| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A new vegan jerky my (semi) new company has for sale!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:11 am 
Tofu Pup

Just recently put out a new product called "What A Jerky!". Our vegan/gluten free jerky is named after famous jerks. We've got two flavors : Judas' Original Jerky & Yoko's Teriyaki jerky. We started as a food truck but have transitioned into a retail and catering company this past February. You can see our new website at http://www.morelstheveganbutcher.com We have the jerky for sale for $5 on our website, but we're giving away 10 packages for free to the first 10 people that email their name and addresses to Morelstheveganbutcher@gmail.com. Hope this doesn't sound like spam, as we are a very small business based in Louisville Kentucky. I'm really excited about this jerky and think you guys will really love it. The texture is amazing. We put a lot of time into making the marinade and it's a very long process of dehydrating the soy curls as well. Hopefully the jerky will be available in Wholefoods soon, as well as some small markets outside of Louisville soon. Hope to hear from you guys :)

Post subject: Re: A new vegan jerky my (semi) new company has for sale!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Emailed! I love jerky. Nice job on the package design!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:01 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

vegimator wrote:
Emailed! I love jerky. Nice job on the package design!

I thought the packages were adorable, too!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yay, my jerky got here today! We immediately devoured half the package.

They remind me a bit of Soy Curls, with a sweet and salty but not overly strong teriyaki seasoning. They're softer than I expected, but definitely jerky-ish. The flavor compare favorably to Jerquee, which I will never ever buy again after the nightmare mold experience. It's not a punch-in-the-face-with-teriyaki flavor, which is good since it doesn't get overwhelming if you, say, sit down and devour half a package in one go.

For $5.00 a package, you get a pretty decent amount, too. I'm looking forward to the rest of it, and while I can't say I'll mail-order TONS of it or anything, it's a good treat, and if I have any long road trips coming up I'll definitely stock up for road munching. (I have a couple of long drives in the next few months.)

So yeah-- recommended! Quite tasty!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:44 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just got mine today too! I'm going to try it at work tomorrow and will report back. I too had a terrible mold experience (or two) with Stonewall's, so it would be nice to have a less gross alternative.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

vegimator wrote:
I just got mine today too! I'm going to try it at work tomorrow and will report back. I too had a terrible mold experience (or two) with Stonewall's, so it would be nice to have a less gross alternative.

YES. And then either incompetence or sheer indifference when I told them about it, so yeah. Heck with them.

This stuff was quite tasty. I have a baby on me or I'd get up and get the bag and eat it all right now in big ol' handfuls.

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention-- in stark contrast to basically every other vegan jerky-like thing I've eaten before (which is most of what I've seen available), this jerky is dry and in no way greasy or sticky. You know that weird stickyness you get from Stonewall's? None of that! Or that sort of greasy feel from the one that comes sealed in 2 bags that I can't be bothered to look up right now? Nope! No weird finger residue afterwards or anything!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:25 am 
Discovered unobtainium

It would be useful to have a non- flash section of your website. I browse the web almost exclusively on my iPad these days. Those of us on iOS devices just get a blank page--not even a logo or email address.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:09 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks so much you guys! We're actually working on adding some more flavoring to the Teriyaki. Nothing that will be overpowering, but a blend of spices to add at the end of production. The original "Judas" flavor is tossed in fresh cracked black pepper and does wonders to the overall flavor. Will be adding some new flavors soon too :)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:16 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Okay, so I ordered a bag of the original jerky flavor, and it also is good-- very salty, though, and not a punch-in-the-face amount of flavor, but addictively tasty. It, like the teriyaki, could probably be a little more flavorful without getting overwhelming.

BUT: When we got to the bottom of the bag, while sitting in a dim room watching TV on the computer, I tapped the last shreddy bits out into the palm of my hand and tossed them into my mouth, only to discover that the bits at the bottom of the bag were basically ALL PEPPER!@ Yeah, I took a huge bite of basically giant hunks of peppercorn. It was a little less pleasant than the actual jerky part leading up to it.

Still recommended, but beware that last bite.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:18 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I forgot to post in here! Anyway, I had a sample of the teriyaki and thought it was lovely. I ate it in a day. I ordered the originial and another teriyaki. The original's good too but I think teriyaki's the one to try.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:40 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I took lots of pretty pictures of the packaging to for my blog, but: I really liked it but i'm happy to hear more spices will be added. It came after I had been gardening for half the day so at first I was like, "shiitake, I could make this!" but then I ate 3/4ths of the bag (I saved a little for Brian). But I can make seitan too and that doesn't stop me from buying Upton's on the regular, because i'm lazy and it's always nice to have relatively unprocessed convenience foods.

Jerky is one of our favorite mutual snacks, so if there is a larger/bulk package, I would be all over that. Oh, and speaking of size, I thought I was going to be getting a small packet to sample, not full sized product. So that was a nice surprise.

I would ask my local HFS to carry it, but they have a book full of product numbers and if it's not in there, you can't get it (we couldn't order Field Roast frankfurters for a long time and I am Daiya wedgeless).

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear