| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I rescued a cat!
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:53 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I have never had a cat before, so this is COMPLETELY new to me. So far it's been interesting for me. The food she has been eating is Friskies (which is obviously terrible... loaded with by product and fillers that I don't want to feed my new kitty!). Any tips or recommendations on food/litter/anything? Thaaanks. :)

Post subject: Re: I rescued a cat!
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:45 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Congratulations! I feed my cats a mix of Newman's Own and Nutrisource, but I hear a lot of people like Wellness brand. For litter I use World's Best and the clumping ability is amazing. Post some pictures of the kitty.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:22 am 
WELFARIST!

Yay! Congratulations. I buy prescription food at the vet but for a new kitty I'd just feed them whatever they like at first until they're comfy in their new home and then maybe see what else is out there. I like clumping litters as well. Don't flush the clumps down the toilet though.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Congrats!! I kinda did the same thing about 2 years ago this July when I got Luna (side note: today is her actual birthday)..
I never owned a cat before, and most of my life didn't care for them due to a bad experience when I was about 4...

I was working at the Michigan Pet-a-Palooza and before I knew it, against pretty much everyones advice, I went home with a kitty.

Easily one of the best decisions of my life. Quite the learning experience and I can tell you that every moment I've had with her is worth it. You'll be so happy with your new family member!!!

As for food, Luna really likes Wellness. We started her off on the kitten formula and now have her eating the Indoor Health one.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:15 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I'm Luna's other parent, so I'm chiming in to also congratulate you on your new little lady. Yes, we use Wellness, it's pricey but good. We've started mixing it with HALO brand Spot's Stew, because the other cat we rescued has a really sensitive tummy and it's supposed to help with that (and it has!). As for litter, we prefer clumping litter- easy to scoop. We tend to get whatever is on sale. Some cats are really picky about their litter, but ours have been pretty easy going about it. Having a few toys around and soft places to sleep is nice for kitty. Our cats really dig the catnip mice I sew, but they also love crinkle balls which you can get in packs of 8 or so for a couple bucks. Oh, and boxes- cats love boxes.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:45 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I used to feed my cats Orijen dry food, though right now they're eating Acana because my vet thought the lower protein content would help with my baby cat's loose stools...turns out her digestive difficulties are probably because there is a mass growing against her GI tract so I'll probably switch back to Orijen eventually because I think it's better quality. They are both made by the same awesome Canadian company though.

My cats also eat wet food every day, which I think is important because cats don't drink a ton of water and so they can get dehydrated just eating dry food. They eat a few different wet foods, but my general rule for picking them out is no grain, no byproducts or anything that sounds sketchy, and generally no fish, unless it's way down on the ingredients list, because I'm not convinced it's that great for cats. Well Effie has been eating Tiki Cat tuna flavors lately because she'll actually eat them and because of her health problems she has very little appetite and has lost 3/4 of a pound in a month which is not good for an 8 month old...but in general.

I mostly end up buying Before Grain, By Nature (well I used to until they started refusing to eat it), Halo (even though I think it has too many vegetables but they like it) and Great Life Essentials because they fit those specifications and are $1.50 or less a can at my pet store. By Nature is the cheapest brand that seems like it's really good quality available where I buy cat food, I would have stuck with that forever if my cats hadn't decided they hated it.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:04 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My cats eat Whole Foods 365 brand dry (sometimes mixed with Spot's Stew) and either 365 or Trader Joe's brand wet. I give them wet once a day and dry once a day.
I've tried all the expensive brands and a prescription food my vet said they need, but they were getting UTIs and one of my cats is super picky. No problems since I've put them back on these inexpensive foods years ago.

I use Fresh Step cat litter, the clumping one. It smells the least and clumps the best out of all the ones I've tried.

Cats love cheap toys. Wine corks, bottle caps, q-tips, bent pipe cleaner, an almond (seriously, my roommate dropped one and it was batted around for 45 minutes!), a straw, pens, and anything they are supposed to have! I have a few pet store cat toys, they like those too.