| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please don't think I'm horribly vain, but. . .
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:31 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

has anyone had experience with Botox? I'm kind of scared of it, but have wrinkling in my forehead - I'm 22 - due to muscle tension that also causes extreme cramps in my face. I wonder if a Botox injection would help? At least with cramping?

Post subject: Re: Please don't think I'm horribly vain, but. . .
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

OMGs, you DO know what the abbreviation stands for, right? Just checking.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:40 pm 

Phoenix wrote:
OMGs, you DO know what the abbreviation stands for, right? Just checking.

Yeah, I'm well aware. They wanted to Botox my legs as a child to loosen up muscles. However, the doses they use for that are higher so the risk is a lot greater. My parents and I decided against it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm gonna watch this thread with interest because I have thought about botox before.

Breeder of dust bunnies.
Hermit in training.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:34 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I wouldn't fancy it for cosmetic purposes but I would like it for migraine. I think if the pain is causing you enough trouble it might be worth looking into. I would just make sure to go to someone trained to give it for medical purposes rather than cosmetic so they know exactly where to inject.

It's not nice when you think you're getting premature ageing due to health problems. My skin is terrible, possibly due to the free radicals involved in my illness, if I could have done something to avoid it I probably would have.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Okay, I am going to go out on a limb here. I usually try and avoid posting anything I think might even possibly offend, but - Botox is POISON. You would be injecting POISON into your self. You are 22 for gods sake. Lines and wrinkles are part of life. We are not SUPPOSED to look young and virginal for ever. Please do not do this.

I don't want to sound all judgemental, but I feel very strongly about this.

ETA - I didn't read the original post thoroughly. I can understand that you might be considering this for medical reasons. but I still think it is a bad idea. Please explore other pain reilief channels first.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:11 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

jogirl wrote:
Okay, I am going to go out on a limb here. I usually try and avoid posting anything I think might even possibly offend, but - Botox is POISON. You would be injecting POISON into your self. You are 22 for gods sake. Lines and wrinkles are part of life. We are not SUPPOSED to look young and virginal for ever. Please do not do this.

ETA - I didn't read the original post thoroughly. I can understand that you might be considering this for medical reasons. but I still think it is a bad idea. Please explore other pain reilief channels first.

I'm afraid you are being judgmental.

If you would like to be productive, perhaps you have a reason you could share with Sarah for your belief that botox is dangerous*?

*beyond the assertion that it is poison. Many medicines and other treatments are made from poisonous materials. When used appropriately and on the advice of a doctor, they are not only not harmful, but can be extremely helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:21 pm 

jogirl wrote:

They give botox for medical reasons on the NHS in the UK, it's used for muscle spasms and, more recently, chronic migraine. Someone really should tell them they're poisoning people.

Please don't tell people that medical treatments are a bad idea when, with respect, you don't really know what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:28 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't have any first hand experience with Botox, but a friend of mine did it between her eyebrows in her late 30s (she had a deep wrinkle from years of short-sightedness that made her look perpetually angry). As you can imagine she received a lot of judgment when she first raised the idea, but she went through with it anyway and she's happy with her choice. She says the key is to only get it into one place on your face, to be able to keep your facial expressions. And you have to get regular touch ups, like every 6 months. So you need a good surgeon that you trust, and it costs a lot of money.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:47 pm 
Dildo Queen

what other pain relief methods have you tried? if all the cheaper hippie ones fail you, then go for it. it's no fun living in physical pain (unless you are a masochist). would acupuncture help (might be covered under insurance?) valerian root on a regular basis?

unfortunately wrinkles are forever, so even botox won't eliminate them (permanently) and like aelle said, that shiitake's expensive. i understand that being 22 you don't want wrinkles but they probably aren't as bad as you perceive them!! :)

have you gone to a doctor?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:52 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I know my mom's dentist recommended it to her to get rid of headaches she was getting having something to do with her jaw - I don't really remember, I don't listen when she talks. I don't even remember if she ended up going through with it. I mean, I guess the good thing is that if you do it once and it sucks or doesn't work, you don't have to ever do it again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:00 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

A little skimming of the internets tells me that Botox is usually used for spasmodic muscle issues. So if your muscle tension is related to spasms, I'd say make an appointment with your doctor to discuss it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:11 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

fezza wrote:
They give botox for medical reasons on the NHS in the UK, it's used for muscle spasms and, more recently, chronic migraine. Someone really should tell them they're poisoning people.

Well, they are. It's Botulism Toxin. It is, by definition, poison.

It is also, however, a very useful and effective medical tool for most of the reasons described above-- muscle relaxation and especially migraines.

Lots of things that we use for medical or recreational purposes are toxic in larger or less-controlled doses. Being a toxin does not automatically make it a bad thing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:58 pm 
Chard Martyr

solipsistnation wrote:
fezza wrote:

Well, they are. It's Botulism Toxin. It is, by definition, poison.

It is also, however, a very useful and effective medical tool for most of the reasons described above-- muscle relaxation and especially migraines.

Lots of things that we use for medical or recreational purposes are toxic in larger or less-controlled doses. Being a toxin does not automatically make it a bad thing.

Please don't take quotes out of context. Please read her entire post.

Anyway, I'd do it for non-medical purposes. Because I'm vain.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:02 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Meggs wrote:

I would too and I don't think that makes me a bad person.

Sarah, I would speak with your doctor if you're serious about this. If you are comfortable with it and it will provide you relief, then I don't see what the problem is with getting it done.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:06 pm 
Chard Martyr

paprikapapaya wrote:
Meggs wrote:

I would too and I don't think that makes me a bad person.

Sarah, I would speak with your doctor if you're serious about this. If you are comfortable with it and it will provide you relief, then I don't see what the problem is with getting it done.

I don't think it makes me a bad person, either. I have three creases in my forehead that I hate, and I'd like to make them go away. Let's have a botox party, paprikapapaya!

Seriously, though, Sarah, I know a LOT of women that have botox done on a regular basis. I'm not saying that makes it perfectly safe or anything, but like others have said, now doctors are finding that it is useful for medical purposes, too. If something will bring you relief, it might be worth a shot!
ooh funny pun.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

Meggs wrote:
Seriously, though, Sarah, I know a LOT of women that have botox done on a regular basis. I'm not saying that makes it perfectly safe or anything, but like others have said, now doctors are finding that it is useful for medical purposes, too. If something will bring you relief, it might be worth a shot!
ooh funny pun.

The original uses for botox were therapeutic. See a doctor. My advice is don't take medical advice from strangers on the internet.

------------------------------
OkC | Google+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:19 pm 
Chard Martyr

dandirtyapes wrote:
Meggs wrote:
ooh funny pun.

The original uses for botox were therapeutic. See a doctor. My advice is don't take medical advice from strangers on the internet.

My advice is to listen to dda.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

My advice is to listen to Meggs

OkC | Google+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:19 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Regarding the "poison!!" angle, there's plenty of safety data out there. For instance:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20647171
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19945005
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19945004
http://www.dovepress.com/articles.php?article_id=4245
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20816423

Obviously, you'll need to speak to a doctor about underlying health issues. If it's deemed appropriate and safe for you I'd try it. If you'd asked me four years ago, I could have explained exactly which proteins are cleaved by botulinum toxin A and how it affects neurotransmitter release, so I'm aware of its properties. It's not as though the OP mentioned wanting to have this done in a shady clinic that doesn't use the regulated version, or going for a DIY approach involving isolating the toxin from cans of contaminated food.

Last edited by Chipmunk on Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:47 am 
Dildo Queen

Chipmunk wrote:
It's not as though the OP mentioned wanting to have this done in a shady clinic that doesn't use the regulated version, or going for a DIY approach involving isolating the toxin from cans of contaminated food.

can you imagine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:02 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

jordanpattern wrote:

fezza wrote:
Please don't tell people that medical treatments are a bad idea when, with respect, you don't really know what you're talking about.

I am really sorry I offended/upset anyone. (Translate: or acted like a complete idiot). I have re-read my posts and the consequent ones and you are both right. My problem is I speak (or in this case type) before I think, which in this case (and many others) makes me come across as an ignorant fool. I have read the links people have posted. Obviously the OP needs to speak to her doctor and make the decision right for her.

Again, I truly apologise (as you may imagine, I have to do this a lot IRL too).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:25 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

If I were you, I would definitely consider it and talk to a doctor about it. I don't have any direct experience with botox myself, but I was thinking about it a couple months ago. Last May I had facial paralysis caused by the HSV virus and even though it improved after a couple weeks,for a long time I had painful spasms in one side of my face and some of the nerves obviously grown in the wrong place. My doctor said if it doesn't improve on its own, botox could help. Luckily, most of the pain is gone now and I only have minor synkinesis. But if I had continued to have problems, I would have probably decided for botox.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:46 am 

Definitely bring it up with your doctor! I have a friend who got botox injections to help with her migraines and the difference is like night and day. But of course, every body is different, so doctors can help you out better than we can :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:50 am 

Whooo! Chipmunk's here! <3

jogirl wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

fezza wrote:

I am really sorry I offended/upset anyone. (Translate: or acted like a complete idiot). I have re-read my posts and the consequent ones and you are both right. My problem is I speak (or in this case type) before I think, which in this case (and many others) makes me come across as an ignorant fool. I have read the links people have posted. Obviously the OP needs to speak to her doctor and make the decision right for her.

Again, I truly apologise (as you may imagine, I have to do this a lot IRL too).

<3 It's the SHOUTING IN PEOPLE'S EYEBALLS that does it ;] Most people have that knee jerk reaction to things like botox, it's why it's best not to say too much unless you've done a little research on it. It always sounded dodgy to me until I looked into it for my chronic migraines. The only reason why I'm not getting it is because they're not doing it in Northern Ireland, psh!

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next