| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:56 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mapmapmap wrote:
Someone earlier on this thread recommended the Cloth-eez Two-Sided Wipes from GMD, so that's what I was planning to order. Pack of 12 for $10.95 (plus shipping). Those babykicks wipes GuineaPig likes are 10 for $15.95. The Charlie Banana wipes Mandycoot likes are 10 for $17.99.

That is what I am using. They are not fancy, but they get the job done. I sometimes wish they were a little softer, but then I am not sure it would get the poop off so well. If I needed more wipes, I wouldn't bother looking for a different kind though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I love the GMD wipes but I haven't tried anything else to compare them to

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:08 am 
Saggy Butt

mapmapmap wrote:
Someone earlier on this thread recommended the Cloth-eez Two-Sided Wipes from GMD, so that's what I was planning to order. Pack of 12 for $10.95 (plus shipping). Those babykicks wipes GuineaPig likes are 10 for $15.95. The Charlie Banana wipes Mandycoot likes are 10 for $17.99.

I checked on Amazon and they don't even have the plain og cotton Charlie Banana wipes listed anymore! They were only $10 per package of 10 wipes (but came in a 2-pack for $20). The ones that cost $17.99 are the cotton/fleece ones, I think. Sorry about that! I wonder where they went... I was hoping to buy more eventually. :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:40 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

GuineaPig wrote:
Audrey wrote:
yeah I'm interested in cloth wipe recommendations too! there were like a million different kinds on etsy and I got overwhelmed. Definitely gonna go the "family cloth" route here too because I'm peeing a million times a day and using tons of tp. I even saw one etsy seller who makes cloth wipes the same size as regular toilet paper and has them snapped together to go on a regular toilet roll, same for paper towels, and while they were much more expensive than just a stack of wipes, I'm intrigued.

I'm intrigued as well. Heck, we're already doing the laundry. What's a couple more wipes thrown in. Do you happen to have the link?

This is the Etsy seller with the snaps (just sayin', they are expensive but I am useless at sewing and the snap situation sounds pretty cool!): http://www.etsy.com/listing/95881098/snapping-flannel-family-cloth-to-fit?ref=sr_gallery_11&ga_ref=auto2&ga_search_query=family+cloth&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:52 pm 
Inflexitarian

Oh wow Audrey these are super cute. I can sew but I never have the time anymore and frankly, sometimes it's just easier to splurge and buy something already made to perfection than spend a month making it myself (and not doing nearly as good of a job). I love the paper towels and napkins too. They're not in the budget right now but they might have to be soon!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:00 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Audrey wrote:
GuineaPig wrote:
Audrey wrote:
yeah I'm interested in cloth wipe recommendations too! there were like a million different kinds on etsy and I got overwhelmed. Definitely gonna go the "family cloth" route here too because I'm peeing a million times a day and using tons of tp. I even saw one etsy seller who makes cloth wipes the same size as regular toilet paper and has them snapped together to go on a regular toilet roll, same for paper towels, and while they were much more expensive than just a stack of wipes, I'm intrigued.

I'm intrigued as well. Heck, we're already doing the laundry. What's a couple more wipes thrown in. Do you happen to have the link?

This is the Etsy seller with the snaps (just sayin', they are expensive but I am useless at sewing and the snap situation sounds pretty cool!): http://www.etsy.com/listing/95881098/snapping-flannel-family-cloth-to-fit?ref=sr_gallery_11&ga_ref=auto2&ga_search_query=family+cloth&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade

Oh man, and I thought stuffing pockets was a pain in the butt, but snapping together my TP? Though my husband would never, ever, in a thousand years consent to this so I suppose it's a nonissue. I am picturing my mother-in-law's reaction!! But I kind of like the idea of TP in whatever quilt fabric happens to strike my fancy. But if you're going to go the cloth route, why not just get a wipes warmer and keep 'em moist and warm (and separate)?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:08 pm 
Inflexitarian

For the TP I would just get another set of baby kicks wipes and put them in a basket by the toilet, seems much easier. But I love love love the paper towel idea. I think paper towels are so wasteful, I've started using them a little more because I can now compost them but having reusable paper towels around is just perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:25 pm 
Semen Strong

If anyone is in the Northern NJ/NY area, sign up to be part of the Great Cloth Diaper Change: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3202734465/efbnen

We are trying to break the Guiness World Record for most cloth diapers changed :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:37 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Asheville is doing that too. I am kinda bummed I need to work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:03 pm 
And you never will.

There are locations all over the world! Everyone (who isn't busy) should do it! I did it last year and will do it again this year - it was fun!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:27 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm stoked for the GCDC!!! It's going to be a blast to have so many cloth diapering mommas and babes in one place!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:37 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Our brand new washer has now decided to stop draining, so I dropped off our dirty diapers at the local laundrymat. They're awesome - use all green ingredients, support local cloth diaper businesses, and they offer cloth diaper services. As much as I like doing laundry myself (is it sad that I count the time when I'm downstairs by myself with the washer and dryer as "me" time?), it was so liberating to drop off that huge bag this morning, and know that tonight I'll pick up a bag full of freshly laundered diapers, all neatly folded, and they'll be so much whiter than I could ever get them myself. Ahh.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:46 am 
And you never will.

