time and practice in my prose writing.

That said, I'm far, far away from any "black comedy" phase in this particular manuscript, but I'm sneaking little funnies and jibes in when I can, because who doesn't like to have a laugh and also as a sort of preemptive insurance, just in case a black comedy re-envisioning is in its future...

Looking at chapter 4 tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement! <3

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:37 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

I am teaching myself bass guitar. I have too much free time and I would like to be in a band one day.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:25 pm 

I'm crocheting myself a crochet hook case!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:27 am 

I love the variety of projects in this thread! I'm taking what seems like thousands of product photos in preparation for my online shop opening, which is taking forever, & there's still so much to do, but I'm hopeful for a June/July launch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:37 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

New idea- Teach myself to draw tentacles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next