| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE AVENGERS!!
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:28 pm 
Hip Goiter

supercarrot
Spoiler: show
that afterthought-punch of Thor
was HILARIOUS. One of my favorite little parts

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:57 am 
WRETCHED

So yesterday, it was hot and I was brainstorming ways to get out of the house. We hadn't been to the movies in years and the idea of a movie theater came up. We didn't go but then I decided to look up this movie! Joss Whedon? nice. Although, being 2.5 hours, I doubt we'd go to the theater to see this one, that is a bit too long for us to sit and watch a movie. I'll definitely buy it later on though.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:49 am 
Crazy bat lady

nickvicious wrote:
And if anyone goes make sure you stay till the VERY end credits. There are 2 (two) hidden scenes. One during and one after.

Nooooooo we only saw the first one, PM me what I missed?

We watched it last night & loved it. So many unexpected funny moments, like the first scene with Black Widow, in the midst of the action. I thought the pacing was good. It definitely didn't feel like 2.5 hours.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:36 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

We went to see it at midnight Thursday and absolutely LOVED it. I was very excited that Joss's voice didn't get lost with everything else going on. It was a Marvel movie, definitely, but you could tell it was Joss doing a Marvel movie. Everyone in the theatre was laughing at some of the jokes
"puny God" and the Hulk punching Thor got the biggest laughs
and there were some that I think a lot of people missed because the dialogue was so fast. I'm kind of excited that it's supposed to rain all week, because that just gives me an excuse to go see it again.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:16 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

gwenc02 wrote:
I was very excited that Joss's voice didn't get lost with everything else going on. It was a Marvel movie, definitely, but you could tell it was Joss doing a Marvel movie.

Absolutely. It was so good and SO WHEDONY. It could have very easily been a total caramel cluster, but he made it work so seamlessly.

Also, Tom Hiddleston was amazing. And Mark Ruffalo.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:17 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ha, I forgot about the caramel cluster filter.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:03 pm 
Crazy bat lady

Kelvia wrote:
nickvicious wrote:
And if anyone goes make sure you stay till the VERY end credits. There are 2 (two) hidden scenes. One during and one after.

Nooooooo we only saw the first one, PM me what I missed?

We watched it last night & loved it. So many unexpected funny moments, like the first scene with Black Widow, in the midst of the action. I thought the pacing was good. It definitely didn't feel like 2.5 hours.

Never mind, Ryan is an Internet ninja & found it.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:59 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I want to see this today but I can't find anyone to go with me! I cannot be patient!

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have plans to see it Friday. It's not soon enough. I've heard so many great things about the movie it's hard to wait.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, it definitely did not feel like 2.5 hours. It was so entertaining if anything I thought it was too short!

Also, it looks like Avengers broke the box office record for opening weekend (previously held by Potter Deathly Hallows pt 2). Between that and
f'n Thanos popping up during the credits!
I think it's safe to expect a sequel.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:02 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Hey Whedon fans, in case you didn't already know,
that's Alexis Denisof playing the Chitauri leader dude! I was also excited about Enver Gjokaj's little appearance.
Hooray for Whedon alums!

I can't wait for it to come to the second run theater so I can see it again.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:13 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

elouise wrote:
that's Alexis Denisof playing the Chitauri leader dude! I was also excited about Enver Gjokaj's little appearance.
Hooray for Whedon alums!

I can't wait for it to come to the second run theater so I can see it again.

I had no idea about either of those. Who/where can you see
Enver?
I'm going to see it again this week and I'll be looking for him :)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:28 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

gwenc02 wrote:

I had no idea about either of those. Who/where can you see
Enver?
I'm going to see it again this week and I'll be looking for him :)

Enver plays a police officer in the big climactic battle scene in the city. He's one of the cops that Steve/Captain America gives orders to.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

RandiJM wrote:
I had to pee a bunch of times

I was AMAZED by the fact that I didn't! I have the tiniest bladder in the world, but it must've hung on coz a work of Joss cannot be interrupted (same control manifested for Cabin In The Woods too). Loved it, loved it, loved it. ♥

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:10 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

nickvicious wrote:
Just got back from the midnight showing. Mind=blown! Mark Ruffalo was an AMAZING Hulk. Better than the previous ones we've seen on the big screen.
Agent Coulson! Why, Joss? Why?? He was a fan favorite throughout the last 5 films and there was even talk that they might do just a S.H.I.E.L.D. film with Coulson at the helm. He also just made his first appearance in the Marvel comics not long ago. THAT is how much the fans love Coulson. *sigh*

Ah, but that's classic Joss, isn't it? Joyce, Tara, Fred, Penny (Dr Horrible), the good characters always die.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:54 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

nickvicious wrote:
Just got back from the midnight showing. Mind=blown! Mark Ruffalo was an AMAZING Hulk. Better than the previous ones we've seen on the big screen.
Agent Coulson! Why, Joss? Why?? He was a fan favorite throughout the last 5 films and there was even talk that they might do just a S.H.I.E.L.D. film with Coulson at the helm. He also just made his first appearance in the Marvel comics not long ago. THAT is how much the fans love Coulson. *sigh*

Dude! I stayed to the very end. The people were waiting for us to leave so they could finish cleaning the theatre and NOTHING HAPPENED!

I guess I was expecting a death or two what with this being a Whedon movie but I was still so sad when Coulson died. And he was so cute in this movie.

My favourite person in the whole movie has to be the guy who finds The Hulk after he has fallen from the ship. "Are you an alien?"

Anyway, I loved this movie so much. The 3D was fantastic and I just love, love, loved it. It had Whedon all over it and it was definitely very reminiscent of Buffy season 5. I also thought Black Widow was kick-ass. I want to see it again.

P.S. I love Thor. And Mark Ruffalo.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:50 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sarah-Jane wrote:
nickvicious wrote:

Dude! I stayed to the very end. The people were waiting for us to leave so they could finish cleaning the theatre and NOTHING HAPPENED!

I guess I was expecting a death or two what with this being a Whedon movie but I was still so sad when Coulson died. And he was so cute in this movie.

My favourite person in the whole movie has to be the guy who finds The Hulk after he has fallen from the ship. "Are you an alien?"

Anyway, I loved this movie so much. The 3D was fantastic and I just love, love, loved it. It had Whedon all over it and it was definitely very reminiscent of Buffy season 5. I also thought Black Widow was kick-ass. I want to see it again.

P.S. I love Thor. And Mark Ruffalo.

Did you watch the Avengers before it was released in the US? Because at the world premiere Robert Downey Jr. said that afterwards they were going to shoot another scene in full costumer. Joss denied it, Ruffalo confirmed it so there was a lot of speculation of whether it was real or not. Theory was it was going to be a second after-credits scene. Looks like that is the case because everyone who stayed till the end of the US premiere got it.

And yes! The old guy that finds Hulk! "Did I hurt anyone?" "No, but you scared a few pigeons". That was great casting. Great acting. What he was saying wasn't even that funny, but just the way he said it was hysterical.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:24 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I watched it last night, so nope!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

SCIENCE BROS. <3 <3

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:39 am 
Inflexitarian

Fantastic! Saw it two nights ago and felt ludicrously happy for Whedon, and I guess everyone involved. It's really so well done. And yeah, I saw the during-credits scene, but didn't stay after that. I found out today about the end-of-credits scene (I hadn't looked at this thread until now), but apparently they weren't showing that outside the US...?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:45 am 
Inflexitarian

RandiJM wrote:
supercarrot
that afterthought-punch of Thor
was HILARIOUS. One of my favorite little parts

YES. That was one of the things that made the three (adult) dudes behind me giggle delightedly. Wonderful. :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We saw it last night and absolutely loved it. Best Marvel film yet, hands down, and it's definitely because of Joss. There were just so many little things that you knew in your heart wouldn't have been there if he hadn't been involved. And of course

Agent Coulson dying, even the way he died,

is so Joss. So good. I knew I would love RDJ, but I kinda fell in love with Bruce/Hulk. I told Mike we're buying it when it comes out on DVD. Joss has to do the next one. Seriously.

Mike and I spent about 10 minutes after we got home looking at IMDb to see who was a Whedonverse alum, and there were at least 5 (Enver I knew immediately, the girl at the end I was sure but couldn't place (also Dollhouse), and a couple other people (including Jeremy Renner! And Alexis!)). I'm so amped for the next one.

Sarah-Jane wrote:

Harry Dean Stanton! You might remember him as Andie's dad in Pretty in Pink.

elouise wrote:
Hooray for Whedon alums!

I thought Alexis was Thanos (credited as The Other), the red dude right at the end. Or is that who you were referring to?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

rachell37 wrote:

I thought Alexis was Thanos (credited as The Other), the red dude right at the end. Or is that who you were referring to?

Nope, The Other (played by Alexis) refers to the guy seen talking to Thanos. Thanos was played (or at least voiced) by an actor named Damon Poitier.

Last edited by elouise on Thu May 10, 2012 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:22 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Also, believe it or not
Killing Agent Coulson was not actually Joss's idea: http://io9.com/5909088/joss-whedon-expl ... e-avengers

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

missdelaney wrote:
I want to see this today but I can't find anyone to go with me! I cannot be patient!

I got my roommate to go.
My mouth was open in amazement for a good chunk of the movie.

I want to see it again.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next