Isn't my kid's poop supposed to become somewhat solid one of these days? I feel like we've been in 'transitional poop' territory for over a year. Oh yeah, that's because WE HAVE.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:19 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Does he still nurse a lot, poopie? Ezra still goes back and forth from soft to solid a lot, and I definitely see more soft poop on the weekends when he has the milkmakers more readily available. It sucks to still have to scrape some of his poops off, but I don't think it's something to worry about.

Ezra had a pretty bad fall this past weekend and when I picked him up he had the stinkiest, most foul blowout ever! A blowout! It was horrible! I literally scared the shiitake out of my kid!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:35 am 
And you never will.

Oh yeah, he still nurses about 6 times a night and probably 4-6 times during the day (depending on how he feels and other activities). His poops are still the sticky, peanut-butter consistency ones that just don't want to spray off. He's had maybe three poops ever that I would consider 'solid', and they were awesome! They just peeled right off! I want more of those, but I guess I'll just have to wait until he decides he's not going to nurse like a newborn for the rest of his life.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:54 am 
Married to the wolfman

I read that as "he still nurses 46 times a day" and was like ha ha ha what.

The Emperor's stayed transitional for forking ever. They finally got solidish around the time he weaned totally. Honestly his poop is still often totally bizarre but I don't care because now he makes it in the toilet.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:16 pm 
And you never will.

coldandsleepy wrote:
I read that as "he still nurses 46 times a day" and was like ha ha ha what.

Oh god, some days it feels like it.

I guess I'll just have to wait it out until he can use the toilet! Thanks ladies.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:30 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Yeah, Walter doesn't nurse much at all (like 10 minutes a day total) and I feed him all kinds of fiber and bananas but his poop is still sticky and semisolid. It is the worst. I don't know if you've ever been in a town with a paper factory (maybe we only have those in Maine?) but paper factories smell awful, and Walter's poop smells exactly like a paper factory.

Flava, you know the smell I'm talking about here! I am always saying to him, "dude, you smell like Westbrook!"

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yeah, we've got sticky poop too, and Lydia is barely nursing at all, so I don't know what's up with that. Every once in a while we get a nice solid poop that I can flick right in the toilet, but usually, it's a sticky mess that doesn't come off easily. I'm guessing we just feed our kids a healthy diet with more fiber than the SAD, which would result in soft regular-looking poos in the toilet, but when it fills a diaper, it's a lot messier....

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

poopiebitch wrote:
He's had maybe three poops ever that I would consider 'solid', and they were awesome! They just peeled right off! I want more of those, but I guess I'll just have to wait until he decides he's not going to nurse like a newborn for the rest of his life.

Beetroot calls those "rollers." The first time he referred to them like that, Mr. Crabby and I almost died laughing. "I popped, momma, and it a roller!" \/\/e still call them that no\/\/. Beetroot's poops \/\/ere (and still are, although at least he's potty trained no\/\/) pasty, but Raygold's aren't usually too bad and are usually rollers.

(Sorry, Beety peed on my keyboard and the \/\/ doesn't \/\/ork).

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:23 pm 
Inflexitarian

Bum Genius question! (I doubt it warranted an exclamation point but I tend to have a flare for the dramatic sometimes)

I've been doing an occasional vinegar rinse with my bum genius and fuzzi bunz (I only have 5 fuzzibunz the rest of my stash is BG pockets and freestyles). I see that BG recommends doing 1/4 cup of bleach in the rinse cycle once a month but I've put off doing it because i'm worried the bleach will kill my bright pretty diaper colors and i'm also not a fan of the thought of using bleach on anything that touches guineapiglet - she has crazy sensitive skin if I so much as look at her skin the wrong way it breaks out into fits and tantrums (i.e. rashes and eczema). But, it's been on my mind so I thought I'd ask if anyone has tried doing the bleach rinse and what were the results?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:32 pm 
Semen Strong

I use biokleen oxygen bleach, and its awesome.
http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Kleen-Oxygen- ... 698&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:52 pm 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:

My entire existence is on amazon. I get so many packages the UPS woman and I have actually become good friends! I've seen this product before and heard some good things about it. If it has the Tofulish stamp of approval then I'll give it a whirl!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

I use oxygen bleach (I think it's Earth Friendly Products brand?) with every diaper load, but I do use bleach bleach once a month on everything since we have been battling a bit of a mildew problem due to humidity and chlorine bleach is the only thing that will totally get rid of the spots. I do about 15 rinses afterward and so far so good. It hasn't affected the diaper colors at all either.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:01 pm 
Semen Strong

GuineaPig wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

My entire existence is on amazon. I get so many packages the UPS woman and I have actually become good friends! I've seen this product before and heard some good things about it. If it has the Tofulish stamp of approval then I'll give it a whirl!

A friend of mine who is even more careful than I am and so knowledgeable about this stuff recommended it for getting stains out when you can't sun them out, and it has worked so well for us. I hope you like it!

Also, I hear you on the Amazon thing! With Amazon Mom and 2 day free shipping, I tend to get everything from them, and don't even go out to BRU or BBB any more!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 53  Next